i30 Owners Club

Tyre Noise

Paulq · 95 · 34595

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's not just Hyundai that suffer with road noise. Do a search and you'll see Mazda 3's suffer the same issue. Even the new Corolla isn't immune with plenty of complaints out there.  :undecided:
Google just about any other small car and I'm sure you'll find similar complaints....  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
:wttc: musicrab.

Tyre noise is an issue for some, but choice of tyres seems to be critical.
In that case Hyundai made a big mistake putting Hancooks on.  I cannot believe they test drove the I30 with this tyre on VARIOUS road surfaces.

They did.  I have now arranged to sell my i30.  I did a 250 mile trip in it at the weekend and on surfaces other than smooth tarmac the car was shockingly noisy.  The difference between it and the new car I am getting is night and day.  Why would you manufacture a car that (a) is so clearly noisy and (b) to stand any chance of reducing the noise the owner has to fork out c.£400 to experiment with different tyres?

What are you buying, that's so quiet :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Paulq

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Merseyside
That's a drastic step.  :Shocked:

I wouldn't say drastic as I put a lot of thought into it.  More of an indication of how poor I feel the i30 is  :mad:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That's a drastic step.  :Shocked:

I wouldn't say drastic as I put a lot of thought into it.  More of an indication of how poor I feel the i30 is  :mad:

Personally, I think that the i30 could, and should, be quieter.
But I can't agree that the car is poor.
It is a very well designed and executed car with mostly positive attributes.
All cars, yes, all cars have faults. IMO the faults on the i30 are minor, given the intended purpose the car was originally designed for.
I'm on my second i30 (and I have owned a lot of cars), and as I've said elsewhere on the forum, so many people can't all be wrong.
However, good luck with whatever you replace it with. I hope it works out for you.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline musicrab

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Farnham, Surrey
It's not just Hyundai that suffer with road noise. Do a search and you'll see Mazda 3's suffer the same issue. Even the new Corolla isn't immune with plenty of complaints out there.  :undecided:
Google just about any other small car and I'm sure you'll find similar complaints....  :undecided:
The problem is when you come from a quiet car to a noisy car - you notice!  My Vauxhall saloon is 15years old and is noticeably quieter than my 6month old I30.  (I'm specifically talking about tyre noise here).
And, is the I30 really a "small" car?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The trouble is, everyone wants economical cars but with all the gadgets known to man. The 2 don't mix well unfortunately as more weight kills economy. Modern cars weigh heaps more than the equivalent sized car of 15 years ago.

While engines have got more economical, much of this has been cancelled out due to the extra weight needing to be lugged around.
The solution has been to cut back on sound deadening and to make use of lighter materials. These obviously don't deaden the road noise as well.

And as for the i30 being a small car? Well, it certainly is here in Australia...there's basically "Light", which is your Suzuki Alto size cars, "Small", which covers the i30, Corolla, Mazda 3 etc, "Medium" which is your Camry's & Mazda 6's etc & then "Large" which cover Commodore & Falcon etc etc......

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's how I see it, Rusty. And yet, as I look at cars while I drive, it's getting harder to spot the difference in size. I think the difference between small and large is getting less every day. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline musicrab

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Farnham, Surrey
I asked Hyundai UK about the I30/Hankook combination on UK roads and they said, predictably:-

"I can confirm that we have not had any similar reports from other i30 owners, however any comments on road noise are usually generated by a significant difference between the i30 and whatever car the customer had previously, and what tyres were fitted to it. It is true that different makes and models of tyres will generate noise to a widely varying degree due to the friction between the tyre and the road surface.

I can only recommend contacting your local Hyundai service centre to ask them if they can check your car to see if there are any defects that could be causing an excessive noise.  If they are unable to find anything untoward, then the noise you are experiencing will be a characteristic of the tyre.

Yours sincerely

Andy Wells
Hyundai Customer Services"
  • 1.4 Petrol Active

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
So I was on my way back to town from Humansdorp and since the roads were quiet I decided to (naughty me...) record the tyre noise from the ContiPremiumContact2 tyres I have fitted. This is on smooth tarmac, basically what most of the main roads are made of here in SA (recently resurfaced and still sealed and black, as opposed to the older style roads where the stones are bare and the road has a very grey and rough appearance).

The i30 is quiet on this road, and you can actually hear the engine more than anything else. In the clip it sounds like there is a bit of wind noise, but there actually isn't :)

I didn't get much as there were a bunch of bikes on their way past and you can hear the first one going past near the end of the video, just before I stopped filming.

I hope someone finds this useful as I have seen a lot of posts whereby people are saying the i30's are a tad noisy WRT road noise.

:link: Continental ContiPremiumContact2 tyre noise - Hyundai i30 - YouTube
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
That is quiet - you rarely hear my engine over 40 kph - just road noise etc  :neutral:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
That is quiet - you rarely hear my engine over 40 kph - just road noise etc  :neutral:
Mike

What is your road surface like? The sealed roads seem to fare better than the bare grey ones like we have hear. I should actually tomorrow record the same speed on the yucky grey asphalt we have here for reference purposes.

What tyres are you running at the moment?
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

The original Hankook K415's.
Road surfaces are awful here - just returned from the Isle of Wight where you can barely hear the passengers speak. Part of the M25 is concrete and is really noisy, each surface seems different.
When it's time to change tyres, I'll try your Continentals - Alan Ho swears by them, and I'm not up for much arguing  :D

Offline Paulq

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Merseyside
That's exactly how I found them to be - simply too noisy.  I am no longer an i30 owner so I'll check out of this thread but thanks to everyone for the replies, suggestions and ideas.  I hope that you continue to enjoy your cars!

Offline musicrab

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Farnham, Surrey
The original Hankook K415's.
Road surfaces are awful here [UK]
Just done a 1000mile trip with the Hankook K425's.  Very noisy but on my trip most of the M1 has new "quiet" tarmac and makes a big differennce.  Slightly worried that I can feel a bit of road through the clutch (when in use) but I think I'm just a bit paranoid:-)  Car is fine other than that.  Oh, but the Aircon is on the weak side (it was 30decC in the UK today.)
  • 1.4 Petrol Active

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Oh, but the Aircon is on the weak side (it was 30decC in the UK today.)

But the refrigerant used in i30  might help the ozone layer  :undecided:

Offline pug20g

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I just took delivery of my i30 diesel and from the factory it has Nexen Roadian 581 (also an eco tyre). The vehicle I test drove just two weeks prior had Hankook Kinergy. Both cars were the same grade & spec (apart from colour) on the lot of the same dealer. I can't tell the difference between these two eco tyres on the i30 but they seem to be just a tad quieter than a 2014 Mazda3 on very similar sized tyres.

Hopefully I still have some time off before I have to consider replacements!
  • 2014 Hyundai i30 GD Trophy CRDi

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I just replaced my original Nexens at 77500 kms.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My front Kumhos were replaced at ~55K due to inner shoulder wear / alignment. The rear ones are still on at 65K. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline stephen graham

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Canterbury, Kent
Any news on the dunlops? Thinking of same ones for same reason!
  • 2013 i30 Active Tourer, petrol, manual

Offline mrcarrotcake

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
UK road surfaces vary so much. the surfaces with lots of stone chips are very noisy, especially when they have become worn. Some surfaces can be almost silent. I wish they'd stop laying noisy surfaces. It's even worse if you drive a van as the noise reverberates in the back.
  • Kia Cee's 1.6 CRDi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It seems to me the coarse surface would give much  better grip in wet or icy conditions.
So a bit of road noise seems like a fair trade off for extra safety.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mrcarrotcake

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
It seems to me the coarse surface would give much  better grip in wet or icy conditions.

I prefer peace and quiet.
  • Kia Cee's 1.6 CRDi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

The people in cars coming towards you on a wet and windy road might beg to differ.
IMHO, as drivers we have a responsibility to ensure our vehicle is in the best possible condition to provide a safe environment for all road users.

Offline mrcarrotcake

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh

The people in cars coming towards you on a wet and windy road might beg to differ.
IMHO, as drivers we have a responsibility to ensure our vehicle is in the best possible condition to provide a safe environment for all road users.

What has our vehicle's condition got to do with the road surface?

Also do you have any evidence that the road surfaces which are basically stones protruding from tar are better for grip than a smoother to the eye road surface?
  • Kia Cee's 1.6 CRDi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^
It was in response to your comment about preferring quiet, which suggested you were prepared to sacrifice safety ffor quietnes.
As for road surfaces, road authorities the world over spend millions researching such stuff. As do tyre manufacturers and road safety authorities.
Their findings are pretty much public records and support what I'm suggesting.
As does common sense.

Offline mrcarrotcake

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Edinburgh
^
It was in response to your comment about preferring quiet, which suggested you were prepared to sacrifice safety ffor quietnes.
As for road surfaces, road authorities the world over spend millions researching such stuff. As do tyre manufacturers and road safety authorities.
Their findings are pretty much public records and support what I'm suggesting.
As does common sense.

Can you show me this research? Why are roads in other countries quieter? With a less coarse road surface you are actually going to get more contact between the road and the tyre. Your point doesnt explain why some roads in UK are nice and quiet and others are not.
  • Kia Cee's 1.6 CRDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
With a less coarse road surface you are actually going to get more contact between the road and the tyre.
Road surfaces depend on many factors, high or low traffic usage - pitch and angle - speed - rain - snow - ice -heat, all these can decide the types of surface to be used in any different area.

Smooth surface roads maybe quiet but in areas where run off isn't efficient enough aquaplaning can occur, very coarse surfaces can be better for roads that ice up to an extent so many factors need to be taken into account.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think course surfaces giving more grip is just plain logic. Like non slip tiles versus tiles with a gloss finish or rubber soled shoes with a corrugated sole versus leather soled shoes with a smooth sole. I would prefer all road surfaces to have a medium surface which gives some grip but is not too noisy. Many of our roads in Tasmania are either really smooth and quiet to drive on, or (mostly) very coarse and generate lots of road noise even in my relatively up market Calais..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal