i30 Owners Club

Unbelievable fuel economy

Guest · 9 · 3032

Instroe
Having read a few posts from the Hypermilers in the club I thought I’d add a story of my own.
I took my family from Melbourne to Echuca last weekend in our I30 CRDi 1.6 with 2,352,277 kms on the clock. I was towing an old army surplus Chieftain tank. The 250 km journey was completed with the air conditioning on and driving in 3rd gear only. Conditions on the day were windy, in fact we were travelling into a 110 km/hr headwind.
I was struggling to maintain 140 km/hr in these conditions so pulled over at Rochester  to see what was wrong  - only to find that he tyres were deflated to 60 kPa and I’d accidently left the handbrake on all the way.
Having set off with half a tank of Diesel I took the opportunity to syphon fuel out of the now full tank.
When I got to my destination I did the maths which showed that my i30 generates 2.8 litres of Diesel every 100 kms
Does anyone else have a similar story? I'm sure someone can better this

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You had me going for the first few lines, all these unmentionables were cropping up in my head as I was reading it,,,,,, till I realised.   :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Eiki

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Denmark

• 1.6 CRDI And loving it

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
You have proved the point that it takes quite a high mileage to free up the i30 engine for maximum economy.

It will be interesting to read how you do on the way back if you blow your tyres up and release the handbrake.  Leaving the family behind to reduce weight should also make a difference.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Imagine if he had the 6 speed transmission....Might make 3l.....

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
HAHAHAHA :D Wtf?

You wont hear that kind of story from me, as my fuel consumption (diesel) is around 6-6,6 lit/100 km. But I don't mind reading, how people are pleased with the fuel efficiency of their vehicles, though  ;)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :whsaid:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
 :rofl:.
it must have been two of your brothers i almost ran into in the m5 airport tunnel yesturday morning.
They were driving an old there to four tonne unladen flatbed truck, when one of the front tyres lost air ( anyone thats driven a truck & had the front tyre loose air would know what that feels like ) they coninued on at the same speed or tried too, lot of smoke, then they started to weave a bit, it got that bad behind them was almost impossible to see far infront not to mention the smell. they kept going then the tyre started to smolder, then it started to burn and they were still runing on the rim of the wheel, then first climb & bend in tunnel stopped them. makes me wonder as they went past two break down exits. that was at peak hour morning lucky not when speeds are higher or could have been a disaster

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like a close shave John  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal