i30 Owners Club

Quiet tyres for i30

Lester · 124 · 60110

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland

Hey Phil, I just had 4 x Bridgestone Turanza Serenity plus fitted today. I paid $400 even (fitted and balanced).

Honestly, I'm still not 100% sure that there is a significant improvement in noise. I think the frequency may have changed but that's about it. Coarse chip road surface noise does not seem to improve. However, I did notice an unusual harmonic hum at around 90km/h coming from what seems to be the tyre tread at that speed.  I can't tell whether this sound was always there from the Hankooks and is only noticeable from the "different" quiet from these Turanza's??

Interesting… Pidim’s observations (post #85) mirror mine.

After my complaint about the bloody noisy new tyres, Bob Jane TMart replaced my Yokohama BluEarth AE-01 tyres with a set of Yokohama C-Drives on Saturday. Like Pidim I am experiencing a slight harmonic hum (happened on the BlueEarths as well) so just wonder if the Hankooks hid the noise with their inherent loudness.

I never expected the tyres to be ’silent’ but they still aren’t great - definitely quieter than the BluEarths but still ’sensitive’ noise-wise to changing road conditions. The reality is the i30 lacks decent sound proofing…

However, if I thought the BlueEarths had better grip than the Hankooks (which weren’t bad at all) then the C-Drive tyres are another level of grip. Excellent!

Interestingly over bumps there is a more solid sound. The BlueEarths sounded like they had ’thin’ sides - like hitting a thin balloon as opposed to a thick balloon - silly I know, but the only way I can describe it.
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Hey Phil, I just had 4 x Bridgestone Turanza Serenity plus fitted today. I paid $400 even (fitted and balanced).

Honestly, I'm still not 100% sure that there is a significant improvement in noise. I think the frequency may have changed but that's about it. Coarse chip road surface noise does not seem to improve. However, I did notice an unusual harmonic hum at around 90km/h coming from what seems to be the tyre tread at that speed.  I can't tell whether this sound was always there from the Hankooks and is only noticeable from the "different" quiet from these Turanza's??

Interesting… Pidim’s observations (post #85) mirror mine.

After my complaint about the bloody noisy new tyres, Bob Jane TMart replaced my Yokohama BluEarth AE-01 tyres with a set of Yokohama C-Drives on Saturday. Like Pidim I am experiencing a slight harmonic hum (happened on the BlueEarths as well) so just wonder if the Hankooks hid the noise with their inherent loudness.

I never expected the tyres to be ’silent’ but they still aren’t great - definitely quieter than the BluEarths but still ’sensitive’ noise-wise to changing road conditions. The reality is the i30 lacks decent sound proofing…

However, if I thought the BlueEarths had better grip than the Hankooks (which weren’t bad at all) then the C-Drive tyres are another level of grip. Excellent!

Interestingly over bumps there is a more solid sound. The BlueEarths sounded like they had ’thin’ sides - like hitting a thin balloon as opposed to a thick balloon - silly I know, but the only way I can describe it.

One thing for sure.. the grip and understeer of the old Hankooks were terrible. What a difference I noticed today as I took on my normal 30km drive to work and the familiarity of the roads finally sunk in that these tyres are definitely quieter and less jarring on uneven road expansion joins but the improvement in steering is certainly a welcome change.  I'm really enjoying these tyres more and more.

I don't think sound proofing is the issue in the i30's tyre noise but more to do with engineering design of the suspension etc.  Mazda engineers in Japan made a similar comment regarding the new Mazda 3 a few weeks ago and admitted that they need to do more work in this area.

The i30 is certainly a quiet car in almost every other way, so sound proofing is not the issue in my opinion.  I have driven the new Mazda 3 and tyre noise is slightly better than the i30, however, engine noise is much worse.

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
Hey Pidim, from your avatar it looks like we have different models - I have the 'old' model, and believe me, it needs better under-body sound proofing!
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey Pidim, from your avatar it looks like we have different models - I have the 'old' model, and believe me, it needs better under-body sound proofing!

Yes, definitely more soundproofing in the GD!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
hey @bitsumishi & @dazzler, I can't speak for the old model but GD is definitely well sound proofed vs other cars I test drove back when I puchased, however, I think that tyre noise is an 'engineering' issue based on Mazda comments and could also apply to GD series.

:link: Mazda finds fix for noisy Achilles heel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

hey @bitsumishi & @dazzler, I can't speak for the old model but GD is definitely well sound proofed vs other cars I test drove back when I puchased, however, I think that tyre noise is an 'engineering' issue based on Mazda comments and could also apply to GD series.

:link: Mazda finds fix for noisy Achilles heel

Interesting link thanks.. a lot of factors come into it...

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
@dazzle - yes definitely more involved that just thicker carpet or other insulation.  Golf reviews indicate that their tyre noise and ride is exceptional and certainly the benchmark in the segment. Today I parked next to a Golf 7 and noticed the tyres were Hankooks with a similar tread to what I just got rid of.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@dazzle - yes definitely more involved that just thicker carpet or other insulation.  Golf reviews indicate that their tyre noise and ride is exceptional and certainly the benchmark in the segment. Today I parked next to a Golf 7 and noticed the tyres were Hankooks with a similar tread to what I just got rid of.

That's interesting. I hope to find a quieter tyre for my Calais when the Bridgestone Turanzas wear out but that is perhaps 2 years away LOL

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

That's interesting. I hope to find a quieter tyre for my Calais when the Bridgestone Turanzas wear out but that is perhaps 2 years away LOL
I thought your solution to tyres wearing out was to change cars  :evil:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I thought your solution to tyres wearing out was to change cars  :evil:

I do the same with mowers too..  :whistler: :rofl:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I've had the same second hand mower since 2003.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
It's been a while since anybody wrote on this topic, but I got my reminder in the mail from Bridgestone to go in for my 5000km free tyre rotation and wheel balance.  I realise this is a marketing initiative so I'm wondering what traps they have planned for me to spend more money. Does anyone have any experience or heard of anything?  I can't imagine it would be a wheel alignment as it is too soon.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We're on the same deal, too. I assume they've given a written guarantee of distance for the tyres. Make sure the pressures are as they require, or they'll start to wriggle their way out of any responsibility. Regardless of what they advise, we won't be purchasing anything extra, the tyres cost enough as it is.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks Phil.  I'll make sure I check pressures on the way there..  :D May as well get this done for free in case HY dealer wants to charge extra to rotate tyres.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You'll have to tell Hy not to rotate tyres.  :mrgreen:

I wonder if Bridgestone will check balance and then want to charge you for that. We haven't had our 1st check yet but i wouldn't put it past them.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The Goodyear ASS included free pressure check, rotate as required and balance.  You paid for an alignment.
We would actually check and adjust tyre pressures as often as the customer wanted.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Alignment at what intervals :question:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Alignment at what intervals :question:
10,000 klms. But flexible.
The Cooper mileage warranty required the alignment done, but the charge was, lasr time I looked,  $65 for the whole service.
Reasonable for a 4x4.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Just get back to the topic........ I just picked up my new i30 and i bought a set of winter tyres on extra alloys.

I'd been a bit worried about which tyres i was going to get ex-factory.

The winters are Vredestein SnowTrac 3 (very quiet) and the normal tyres are Continental Premium Contact 2.

So, no Hankooks or other aisian rubber.

Maybe thats the advantage of having a production facility in Europe (Czech Republic).

I night be a bit biased but i've always come back to Continental, and i've always used them on my Goldwings.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, the continentals get a good wrap on here (unusual to get them ex-factory)  :eek: Maybe they have been monitoring our forum...  :happydance:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid: yeah my contis came ex-factory and boy am I pleased with them :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
You'll have to tell Hy not to rotate tyres.  :mrgreen:

I wonder if Bridgestone will check balance and then want to charge you for that. We haven't had our 1st check yet but i wouldn't put it past them.

Hey Phil, Bridgestone said it includes a wheel balance, so not just a rotation.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Oh, my wife organised ours, so I'd better read the document.  :-[ :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh, my wife organised ours, so I'd better read the document.  :-[ :lol:

From memory you paid an arm and a leg Phil (so it would want to) :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
This is what happens when you,,,,,, oh never mind.  :Pout:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
This is what happens when you,,,,,,mainsplain.  :Pout:

Fixed.  :happydance:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :snigger:

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I thought I would advise after taking up Bridgestone's offer. Turned up on Saturday morning thinking these guys would grumble and curse under their breath about doing a freebie job.

Anyway, I can report that they rotated tyres including a wheel balance without any attempt at selling me anything else. The guy simply said "yep sure buddy, give us 10 minutes". Didn't even have time to finish my coffee.  At the end he said "see ya in 5k".

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I thought I would advise after taking up Bridgestone's offer. Turned up on Saturday morning thinking these guys would grumble and curse under their breath about doing a freebie job.

Anyway, I can report that they rotated tyres including a wheel balance without any attempt at selling me anything else. The guy simply said "yep sure buddy, give us 10 minutes". Didn't even have time to finish my coffee.  At the end he said "see ya in 5k".
Pidim, give 'em a plug on here.
They deserve it. Most are franchises so if they're doing a good job, tell us.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal