i30 Owners Club

Fairly quiet high pitched whirring/rubbing sound - is it a deal breaker?

Heady · 8 · 2587

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Been looking to purchase a reasonable quality 2012-2014 i30 Tourer for a while and may have finally found one.

Went to view it (2013 Reg13 Hyundai I30 1.6 CRDi Blue Drive Active 5dr (ISG) @ 39k miles) last Sunday and took it for a test drive.

During the test drive with the air-con & stereo off - I could hear a fairly quiet high pitched whirring/rubbing sound.
I noticed the whirring/rubbing sound when at 30-40mph through a residential area - once above 50mph road noise overrode the noise.

Initially I thought it was rusty brake disks - so used the brakes a bit - no change.  Then pushed in the clutch and coasting for a bit and the noise disappeared and reappeared when the clutch engaged.   I cannot remember hearing the noise while stationary.
So it would appear that the high pitched whirring/rubbing noise is either from the transmission, clutch (or turbo)??

I have test driven many other i30 Tourers during my search and I cannot remember any of them having a similar fairly quiet high pitched whirring/rubbing sound.

There are only just 2 more years of Hyundai warranty left and I understand that the clutch is not covered after the first 24months.

Is this noise something I should be concerned about?  Should this be a deal breaker?
  • 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon: Heady,

Well that's a tricky one to diagnose by remote control.  :undecided: We only have a petrol tourer but haven't noticed that noise in ours.

Be interested to see other replies. Probably nothing to worry about, but easy for me to say from the other side of the world using your money!  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Walk away if you have doubts.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Yes - good sage advice. 
It would appear the vehicle has been on the lot for approx. 90days so I'd expect that other buyers may have also followed suit.
The search continues.
Thanks

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Actually, depending on the condition of the vehicle, why not point out the noise and say not interested while it is present. They may offer to rectify for free. I wouldn't necessarily walk away unless it was a real HOS.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Actually, depending on the condition of the vehicle, why not point out the noise and say not interested while it is present. They may offer to rectify for free. I wouldn't necessarily walk away unless it was a real HOS.
The condition of the vehicle inside & out is spotless.
When I viewed it - there was the noise and paperwork issues (no V5). 
In the UK - you need a V5 form to tax the vehicle and become the registered keeper (different to the owner) to be able to put it on the road.  You can make a request to the DVLA for a new V5 form in the buyers name - but it takes six+ weeks - in that time the vehicle cannot be used.
I asked for the included "oil service" to be removed from the price as the vehicle needs a Hyundai major service within 600miles and an amount off the vehicle list price to take the V5 paperwork delay into account.  The dealer stopped communicating.  I never got to talk about the noise.
I notice today that the price for the vehicle increased by £500...
Ho Hum - the search continues.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
No V5 then i would, personally, leave well alone.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal