i30 Owners Club

ScanGuage II

Guest · 79 · 22027

ouri30
On the lighter side there was a posting about the ScanGuage II.  Details can be found at http://www.scangauge.com

My main reason for purchasing such a device would be the additional fuel economy information, but the other info you can access would keep me occupied for a lifetime.

I've discovered two Oz sellers on eBay who are currently selling this for $190 including postage.  It can also be purchased directly from the US and with the current exchange rate, this would probaly be cheaper.

This guage would be an excellent addtion to the SX owners as it gives more info than the trip computer in the SLX and SR models.

I reckon this is worth a look.

Bob

PS Does anyone know if there is an OBDII port inside the cabin of the i30?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Bob,

Don't know about that port but it certainly is a nifty little gadget!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Bob, thanks for the link, will it work on our cars? also how does it hook up to give the info? thanks.

ouri30
High Lakes and other interested i30 enthusiasts,

From what I understand having downloaded the manual, you simply plug into ODBII port with supplied cable (cable has RJ11 socket - phone socket on the gauge end) and away you go.  You have to set units etc. and ou get to choose what info you want displayed.  The cable is 1.8m so should each even if you have to find a suitable way through the firewall (through an existing grommet.  The i30 is, I assume OBDII compliant.  The Hyundau Terrican CRDi is listed, but not the i30 as it is not yet on sale in the US.  All US vehicles must comply with the ODBII standard, so I assume the i30 is compliant.

Lakes, I thought you might knowmore about ODBII devices and was hoping you could shed some light.  Some of the 4WD forums have heaps of postings on this device.

Bob

Offline CRM114

• 2nd Gear
Hi,

the ODB port (plug) is under the dash, just above your right knee if you're the driver 8-)

No need to go through the fire wall

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quite tempting to have yet another driving distraction for me  :D  although accessing fault codes might be useful on the odd occasion of course.

£118 from scangauge.co.uk (149EUR). Cheaper on eBay
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

ouri30
CRM114,

Thanks for that information.  Having an OBDII under the dash would make fittting the ScanGuage II a breeze.  Fantastic.

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm pretty sure my OBD port is under the bonnet, near the battery. Will check later

ouri30
Shambles,

I've just jone out in the cold and stuck my head under the dash to check and sure enough, the socket is where CRM114 said it was.  Seeems that the i30 may have two such devices, one in the cabin and one under the bonnet.  These Koreans think of everything (or was it the German designers - says me proudly with my Germanic heritage).

Now, all you i30 owners who got theirs with the steering wheels on the wrong side, is your OBDII socket above your right knee or your left knee?

And lastly, who is going to fork out the money first to see how good these little guages are so the rest of use can buy with confidence?

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Confirmed here too Bob. Two blocks. Above driver's knee (RHD) and another just to the right of the brake fluid reservoir.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "ouri30"
Shambles,

I've just jone out in the cold and stuck my head under the dash to check and sure enough, the socket is where CRM114 said it was.  Seeems that the i30 may have two such devices, one in the cabin and one under the bonnet.  These Koreans think of everything (or was it the German designers - says me proudly with my Germanic heritage).

Now, all you i30 owners who got theirs with the steering wheels on the wrong side, is your OBDII socket above your right knee or your left knee?

And lastly, who is going to fork out the money first to see how good these little guages are so the rest of use can buy with confidence?

Bob

Hey Bob electric's or electronics's is not one of my strong points! :)  but i have friends that work with them, i could get one of these sent out from USA in less than a week if they are in stock, i have good contacts there. problem is they read out MPH & MPG and the US gal is only about 3.8 L as you know, i would rather have one that reads out in same measurements we use here. they have a lot of gadgets like that in USA some are very cheaply made i think they design them and have them made cheaply offshore. but they all seem to be accurate enough. not talking about this product just similar things i have seen over there.
Cheers

ouri30
There is no problem with the units of measurement as these can be changed easily.  I downloaded the pdf of the manual and it is all explained in there.  

http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/SGMan5_0.pdf

Bob

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Bob looks easy enough.
i might get one. can you see what state of USA it is made in?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Bob, thanks for the link to the PDF, it's a very good read. More in the scangauge than you would think, especially the bits about sending hex codes to the ECU  :shock:

Also, in the guide there's a link to a very good "Trouble Codes" website - www.troublecodes.net - although not really uptodate with later Hy models like ours.

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi All,

I first heard about it from some  who were looking for something like a trip computer in cars without any and from some who wanted to be able to capture power and torque output on the road instead of paying to using a Dyno. If I had the spare cash... I would love a ScanGuage .

There are lots of alternatives. Depending what you would like to have and how much you wish to spend. Take a look at the range of options here. http://stores.ebay.com/alpha-bid_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm Simple code readers at the bottom all the way through fancy Laptop displays.

Now do not waste too much time drilling down to things that you will never buy. I have already done enough of that for you all

If you are going to spend the money it looks as if a lot of research will be required to make a good choice.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Would have to agree with you bunyip, i have something that tell you a lot of things like this scane gauge but it cost a lot more and hooks up to a Lap Top for as you say fancey read out and can log and play back. but have to fid sensors to different things to get the full range of functions.
how does the scan gauge give you HP & TQ just going through the port. i don't think i can see an air sensor in the i30 CRDi system but i'm sure the petrol model has one, i know the air sensor is not needed to work out HP, with my system it has built in g force thats part of what is used to work out HP but you need to program a lot of information in as i'm sure you would need to with this. the system i have i don't feel like hooking up to the i30 as its not that compact but it gives out a nice graph on my lap top screen of HP and TQ just like you would get with a dyno test and we did some tests with my friends dyno and seem's fairly accurate.
thanks for all your research i think say $200 is not too bad if it works, as i wanted the SLX for the trip PC but as it did not have CC i did not want to pay the $4,000 as not worried about wheels and so on, so i think if i get the scan gizmo and it's works and gives me trip PC info all the additional info there would be a bonus. just were do i fit it?
cheers

ouri30
Well,  I've decided to get myself a Scanguage II and see what it can offer.  I hope to have it within a week.  I purchased it from an Australian eBay seller for AU$190 (including postage).  There are currently two Oz eBay sellers supplying these devices.

I am particularly interested in real-time instant fuel usage, throttle opening, inlet temps, plus a myriad of other information I hope it will give me.  I suspect that it will also allow me to change such things as Halo setup, that is if I can get hold of the codes.   And you never know when information about error codes might come in handy.  The other advantage I that this device can be used in other vehicles as well, such as our Getz  Click.

I'll let everyone know my impressions when the device arrives.

Bob

Offline Milo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Well, I can tell you that the Scanguage very well in the I30...   I test drove one recently, and put my Scanguage in, and it worked fine.

Didn't go through alot of the menus, justwonted to see if it worked... :D

ouri30
Thanks mILO,  I can't wait to try mine out next week.  Seems as though it has more options to play with than the i30 itself, especially with the XGuage and Adda Guage functions.

Bob

Offline Bluei30Crdi

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi All,
I bought a scanguage II from Wooders Garage in Hornsby roughly 3 weeks ago.
It all works well, excepting it seems to be upsetting the Auto gearbox when it changes back down as you are coming to a stop.
I have emailed scanguage in the states and as yet have not even received an acknowledgement of my email, so will probably ring them and see if I can get some answers.,
By the way, the port under the bonnet near the battery is a diagnostics port, not an OBDII port (totally different shape and purpose)

Cheers
Bruce

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Bruce...

Thanks for sharing that info... We need more of our members to contribute like that....

It's usually the same old few (we value everyone's opinion here)

Cheers,

Dazz

ouri30
Received the Scanguage II today and plugged it in on the way home.  Haven't played with many of the options other than setting the units, engine size, fuel etc.  It is easy to use in its standard form.

I offer the following observations:

The speed readout is spot on and agrees with the GPS.  it is never more than 1 kph out and only momentarily.  It could well be the GPS that is lagging behind (TomTom software).

The fuel consumption has to be out. (It may be more accurate when the fuel corrrection is calibrated when the tank is filled for a second time.)

It fits conveniently on top of the steering column in front of the instrument hub, provided the steering wheel is brought towards the driver a little. This is the preferred position for both my wife and I anyway, so no dramas there.

Of particular interest to me are the MAP readout, the Air Intact Temp, Speed, RPM.  While the LPH Km is regestering too high, it is never the less interesting to observe.  

I really haven't had time to fiddle as yet.  I shall provide a photo of the position I have chosen.  I did try putting it on top of the dash (the velcro pads gripped the dash mat fine), but I was not happy with the position and in one case the reflection on the screen.

Sorry to hear about the issue with the auto transmission Bruce.  If you don't have any luck and want to sell it, their may be a potention buyer who has a manual who might like the unit you have.

I'll keep you informed as I play with the features a little more.

Bob

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sounds good Bob, look forward to the pic's. i was talking to a friend that works in IT, he has one on a Issuzu Holden 3.0 TD 4WD Auto.

Bruce what street in Hornsby is that garadge? i'm not far from Hornsby about 10 min's away, also hope you sort out the auto trans issue. i'll ask my friend if he noticed with his Auto Diesel.
John

Offline Bluei30Crdi

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
John,
Wooders Garage are at U1 / 29 Leighton plc Hornsby, their down in the industrial area.
They deal mainly in Jeep gear, but are a distributor for the Scanguage.

The Scanguage makes my auto change back very aggresively, almost feels like 2 gears are engaging at once, rapidly slowing the car, other than that it works great, but I am reluctant to use it obviously too not damage the auto.

I am not  really impressed with LinearLogics' (the makers of the guage) slack response, but will keep on their case.

Cheers
Bruce

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "Bluei30Crdi"
John,
Wooders Garage are at U1 / 29 Leighton plc Hornsby, their down in the industrial area.
They deal mainly in Jeep gear, but are a distributor for the Scanguage.

The Scanguage makes my auto change back very aggresively, almost feels like 2 gears are engaging at once, rapidly slowing the car, other than that it works great, but I am reluctant to use it obviously too not damage the auto.

I am not  really impressed with LinearLogics' (the makers of the guage) slack response, but will keep on their case.

Cheers
Bruce

Thank's Bruce, sorry to hear it conflicts with the Auto Trans, hope you get support soon. what auto trans does the i30 CRDi use?
and thanks for the address good to know i can drive and buy one. i'll wait to hear how Bob likes his and what it tells him.
thanks again John

ouri30
Have had the ScanGuage II in the i30 since Monday.  I am very impressed with it.  Haven't yet calibrated the fuel economy.  That will have to wait until the next time I fill up the i30 in about a week.  

I have the following guages showing on the display:
LHK (Litres per Hundred Km - Real time)
MAP (Manifold Air Pressure - psi)
KPH (This figure corresponds with the GPS readout)
ºcIA (Intake Air Temperature - ºC)

I have positioned it on top of the steering column in front of the intrument cluster with velcro.  The cable is hidden and is tucked away under the dash above the plastic.  Looks very neat.

I have yet to fiddle with the advanced features such as Xgauge and add-a-guage.

See later posting by me for images of the guage as fitted to ouri30.

Bob

ouri30
Images of the ScanGuage II

These images show the location I decided to use to fit the guage to ouri30.  Guage is secured with two velcro tabs.

This image shows the guage without flash to give you an idea of the display colour I use at night.

Image taken with flash.  Note the engine is not running.  The LHK shows 9999 when engine is not running.

Side view of guage position.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Bob,

Looks like a handy gadget.. The placement seems to work well too (Nice.... :idea: Any chance of swapping it for a slightly used sports exhaust :?:

Offline TOMMO

• 1st Gear
HI BOB(OURI30), IM THINKING OF PURCHASING A SCANGAUGEII, JUST WONDERING IF IT HAS PERFORMED TO YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND TO THE MANUFACTOURS CLAIMS.
ALSO HAVE YOU SET ANYTHING ELSE ON IT SINCE YOUR LAST POST :?:

CHEERS, TOMMO

ouri30
Tommo,

Yes, it works to my expectations.  No, I haven't had time to set any additional guages.

The biggest challenge is to set the fuel consumption % correction.  I did as the manual said, but it was still a fair bit out.  Over time, future corrections should fix this.    I currently have it set at -31.5% and should know by the weekend if I have it right.  Once I have set this up, SX owners who install a ScanGuage should be able to use my correction as a starting point.  I am trying to match it to the i30 trip computer figures.

What is good, is the DTE figure which is correct after filling up and driving for a bit.  However the i30 computer gives better figures closer to empty.

The discrepency between the i30 odometer and the ScanGuage is around .5% based on the figures I got over 1000km.  The KPH reading on the ScanGuage is within 1KPH of the GPS I am using and mostly it is spot on.

Bob

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal