i30 Owners Club

My Diesel i30 economy is rubbish

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I fuelled up today at 1008 kms but put 60 litres in it.
Happy with that  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Steve Roe
20 months ago when my car had around 3,000 kms on the clock I travelled from Eastern Melbourne to Millicent in SA for work, did a bit of driving around there off road afterwards and got back to Melbourne before filling up. 1098 kms in total, the fuel light came on about 10 kms before I filled up. Around 52 litres to refill. I was doing between 100 and 110 kms/hr as the road signs permitted, air conditioning was on for around 1.5 hrs.  I thought it was a miracle and even considered going to church on Sunday to give praise. However I didn't , but guess what - it just keeps happening anyway. I fill that little sucker up to the brim and my missus does over 700kms in rush hour city driving before it needs filling up again. My only complaint is the cobwebs on the filler cap.

Rock solid. Last year we went on a 3000 km + trip in it covering Adelaide, Wallaroo, Port Augusta, Port Lincoln, Streaky Bay. Two adults, two teenagers, a 6 x 4 trailer, Kayak and all gear (fishing kit, wetsuits, clothes, food, etc) Air conditioning on full blast. At one point the outside temperature registered 47C, I thought rubbish. We stopped and got out for around 2 seconds before conceding that it was 47C. The car engine temp was rock steady, no issues. Fuel economy suffered with the trailer but I'm not complaining.

It never ceases to amaze me how nippy our car is. Get it up on boost at 2700 rpm and the sucker flies.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My only complaint is the cobwebs on the filler cap.

That is a great line... :rofl:

It never ceases to amaze me how nippy our car is. Get it up on boost at 2700 rpm and the sucker flies.

They sure are an amazing motor for a 1.6 litre   :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Are you saying we need to rev past 2700 rpm to get real performance. I need to give that a try. Have been trying too hard for economy and keeping it below 2000 rpm.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
My fuel conomy is quite good for now I must say..

I have approx 2,500 km on the clock and it is 5,9 lit/100 km according to BC. Mostly shifting between 1,900-2,500 rpm. But what I find interesting is the fact, that I don't recall noticing the DPF regenerating so far?

neoto: You do a lot of km :D I checked your "logs" on poraba.com a bit better this time..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Are you saying we need to rev past 2700 rpm to get real performance. I need to give that a try. Have been trying too hard for economy and keeping it below 2000 rpm.

once a week it is good to give them a quick rev say to 3,500 3,800 quick don't keep them reving too long or too high just a rev out quick through the gears is good, as this gives the primary variable vien in the turbo a good work out to stop them carboning up & becoming stiff, as if that happens you notice a torque loss.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
My fuel conomy is quite good for now I must say..

I have approx 2,500 km on the clock and it is 5,9 lit/100 km according to BC. Mostly shifting between 1,900-2,500 rpm. But what I find interesting is the fact, that I don't recall noticing the DPF regenerating so far?

neoto: You do a lot of km :D I checked your "logs" on poraba.com a bit better this time..

Yup, I'm now at over 24.000 km (from April 15th's 1500), doing daily commutes on relations Ločica-Ljubljana or Tržič-Ljubljana. Anyway, the DPF is apparently regenerating at ~700km in all Czech made i30 with CRDi engine (local dealer tested multiple cars to confirm it). It looks like the manual is wrong :)

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Hey    Allan and all you others there in the "motherland"  ( UK) ... :happydance:   want good economy...see this 2009 unit on eBay....claiming 67 MPG !!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/hyundai-i30-67MPG-DIESEL-ESTATE-2009-/150677987226?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item23151b9f9a

We in Oz, have a saying...." tell'um their dreaming"..... :Shocked:
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Instroe
On a daily basis my wife flogs our 1.6 diesel to work and back in rush hour traffic. Max speed limit on the road is 80 km/hr. 10 kms to work and 10 kms back, stop/start driving through plenty of lights.
With a complete disregard for fuel economy she get's 700km+ to a topped off tank of diesel every time - with an 1/8 of a tank left showing on the gauge.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
instroe

I'm glad she doesn't get her hands on my cars. 10ks to work, it wouldn't even be properly warmed up in either direction. Sounds like she's angling for a new car.  :disapp:

btw how do you "flog" a car at 80 kph
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Instroe
She's just quick away from any standstill, foot to the floor to get up to 80. Everyone's the same when it's time to go home - especially Friday.
If this model from VW ever get's into production it'll be a winner. 0.9l/100km
http://www.volkswagen.com/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en2/unternehmen/mobility_and_sustainability0/technik___innovation/Forschung/1_Liter_Auto.html

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
About the VW I agree, as expensive as F1 is, you can see why we need it. Energy regeneration, drag reduction etc. Now if I could just get my VP Commodore down to 0.9l/100.....Hmmmm    :happydance:

Instroe
That's easy. Push it to work and back, it'll help keep you fit too.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
PUSH A VP  :rofl:

mick55
At 20,000 km regularly getting 5.9 -6.0l/100km in my i30cw auto, without conciously driving for economy although I've never been a rip and tear merchant :P

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Last I got with my 1.6 CRDi 6-Spd was 472.2Km's topping up to 43.477L. Roughly 10.86Km/L. Anyone know what could be causing this? I drive about 15Km's to and from work (at about 30-90Km/h) with 70% highway. Running aircon @24*C Auto always. Taking care to carefully warm up the car (for turbo) and cool down the car (for turbo).

I'm up to about 2055Km's right now and have NEVER ever beat up on it. Highest it's seen is about 3kRPM. But during my daily commute, I just drive like everyone else and go along with traffic.

Tires are all inflated to 32PSI as stated on the door sticker. Car tracks straight so I believe it is within alignment.

Any thoughts as to why I'm getting such a rubbish fuel economy?
  • 2011 FDe i30 1.6 CRDi 6M/T

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Last I got with my 1.6 CRDi 6-Spd was 472.2Km's topping up to 43.477L. Roughly 10.86Km/L. Anyone know what could be causing this? I drive about 15Km's to and from work (at about 30-90Km/h) with 70% highway. Running aircon @24*C Auto always. Taking care to carefully warm up the car (for turbo) and cool down the car (for turbo).

I'm up to about 2055Km's right now and have NEVER ever beat up on it. Highest it's seen is about 3kRPM. But during my daily commute, I just drive like everyone else and go along with traffic.

Tires are all inflated to 32PSI as stated on the door sticker. Car tracks straight so I believe it is within alignment.

Any thoughts as to why I'm getting such a rubbish fuel economy?

I could not say why, but in some cases, k is not the true measurement hours motor is runing for would be more accurate. what are the weather temps? how long in time does it take you to cover the 15k's to work?
also is it hilly or flat where you drive? & is road surface smooth?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Your fuel consumption calculates for those of us in Oz, to 9.21L/100k which is how we measure over here.

The worst I've ever seen was 8.9L/100 from our auto & that was because we were only doing very short trips & the car couldn't warm up. Here are some things that I would do / consider.

1. Your engine is still new with only 2055 K's. I'm told things get better as it loosens up.

2. Weather is a factor & with a heavy diesel engine  block to heat up, some fuel is used achieving this.

3. I set my A/C to come on manually. If it's hot or de-humidifying is required I use it, otherwise not.

4. I do not waste time or fuel warming the engine before driving.  There is very little difference in stress on the engine, provided your not climbing hills or required to drive at high speeds. Treating the throttle like an eggshell allows you to drive this way. By asking the engine to do a little work, actually helps the engine warm up rather than idling, doing nothing. Diesels use very little fuel at idle, but long idles should be avoided. There is some discussion as to the requirement to idle down the engine at the end of your drive. Personally I don't do it UNLESS, as the book states, I have stopped after prolonged high speed, say for refueling. I live near a freeway and 110 is common for our car, but coming home I have a 1.5k downhill slope (no throttle), then traffic lights & 60 k speed limits to home. To me that cools the engine adequately.

5. Fill the tank to the brim & take the car for a nice gentle drive away from cities to see what country economy is like.

Hope this helps.  :neutral:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
a possibility is your useing the computer as a guid, i also double check when i fill up.
while i was looking for a new car b4 i got my first i30 CRDi. i test drove a new For Focus Turbo Diesel 2litre 6 speed manual, it's computer was reading average L / 100K of 27L / 100K average. i asked salesman at the time but he could not tell me why. but with cp's short term could show high then long term could improve.  i'll tell you what made my 5 speed CRDi use a lot of fuel! towing a 8 x 5 box trailer with two harleys on the back at speeds up to 110kph ( done it with ease but used some extra fuel!!! )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Your fuel consumption calculates for those of us in Oz, to 9.21L/100k which is how we measure over here.

The worst I've ever seen was 8.9L/100 from our auto & that was because we were only doing very short trips & the car couldn't warm up. Here are some things that I would do / consider.

1. Your engine is still new with only 2055 K's. I'm told things get better as it loosens up.

2. Weather is a factor & with a heavy diesel engine  block to heat up, some fuel is used achieving this.

3. I set my A/C to come on manually. If it's hot or de-humidifying is required I use it, otherwise not.

4. I do not waste time or fuel warming the engine before driving.  There is very little difference in stress on the engine, provided your not climbing hills or required to drive at high speeds. Treating the throttle like an eggshell allows you to drive this way. By asking the engine to do a little work, actually helps the engine warm up rather than idling, doing nothing. Diesels use very little fuel at idle, but long idles should be avoided. There is some discussion as to the requirement to idle down the engine at the end of your drive. Personally I don't do it UNLESS, as the book states, I have stopped after prolonged high speed, say for refueling. I live near a freeway and 110 is common for our car, but coming home I have a 1.5k downhill slope (no throttle), then traffic lights & 60 k speed limits to home. To me that cools the engine adequately.

5. Fill the tank to the brim & take the car for a nice gentle drive away from cities to see what country economy is like.

Hope this helps.  :neutral:

Excellent post thanks Phil  :goodjob:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
 Re your tyre pressure....I know the sticker says 32..but you will find that 36-38psi will aid economy and if your running on  good roads, your will not be disadvantaged comfort wise...

Be patient, they do take a while to run in and loosen up.... :D

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Well from my home to the highway takes about 5 minutes drive (about 1Km of 20kph driving inside a residential community). Then on-ramp to the highway and takes anywhere from 7 to 15 minutes to complete the whole highway until my exit depending on traffic. from exit, it's about 500 meters to the office.

The highway has an equal uphill and downhill slope for the whole duration of the drive and is asphalted with a good bit of road noise (not sure if that's attributed the road not being smooth).

I can say that with the fuel light on, I only get about 45L inside the tank before the pump clicks off. After the 1st click, I stop (we're not allowed to pump gas. Fuel station clerks pump for us).

I shift just before 2000RPM though and I regularly cruise in 6th at around 1600RPM, sometimes going as low as 1400RPM and the engine doesn't feel like it's labouring.

I live in the Philippines right in Manila and temperatures here nowadays are around 24-33*C.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well from my home to the highway takes about 5 minutes drive (about 1Km of 20kph driving inside a residential community). Then on-ramp to the highway and takes anywhere from 7 to 15 minutes to complete the whole highway until my exit depending on traffic. from exit, it's about 500 meters to the office.

The highway has an equal uphill and downhill slope for the whole duration of the drive and is asphalted with a good bit of road noise (not sure if that's attributed the road not being smooth).

I can say that with the fuel light on, I only get about 45L inside the tank before the pump clicks off. After the 1st click, I stop (we're not allowed to pump gas. Fuel station clerks pump for us).

I shift just before 2000RPM though and I regularly cruise in 6th at around 1600RPM, sometimes going as low as 1400RPM and the engine doesn't feel like it's labouring.

I live in the Philippines right in Manila and temperatures here nowadays are around 24-33*C.

In those conditions your economy should be half what it is (In my opinion) ... Could it be a fuel quality issue?  :cool:

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
My thoughts too. I'd been filling up at very busy Shell fuel stations using the Shell Fuel Save Diesel. Would anyone recommend Caltex Diesel?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Caltex diesel gets mixed reviews on here the premium Diesel (Vortex?) seems to get a good wrap but sometimes the standard Caltex Diesel (from the Supermarket owned Stations) gets a lesser rating..

Problem is we are usually talking about these fuels in Australia, UK or Europe.. Not sure how your brands amd /or outlets compare with these places  :cool:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
jfdelacruz

In the Philippines you probably do need to use your air cond on AUTO.

A lot of our members are getting up to 63-63 litres by deliberately running their tanks NEARLY dry and the filling to the brim with fuel. This is the ONLY way to be certain how much fuel you used. Unfortunate, that you can't fill your own car. Stopping at the first click is way short of full. Diesel filling takes a fair amount of time because the fuel foams, so I guess even asking the attendant to fill slowly to avoid the 1st click is out of the question.  :disapp:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal