i30 Owners Club

Vic Diesel, Alarm Upgrade and Tire Pressure

Offline darrellv71

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hey There,

I have been lurking on this forum since just before my i30 arrived in July and found it to be a great asset of knowledge.  I am sorry because I know the questions I am about to ask have been posted before but I was unable to see a clear “precise” answer to them (so apologies in advance)

Q#1 (for the Victorian, AU guys/girls – As Victoria still doesn’t have the newer Diesel as yet) which fuel is the best for mileage and engine care?  As of now I have only used BP Diesel and done around 3000 k’s and the trip computer says I’ll get just under 700’ks per tank (I realize this will go up as the engine wears in)

Q#2 I would really like the inbuilt alarm upgraded to at least have a shock sensor so if a window is broken or if someone hits the car the alarm will sound, any suggestions?  My previous SantaFe (from years gone by) didn’t have a motion sensor so thieves were able to break the rear window and snatch stuff (yes I had the rear roller covering the items, pure guess on their part that something was in there).  After the theft I had a shock sensor added to the alarm..

Rant:  Don’t you find it odd that Hyundai’s have anti theft in them but NO FLASHING light on the dash (like even the most basic cards, Yaris – cough) have this?  I mentioned this to Hyundai AU and the response was “why would you want that?” – Huh? I explained it’s more of a visual deterrent but I think the question was lost on them ;)

Q#3 Typically I drive alone (CRDi SLX Hatch) what is the best tire pressure for economy.

Thanks again guys and girls

Regards,

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Darrell from another Darryl  :D

Tassie is much the same as Victoria from a fuel point of view...Without the availability of premium diesel products it appears BP might be the best option (but I don't believe there is a huge difference between brands) - there is a thread on here about octain levels etc.. I will edit this post if I find it...

As far as the alarm is concerned I believe there is an upgrade available (have you asked your local dealer)

Hyundai's argument for no flashing light is that the stereo is integrated into the dash and is relatively hard to get out (although we have now found easy ways via this forum..

Again, worth a search under "tyre pressure" but there are differing opinions on this between members... Some go as high as 40 psi for economy reasons but I think 34-36 psi makes a good compromise between economy and ride... say 34 in the rear and 36 in the front.

Cheers,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome Darrell :D

Dazz has got it covered, and I agree about the visual deterrent when the alarm is armed. I fitted a lovely blue LED between the power points on the dash and it looks sweet. Very bright and very... blue.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
welcome darrell  :D

in NSW, i have tested a couple of the different diesels and BP tends to give me around 4.4~4.6L/100km but i thought it seems to be kind of unresponsive and is a little bit dearer. I tend to get about 4.7~4.9 from the caltex/woolworths diesel (not the premium) and it seems to be very responsive. both avg about 1100~1200km per tank of fuel.

I also tend to run with 42psi on all tyres as thumper once said and I like the ride (any lower and i start feeling paranoid that my tyres are flat) and my economy is shown above

I have also asked my dealer about the alarm upgrade (OEM) and he stated that since england (i think he said) haven't added the OEM optional upgrade, australia doesn't get it (some kind of link where we only get the options that england get)

But try contact your dealer and hopefully they might say different? I was kind of in the same boat, where i want to use the oem remote but have the shock sensor and at least a better security system involved that is relatively cheap compared to a full $500 upgrade or something from mongoose or some other company.

but hope you enjoy you car like all the rest of us!  :razz:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera

Offline FireFight

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mornington Peninsula
Alarm upgrade is in the options list for uk now, part no H6099500 cost £111.46 exc fitting.

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/accessories/technology/?modelName=i30&ref=185

I think you will find that the alarm upgrade in the UK only brings it up to the standard alarm in AU.

I think standard in the UK you only get one remote key, the upgrade to the alarm among other things gives you two keys....... maybe Shambles could confirm this.......

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
and another can of worms is opened. :lol:   welcome Darrell71.  options in different countries are very confusing. :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I can't confirm anything as I fought for my second keyfob but only have a CAT2 alarm/immobiliser (not the CAT1 Thatcham upgrade)

Offline karhung

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Caroline Springs
hi. welcome.

Maybe you like to upgrade to this alarm(I wish)

so what you think???

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

so what you think???

I think it would be a bugger when covered in ice and snow, but I like the sound of his car when he fires it up :eek:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Alarm upgrade is in the options list for uk now, part no H6099500 cost £111.46 exc fitting.

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/accessories/technology/?modelName=i30&ref=185

I think you will find that the alarm upgrade in the UK only brings it up to the standard alarm in AU.

I think standard in the UK you only get one remote key, the upgrade to the alarm among other things gives you two keys....... maybe Shambles could confirm this.......

All UK models now come with two fobs as standard and Cat II alarms.  The upgrade to Cat I, does give motion sensing amongst other things.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Kitjunky

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Flintshire
So why cant we buy the Hyundai Cat 1 kit and fit it ourselfs, £111 isnt to bad but im damned if im paying for someone else to install when im quite capable myself :twisted:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly

so what you think???

errrrrr
looks like a pain in the neck to be honest.
either its boiling hot or its pouring with rain (or snow as pointed out) or you have big fingers or simply, you forgot your damn code!
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline aktuls

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland

• i30cw 1,6 CVVT 5MT ISG, Champange Silver
Hi all from Finland, just joined the forum and wanted to know if anyone has yet done this upgrade from cat 2 to cat 1 by themselves ?

I've got some hands-on knowledge on car alarm install and done some car electrics tinkering,  so I'd definetely would give a go for this upgrade. I know that in Finland the dealer doesn't provide any upgrade at the moment, also the knowledge concerning the default alarm was very poor. Let alone, the door/hatch alarm alone is very very basic, definetely require a motion detect or something ;-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi aktuls..

A big welcome to the club.. I can't help you with the alarm except to say that the i30 is one of the hardest cars to break into.. They should have put a flashing security light on the dash though as a deterrent.. Shambes retrofitted one of those (ask him for the link if you are interested)

I can't recall any members upgrading their alarm (but I might be wrong) 

Offline aktuls

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland

• i30cw 1,6 CVVT 5MT ISG, Champange Silver
Thanks,

Hardest cars to break into ? OK, have to see about that once I get my car (its in fitting by the dealer at the moment, 1 week or so til I get it from the shop with addons) - hope its good, but with my previous car I had Viper alarm, it was so sweet and with all the addon extra functions you could play with.  Well, let's see how the oem alarm first :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi aktuls... There is a tread on here somewhere unless you smash a window which is not easy you need to take a front wheel off to get in  :eek:

mvasseur
Hi aktuls... There is a tread on here somewhere unless you smash a window which is not easy you need to take a front wheel off to get in  :eek:

I wonder how that's achieved, opening the car through the wheel well?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I wonder how that's achieved, opening the car through the wheel well?

Not sure.. the how hasn't been widely advertised (fortunately)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

mvasseur

Offline wardfam

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Frankston

• Frankston , Australia, Oct 09 SLX CRDi manual
I use Caltex vortex premium diesel,available at some outlets in Victoria,  as for tire pressure , 1 to 2 on board ,35 front 32 rear cold, more rear weight, up the rear to 34 , front 36, my personal preferences. Cheers Craig :D 

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Darrell & welcome.
i have driven down to victoria ,filled up had a good time and betsy took me back home on Victorian Bitter BP diesel :lol: ( she seemed to like it too) :wink:
Seriousely mate i look at it this way, i think BP diesel in Vic is as good as BP in NSW, but that's just what i think and i feel ok useing it. only thing i notice useing Caltex Vortex diesel, is after say 200K i start to notice a small amount more responce. but i have to pay attention to notice it. probably if i had driven all my k's from new on normal and never used a cleaner in the fuel, i just might notice a bigger gain after a longer period. but its not magic, just how i feel, like if a car truck or lawn mower or anything seems to be runing swwet, well stick to wat your doing.
i might or i might not have mentioned before, but will just mention it now. i have two friends with two different makes Common Rail Diesels, these guys are experienced opperators, one 50ish the other 40ish. both with around 350,000k or more, no problem, one uses Mobil Diesel, his resoning is he gets it cheap buys at same outlet every fill, he uses Shell Vortex oil, Wynes fuel aditive, the other guy told me he has always used BP diesel uses Wynes diesel fuel cleaner aditive too. he spends more on his fuel and oil, uses Elf Oil ( very expencive might be $25 per L ) both with about 350,000k trouble free. the guy with mobile Diesel goes for the budget, the guy with the BP is a one eyes Toyota man.
then we can take they company tuck its a large diesel a service team Fleet Serv mantain it, i don't know anyone personaly thats seen its motor :wink: it runs on Shell diesel, seems fine only 200,000k but i only drive it once in a while, i like it others hate it, but what i've noticed is after fleet serve do a service, i can feel an improvement in how it run's.
then we ha four cylinder Toyota 2 years old company van, and it never seems to feel better after a toyota dealer services it but they make it smell nice and they wash it. it's ok. just needs filling up with fuel more.
so just enjoy your car m8

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Just thought i would say . i run from 36psi to 40psi, & i try to check as much as possible. the tyres i have, stock SLX 16" Kumho seem to be good enough for me. but everyone has there own idea at what they call good.
for myself, if i have traveled this far through two states and out the back of NSW. and they roll smooth ( on rough roads ) they still look good after all this abuse. and they have not scared me once & thats through dirt mud coldmix hot mix water 50+ degree 0c, horse droppings cattle droppings, dead roo's other dead things on the road with bones broken. and i have not had a flat, also broken glass. thats what i call good
cheers look like they will go about 70,000k or close and thats watching pressure is high enough as that keeps tyre cool that seems to be how i get my best k's from a tyre. but if you run them low pressure they get hotter wear faster. i had 36psi mostly solo or two in car, but think about 4psi had dropped out through pores of rubber , then i put 40psi in all double checked & prayed the digital tyre gauge was telling me the truth :lol: then took four and lugage prob total load 450kg 1,000k or very close, as high as 3,500 elivation as hot as 38c air temp, road temps would be very hot. not one complaint.
cheers

Offline onine

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Lota, Brisbane
There are 2 ways If you would like to know I could tell you but not on the open forum

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

There are 2 ways If you would like to know I could tell you but not on the open forum

So why ask how in another thread? Whats your motive here?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So why ask how in another thread? Whats your motive here?

Well said Lorian (got me confused?) Wasn't sure that was what he meant.. :eek:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal