i30 Owners Club

Daylight driving lamps

baroudeur · 48 · 25146

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Are there any i30 models with factory fitted DRLs and if so where are they fitted?
My 2011 model has an empty fuse location for  DRLs so I was wondering if there  is wiring to anything such as switch or lamp positions.
It tests as live with ignition on but I forgot to check if it goes dead when the side/headlamps are switched on.  If it does then it would give a supply to diy DRLs.
I have just received two LED foglamp 881 bulbs for £6 from Hong Kong to convert  the foglamps to DRLs.  The LED assembly is  small enough to pass through the hole in the foglamps.  I will wire the bulbs directly without the OE bulb holder but  I seem to recall a post that said some LED bulbs are wired the wrong way so I am reluctant to fit one for testing in case it blows with reversed polarity but I  need to check the bulb holder for polarity to wire the bulbs correctly.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hi baradeur, this link shows how I fitted Philips DRLs on my CW.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11536.msg128015#msg128015
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
If you purchased these bulbs http://www.dealextreme.com/p/881-13-x-5050-white-light-bulb-dc-12v-28778 then their polarity matches the OE socket.  I have these installed in my car.

I'm using the fog lamps for DRLs.  They are on when the key is in the ON position, but will turn off when the head lamps are on.

Here is a  photo of the changes I made to the fuse-box:

Basically, I removed the original fog lamp relay, and added a 5-pin relay. I also added two piggy-back fuses: one for the B/UP fuse, and another for the head lamp fuse.

BTW: the LEDs will not blow if they are wired with the wrong polarity.  They just won't light up.

• 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I'm using the fog lamps for DRLs.  They are on when the key is in the ON position, but will turn off when the head lamps are on.

Basically, I removed the original fog lamp relay, and added a 5-pin relay. I also added two piggy-back fuses: one for the B/UP fuse, and another for the head lamp fuse.

BTW: the LEDs will not blow if they are wired with the wrong polarity.  They just won't light up.

Many thanks for your post which is most helpful and will save me checking connections.

Can you clarify some points please.

1) Where does the thinner blue wire go  to from your relay?
2) is red wire  from B/U fuse tap spliced to white/black wire to relay changeover contact N/O?
4) where does pink wire from relay go to at bottom right hand corner?
5) where is   the relay coil earth (12v -)?

so relay connections should be
85 .......12v +......................h/lamp fuse tap
86....... 12v -.......................earth 12v -
30 .......changeover supply....B/UP fuse tap 12v + ignition
87 .......not used
87a......foglamp...................via original relay terminal 12v +

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Sorry about the photo, it's a bit like a bowl of spaghetti.  I guess I should spend some time to trim the lengths of the wires.

1. Goes to the H/LP LO RH fuse
2. Yes.
3. The pink wire is for 86 ground.  I couldn't find a ground point inside the fuse box, so I wired it to the chassis.  If you manage to find an internal ground, please let me know.
4.  See 3.

Your pin-outs are pretty much the same as mine. 

One point is that I connected 87a to 87 on the fog-lamp relay socket.  This is fairly important.  I would double check with a voltmeter which pin (30 or 87) on the fog-lamp relay socket has 12V.  Don't connect to the pin with 12v.

Good luck!

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Sorry about the photo, it's a bit like a bowl of spaghetti.  I guess I should spend some time to trim the lengths of the wires.

1. Goes to the H/LP LO RH fuse
2. Yes.
3. The pink wire is for 86 ground.  I couldn't find a ground point inside the fuse box, so I wired it to the chassis.  If you manage to find an internal ground, please let me know.
4.  See 3.

Your pin-outs are pretty much the same as mine. 

One point is that I connected 87a to 87 on the fog-lamp relay socket.  This is fairly important.  I would double check with a voltmeter which pin (30 or 87) on the fog-lamp relay socket has 12V.  Don't connect to the pin with 12v.

Good luck!

Thanks again.
I assumed that the pink wire was earth but needed you to confirm.  The original fog lamp relay socket should have an earth for the Hyundai fog  relay coil so it's just a matter of checking which is which and using that.

On relays to DIN standard 30 feeds the changeover contacts with 87a normally closed and 87 normally open.  For our purpose, as the relay is being used  to break the feed to the fog lamp, only 30 and  87a need to be  used.  If you have connected 87 and 87a together  and this has  not bridged  the changeover contacts your relay  has a non-standard pin layout.
BTW From my extensive junk collection I have used  a mini changeover relay, similar to  the original Hyundai fog lamp relay and is small enough to lie in that space.

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/micro-relays  second item.  Pin layout clearly shown

Edited to correct error.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:51:18 by baradeur »

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Yes, I also thought that the fog lamp relay socket should have an earth on one side of the coil, but according to the schematic it's actually connected to the BCM.   I wasn't 100% sure how the BCM drives this signal in all states, so to be safe I used an external ground.

Post some pics when you're done.  It would be great to see the result.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yes, I also thought that the fog lamp relay socket should have an earth on one side of the coil, but according to the schematic it's actually connected to the BCM.   I wasn't 100% sure how the BCM drives this signal in all states, so to be safe I used an external ground.

Post some pics when you're done.  It would be great to see the result.

I thought the relay coil would be 12v+ and 12v- and hadn't thought about the electronics.  I think I will do as you have and pick up a chassis earth just to be safe.
Have you got a link to the schematic? I have downloaded the C'eed workshop manual so presumably it will be the same.

Will post photos when job done but I ain't David Bailey!  :-[

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Job done. 
I have wired exactly as you have done but used a mini 5 pin relay so I won't add a photo.
I did check the fog lamp relay socket for an earth but without success.  The Hyundai relay coil triggering must be electronic. I note that the fog lamp warning light on the instrument panel lights when the DRLs are on so it must be fed from the relay output and not the switching circuit.
There are two Hyundai 10mm earth bolts immediately behind the fuse box so I will get a 10mm tag and earth to that instead of my present connection direct to the battery negative terminal.
I have adjusted the two lamps to maximum range and now need to see how bright  they appear from a distance.
Of course the same set up could be used to operate other  types of DRL lighting such as LED  strips.  Just use  the relay output  wire ( the blue/black wire in the photo above) to connect to whatever other lamps are used.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
The schematics can be found here for the Kia Ceed (KIA_CEED_ETM_all.pdf). They are the same for the i30.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11447.msg126932#msg126932

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
The schematics can be found here for the Kia Ceed (KIA_CEED_ETM_all.pdf). They are the same for the i30.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11447.msg126932#msg126932

Thanks,  but I already have the Cee'd workshop manual CD and have just checked the wiring diagrams for the fog lamps. 

The FL warning light on the instrument panel is supplied 12v+  from the left hand FL supply from the relay and earthed through the instrument panel.

The FL relay coil has permanent 12v+ supply and is earthed by the FL switch.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Are you referring to page SD924-1?  It looks like one side of the FL relay coil is earthed through the BCM, presumably whenever the FL switch is on.  The other side is pulled to +12V via the tail lamp relay.   

With regard to brightness: The LED bulbs are not particularly bright, but I think they're sufficient for
the job.  Prior to installing them and using them for DRLs, in every trip I would have at least one car try to merge
into me from an adjacent lane.

Since enabling them a few months ago, this has only happened once: and that was a guy on a cell phone who was driving
like he would fail a breath-test.  Quite often now I see cars start to merge into my lane, but then abruptly
shift back; presumably because they saw the DRLs.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I have had no merging or "sorry didnt see you mate" events since I fitted my l.e.d. DRL's so happy bunny. I chose a completely separate relay & wiring system which gave me no problems at all.  :happydance:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I chose a completely separate relay & wiring system which gave me no problems at all.

How 'separate' is separate?  Assuming the Kia Cee'd wiring is the same as the i30 then  what appear to be simple connections turn out to be complex. 
Would you like to describe your circuit so it can be compared please?

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Are you referring to page SD924-1?  It looks like one side of the FL relay coil is earthed through the BCM, presumably whenever the FL switch is on.  The other side is pulled to +12V via the tail lamp relay.   

Just taken another look.  Are you using the Cee'd   manual  on CD or can you access a Hyundai version? 

The FL relay is earthed  directly through the FL switch via the BCM and supplied via the rear lamp relay but only if the relay is closed.  i.e. the front FLs only work if the rear  lamps are on.
The FL warning lamp is earthed at the instrument panel and supplied from the FL relay output to the FLs. 
This is why in my ( and your?) set up the warning lamp is on when the DRLs are on as they use the original FL lamp feed from the relay socket..

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I just followed the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid)
My DRL's come on with the ignition, go off when I put the lights on or if they come on automatically.
I bought a 5 wire relay off e-bay, pre wired, purpose made for £7, 2 - 24 l.e.d. flexi strips (high brightness) from an e-bayer in Germany for £1.50.
Some suitable wire & I also bought some flexible plastic cable wrap.
The relay came with full instructions for a novice but I have electrical knowledge.
2 relay wires were +ve & -ve for the l.e.d.'s, 1 wire for ground, 1 wire for the "off" signal I took to the sidelights & 1 wire for a ignition switched 12volts.
I mounted the strips above the current foglights under the bumper brow, following the UK height & distance from the side of the car guidelines.
Soldered all wiring connectors & insulated / waterproofed them then used the flexible cable wrap to tidy it all up.
No wires showing, all works fine & the l.e.d.'s themselves ar all but invisible until they are on. All in all took around 3 hours to do, since doing mine I have also done the same on a Peugeot 207.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Edit: deleted duplicated post
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 14:37:23 by baradeur »

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Dont understand the reason for the re-posted Post?

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I just followed the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid)
My DRL's come on with the ignition, go off when I put the lights on or if they come on automatically.
I bought a 5 wire relay off e-bay, pre wired, purpose made for £7, 2 - 24 l.e.d. flexi strips (high brightness) from an e-bayer in Germany for £1.50.
Some suitable wire & I also bought some flexible plastic cable wrap.
The relay came with full instructions for a novice but I have electrical knowledge.
2 relay wires were +ve & -ve for the l.e.d.'s, 1 wire for ground, 1 wire for the "off" signal I took to the sidelights & 1 wire for a ignition switched 12volts.
I mounted the strips above the current foglights under the bumper brow, following the UK height & distance from the side of the car guidelines.
Soldered all wiring connectors & insulated / waterproofed them then used the flexible cable wrap to tidy it all up.
No wires showing, all works fine & the l.e.d.'s themselves ar all but invisible until they are on. All in all took around 3 hours to do, since doing mine I have also done the same on a Peugeot 207.

Posts are crossing.  But thanks for the  quick reply.
You have done exactly what I originally planned but changed my mind on seeing tla's photo as   I thought the original fog lamps look more "pro" providing they are bright enough.  I have my doubts as the FL reflectors are not ideal but I still haven't had chance to do a test run.
I have  now seen some 28 led versions of the 881 bulb  on ebay after  ordering two 24 led strips - a bit dearer than yours were! Were your strips on ebay.de?

Mark II next week.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Dont understand the reason for the re-posted Post?

Posted in error not sure how....sorry.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

No mine were on e-bay UK Baradeur... I couldnt find the same ones for the Peugeot by the way... had to fork out £2.99 for them lol!

They look cool on that car though with a nice downward turn on the last 2 inches at the outside end... look like eyebrows over the foglight!

I know some guys split the light units which looks very good... but I didnt want to split my lights, & the way I have mine if there are any dodgy l.e.d.'s that fail its really easy (and cheap) to replace the unit.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Hi Ffoxy & baradeur would love to see photos of DRL on the car.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Just taken another look.  Are you using the Cee'd   manual  on CD or can you access a Hyundai version? 

The FL relay is earthed  directly through the FL switch via the BCM and supplied via the rear lamp relay but only if the relay is closed.  i.e. the front FLs only work if the rear  lamps are on.
The FL warning lamp is earthed at the instrument panel and supplied from the FL relay output to the FLs. 
This is why in my ( and your?) set up the warning lamp is on when the DRLs are on as they use the original FL lamp feed from the relay socket..

I'm using the schematics I linked to a few posts back.

Yes, my FL indicator light is always on now.  I forgot to mention it to you earlier because I don't really notice it any more.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi Ffoxy & baradeur would love to see photos of DRL on the car.

There is nothing to see on mine as I used the O.E. fog lamps with led bulbs.

To be honest I am not that impressed as viewing them from 100 metres they are not that bright.  Not surprising as the fog lamp reflectors are designed to cut off the light close to the front  of the car.
I am waiting for the 24cm led strip lights  to arrive so I can try them fitted around the edge of the fog lamps.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
An update on my DRLs.
The led strips arrived but I am not impressed with the quality.  One set has a faulty strip with exposed soldered connections and a second set ordered a day after the first still has not arrived and neither have the promised replacements.

As I was disappointed with the output from the  led bulbs I then bought some "xenon" blue tinted standard 881 bulbs.  Made in Japan and  not bad at £6.99 for two. These give a 'whiter'  light than the standard OE Phillips bulb  and  do appear brighter in daylight when viewed from a distance.  As they are rated @ 300 hours the short life may make them expensive as DRLs but I'll see how it goes.

Using the headlamp flasher today I realised that this causes the DRLs to extinguish which was a rather unexpected situation.  It seems the DRL relay needs to triggered by the sidelights if this is to be avoided so back to the drawing board.

As the i30 fuse box has a DRL socket are there, in fact, any pre- 2012 facelift i30s with OE DRLs?  If so are they in the fog light location with a different reflector?

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
This is a question to the owners of new Hyundai i30 as it seems similar to a new Cee'd:
I wonder if any model of i30 is fitted with bulb DRL (I mean not a LED one)? What type of bulb does it come with?

KIA (my car: Luxe) has got P21/5WXL which appears a rare one actually, so I am eager to replace an original bulb with LED one.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
This is a question to the owners of new Hyundai i30 as it seems similar to a new Cee'd:
I wonder if any model of i30 is fitted with bulb DRL (I mean not a LED one)? What type of bulb does it come with?

KIA (my car: Luxe) has got P21/5WXL which appears a rare one actually, so I am eager to replace an original bulb with LED one.

All 2012 UK i30's have LED DRL's................ :honk: :hatoff:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
[

Can we have a pic, not sure I understand your question.  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal