Members car collections...

Dazzler · 82 · 23983

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My Stepdad used to be a BMC dealer before the Volvos... Comfy seats in the 1800  :wink:

Dave... I am Jealous of your V8s.. I might have to check them out when I come over at the end of October... 8)

and Michael.. That's some Q car  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That sounds good Dazz, we'll catch up and I'll buy you a coffee and talk cars, cars, cars...........
I'm actually a bit partial to old Volvos myself. I used to have a 244GL manual, then a 264 GLE and my daughter's second car was a 244GL auto.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Michael & I have been reminiscing by PM about old Volvos (I was bought up on them at my Stepdad's Dealership as a Teenager)

At various times we (he) sold Volvos, VWs, BMC, Lotus, Jensen Etc...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

They don't make them like they used to. Thank God, some would say!
I even find that my TL50 which is nearly ten years old actually has more character than the 40th though, but perhaps it's just me. Perhaps in ten years' time the 40th will have it.
Some of those cars you mentioned bring back some memories though.
I've actually always wanted a series 1 Jaguar XJ6 manual, but never got around to getting one.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Nice collection of FPVs! And good to see you have a manual anniversary GT. I see one driving down the street and I think, NICE! ...then most of the time I hear the unmistakable sound of an auto and grind my teeth...

TL50, like a lot of AU stuff, was quite underrated. It's a keeper.

I have an NF Fairlane V8, but not a Tickford one! That's a keeper too! (doesn't mean much coming from a bloke with nearly 30 cars...)

And you like old Volvos! And series 1 XJs! And you have a land crab (although threatening to sell it)! A kindred spirit!

Ah, the conversations we could all have!

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Is that a first?

A Volvo, doing doughnuts? :lol:

haha nah even the poor little 4 cylinder ones go hard, as demonstrated here by me...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvXzVMSWRFg[/youtube]

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

It seems to blow a little bit of smoke from the exhaust.....

That's right officer, I'll have that rectified...  :wink: :lol:

Offline wearyone

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Durham
Passed my driving test in one of these
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C44181 The one I drove was 'the deluxe'
A flat twin, crash gears with rod brakes, the body frame suffered from woodworm and had a welded chassis.
The starter button is the one at the top of the instruments, and no ignition key

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Jeepers... :eek:

Racking my brains but think the oldest car I've driven was my first car (a 1968 440 cortina)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes I think we could all have a few good conversations over a quiet one (or two).
If I had my way I'd never sell my cars. I have a big shed but not that big, so unfortunately the 1800 will probably have to find a new home. It needs a full resto, although it is complete, but I have too many other things on the go to do that in the forseeable future.
I agree that a lot of the AU range was under-rated. I had a dedicated LPG (no petrol) AU sedan and that is now in the hands of my eldest daughter. It has done @ 450,000 kms and hasn't even had the head off it. The peripherals have gone, such as auto trans needed rebuilding, as did the diff, cooling sytem etc but the engine runs like new. It always had proper servicing, quality oils etc.
I replaced it with a BA dedicated LPG and it was nowhere near as good. I have sold it now (with about 230,000kms) but it was never a really good car.
I love the AU TL50 though, they are pure luxury mixed with performance. You can pick up good ones around $20,000 and considering they were $77500 when new it is pretty good value, especially when you consider they only ever made 58 of them, all individually numbered. I'll never sell this one.
The NL Fairlanes were just a great model i think, one of the best they built. I like ZDs, NLs & AUs.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gee what a great thread this is ... :D

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Yes I think we could all have a few good conversations over a quiet one (or two).
If I had my way I'd never sell my cars. I have a big shed but not that big, so unfortunately the 1800 will probably have to find a new home. It needs a full resto, although it is complete, but I have too many other things on the go to do that in the forseeable future.
I agree that a lot of the AU range was under-rated. I had a dedicated LPG (no petrol) AU sedan and that is now in the hands of my eldest daughter. It has done @ 450,000 kms and hasn't even had the head off it. The peripherals have gone, such as auto trans needed rebuilding, as did the diff, cooling sytem etc but the engine runs like new. It always had proper servicing, quality oils etc.
I replaced it with a BA dedicated LPG and it was nowhere near as good. I have sold it now (with about 230,000kms) but it was never a really good car.
I love the AU TL50 though, they are pure luxury mixed with performance. You can pick up good ones around $20,000 and considering they were $77500 when new it is pretty good value, especially when you consider they only ever made 58 of them, all individually numbered. I'll never sell this one.
The NL Fairlanes were just a great model i think, one of the best they built. I like ZDs, NLs & AUs.

I had an AU Ute was good but the three valve V8 i have now is a better Ute to drive feels much more stable at higher speed.
yes i like the the 50's as i like the Windsor V8 better than the latter offererings. i'm more a ute man, a and more a motor man than a car man, for some reason i love motors.
the most interesting motor i've looked at in last few years was a 1956 Bristol Cooper a friend had to rebuild so the owner could tour europe with out problems, was amazing how they went to the trouble to have high port intake, beautifull motor.
my friend has a XR8 last AU XR UTE 220 pursuit, he has almost 400,000 up still same 5 speed gearbox and still original clutch, he is building a new motor for it has stroker crank special block 325 cubic inch windsor with Alloy Trick Flow CNC ported heads he just finished building it and has been experimenting with stock cam @ different timing, has it making over 400HP and 608NM tORQUE STOCK CAM will have Crow make a new cam to timing and lift he wants and will use Autronic ECU Edlbrock EFI air intake with 82MM throtle body.
i also like Clubmans would like a Westfield with Hi Po Toyota 1.6 with Yamaha head four throtle bodies and use Autronic ECU, think it would be fun to drive just a mans car.
cheers

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Lakes, you sound like a true enthusiast. It's amazing how we all came to be on a Hyundai site, isn't it?
I guess I'm a bit the opposite in that I love cars but am not that mechanically-minded. I admire those who are and have that knowledge, it's just that I haven't. I just like driving the things. And looking at them. And cleaning them. And talking about them. And.... aghh, you get the idea!
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Yes it is amazing how a group of people that have a wide & varying taste in automobiles, have all got together on this little sight through there love of these little i30 Hyundai's.
nothing is ever perfect, everything has it's falts, but the i30 seems to be dependable, well thought out, and i just love the way the CRDi pulls low revs and gets amazing fuel economy, also seems to get even better with age. i think it will be a very hard little car to part with, as i can't see anything that could match up to it in economy. and i know once you get used to OK performance and outstanding economy then you change you feel bad about the fuel gauge going down fast LOL
cheers

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, I agree. I love driving my i30. I've had it for two and a half months now, have done just over 10,000 kms and it feels to be freeing up a bit, more responsive, nicer gear changes and a bit better fuel economy, so I hope that trend continues to unfold.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, I agree. I love driving my i30. I've had it for two and a half months now, have done just over 10,000 kms and it feels to be freeing up a bit, more responsive, nicer gear changes and a bit better fuel economy, so I hope that trend continues to unfold.

Hi Dave.. yes it will continue to improve for a while yet  :D

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Here's part 1 of my other cars :D

All the models are bought from BMW dealer, all high quality and made for BMW.

BMW M5

BMW X5

BMW 6 Series

More to come soon...

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Quality models Hemmi.....nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Great pictures of these old Volvo cars.
I had many of these over the years. Very very good cars (impossible to kill) but since Ford bought the company 1999, the cars cost to much and have all sorts of electrical and other problems.
My first car was a Volvo Amazon 121 and my last Volvo was a 940. But i liked the 164E best.

Cheers!
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Superb models Hemmi.. If you shoot one over my 3y/o grandson will make short work of it ... :mrgreen:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Great pictures of these old Volvo cars.
I had many of these over the years. Very very good cars (impossible to kill) but since Ford bought the company 1999, the cars cost to much and have all sorts of electrical and other problems.
My first car was a Volvo Amazon 121 and my last Volvo was a 940. But i liked the 164E best.

Cheers!

I agree about the new ones, they've lost a lot of their engineering integrity and sacrificed practicality for what they now consider "style", which is a very un-Volvo way to behave. My brother in law has an S60R, which is very comfy and goes like a rocket, but I don't think it'll make it anywhere near as far as the old 1, 2, 7 and 9 series ones did. Also there's no rear headroom, a bizarrely shaped boot and the most ridiculous turning circle this side of a dump truck. Overall, as someone who has a passion for the older ones, I find it quite disappointing. My 1986 740 Turbo HP (the '80s equivalent of the S60R) still has a bigger sense of being a special car too. 

Amazon is one of the ones still on my list to acquire. Awesome machines.  :cool:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
DID VOLVO MAKE A V8 POWERED SEDAN OR COUPE,MRHI30.OR ONLY 4 AND 5 CYL. REASON I ASK IS A NEIGHBOUR ABOUT 10 YEAR AGO GAVE ME A VOLVO SIMILAR TO YOURS WITH THE CHEV V8 IN IT. IT NEEDED A STARTER MOTOR TO GET IT GOING SO I WENT TO A VOLVO WRECKERS TO GET ONE AND THE GUY BEHIND THE COUNTER LOOKING AT ME FUNNY SAID I DONT HAVE ONE.I LEFT HIM MY PHONE NUMBER INCASE HE FOUND ONE AND THE NEXT DAY HIS BOSS CALLED ME AND SAID HE WOULD GIVE ME $1000 FOR IT.IVE MENTIONED THE CAR TO OTHER PEOPLE SINCE GETTING RID OF IT AND HOW IT HAD A FUEL INJECTED ALLOY V8 IN IT WITH VOLVO ON THE ROCKER COVERS AND EVERYONE IVE TOLD SAYS VOLVO DIDNT MAKE A V8. WAS IT FACTORY OR SOMEONE PUT A MARINE ENGINE IN IT? STEVE.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Amazon is one of the ones still on my list to acquire. Awesome machines.  :cool:

Amazon.. ? what's that about  :eek:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Awesome models Hemmi, very impressive. Factory-commissioned models are always great, but they're of a very high standard.  :razz:

No 2i30s, Volvo never made a V8 powered sedan or coupe like the ones in my pictures. One of the major changes from the 100 series (white car in my pictures) and the 200 series (like the coupe and the one with the V8) is that they were planning and developing a V8 so they widened the chassis rails at the front to allow the fitment of a "vee" configuration engine. The 100 series came with inline 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

As it turned out they abandoned the V8 project and went in to a joint venture with Peugeot and Renault to develop the PRV (Peugeot Renault Volvo) alloy V6 engine, which is what is in my coupe and was originally in my V8 one. That motor is often regarded as a boat anchor, given the performance is not a whole lot better than a Volvo 4 cylinder motor and they chew fuel and tend to pack up pretty quickly if not serviced to perfection. All the nicest trimmed ones came with V6s in them which, combined with the common engine failures, makes them prime candidates for engine swaps. The fact the 200 was originally designed for a V8 means that it's an exercise in simplicity to fit a V8 to one. In fact, if you look at the pics of my V8, there is a notch in the radiator support panel for the airbox and that is the only body modification it needed to drop in a 350.

So there was no factory V8, but it is a fairly common conversion. The cars are so well built and engineered that you don't need to upgrade any structural stuff and the brakes are more than adequate. It's very easy to get engineering approval for such a conversion.

The rocker covers on yours would either have been custom made or, more likely, off a Volvo Penta V8. Volvo Penta markets Chev-based V8 engines for pleasure craft and the like, although they were never factory-fitted to Volvo cars.

Volvo do make a V8 for the S80 and XC90 nowadays, but that is a completely different engine.

The 5 cylinder was never fitted to the rear wheel drive models, but I have seen a couple of keen people retro-fit them to the older cars. The Volvo 5 cylinder is a brilliant engine so it makes for a good vehicle, but apparently it's a tricky conversion.

Can you tell I like talking about Volvos?  :lol:

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Amazon.. ? what's that about  :eek:

haha they were known as Amazon everywhere but Australia. They were sold as 122 and 123 over here. One of the strongest cars ever built.  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok I know that model.. they were great rally cars in their day... :razz:

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

Hi!

This Volvo V8 engine (B36B) was mented to be mounted in the Amazon. It was also mounted in a truck called (Volvo L420 Snabbe).
A little video with great sound on this ultra rare engine can be found here.

Cheers!

• I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I liked the sound of that... :mrgreen:

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

Hi again!

Look at this great video of a 1953 Volvo PV with a 4 cylinder 2.1 L B21 engine from 200 series modified to 2.2 L with 1050hp. 275 km/h @ 7.90 sec. What a ride...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zyDgepdRDY[/youtube]

Cheers!
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal