i30 Owners Club

10L/100km i30 GD active. Normal?

rickai · 9 · 3910

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
As topic, i'm getting around 10L/100km on my 3rd tank of fuel. Done about 1170km so far, the first tank was about 7.8L/100km (factory diesel mixed with shell) then the 2nd is around 10L/100km (caltex vortex), now is about 11.3L/100km (bp). My average speed is 21km/hr. I suppose since I drive at a low speed (hardly hit 80km), that should be normal for an auto diesel. I don't step hard and all under 3000rpm. I don't think its the dpf cos I don't really smell anything, but I could be wrong... So.. normal or not guys?

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Being Aus I don't think it is DPF. Avg speed is low which would contribute to high usage I think, my lowest full tank average has been 42kmh which returned 6.5L/100km. Your usage is higher then I have ever experienced, even my first 10km today after filling was about 7.2 which was all low speed but not stop start. Try to get a decent run at 80-100kmh and reset just before hand, should return just under 6L based on my experiences.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Fill her up, reset your trip computer and go for a nice, long drive in the country at light throttle openings.
That'll bring your average down and give the computer a new base to work from.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There are NO DPF's on Oz I30's. 21kmh average is very low. To get an average of that you must spend heaps of time idling at 0, or driving around at 21 kmh in 2nd gear & I don't think you would do that. Your engine is obviously new and tight. You need to do a decent long drive that warms up the engine and get 80-100 kmh, this will also be good for the engine too. Go and enjoy driving your car away from the city.  :)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Today has been in some traffic so i thought i would post some more stats for you. 30kmh avg, 45km trip, 7.6L/100km. Dropped to 6.9L/100km after a good run home now 35kmh avg over 75kms.

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Thanks for the feedback guys! Yea, I will post again once I go somewhere outta city. I'm planning to go somewhere far this month. It's good to know there's no DPF, cos the dealer told me it has one, but i don't think the sales really know what he's talking about. Anyways, the numbers has gone down to 8.8L now after a few long distance drive.  :happydance:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well i could not even guess why your useing 10.1L/100k but are you just going off your trip computer?
i think you should fill the tank to the very top ( takes time ) then drive till light comes on & fill to the top again. and double check also don't turn off trip computer just leave it so you can compare average. like k's traveled L's to fill up. see if trip PC same as your calculations. also stick to the same servo & brand of diesel . @ one time i thought Caltex Vortex Diesel was the best. but with my U2 motor runs good on both BP & Caltex but i'm useing BP with a diesel aditive ( just to stop algae growth in the tank ).
Also i notice my Diesels like warm weather 24c is best temp.
and as your speed is very low average, i would think you could also use time to calculate fuel useage, like L per Hour. what distance are you traveling from when you start the motor & when you turn it off? & how long does it take you to go that distance? is the trip on mostly flat roads or is it hilly?
does the new Trip PC have fuel useage as it happens? if it does you watch & everytime you brake you will see the fuel useage go up. so if you are constanly braking & changing your speed in the traffic it is hard on fuel economy.
enjoy your new car they are very nice.

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Well i could not even guess why your useing 10.1L/100k but are you just going off your trip computer?
i think you should fill the tank to the very top ( takes time ) then drive till light comes on & fill to the top again. and double check also don't turn off trip computer just leave it so you can compare average. like k's traveled L's to fill up. see if trip PC same as your calculations. also stick to the same servo & brand of diesel . @ one time i thought Caltex Vortex Diesel was the best. but with my U2 motor runs good on both BP & Caltex but i'm useing BP with a diesel aditive ( just to stop algae growth in the tank ).
Also i notice my Diesels like warm weather 24c is best temp.
and as your speed is very low average, i would think you could also use time to calculate fuel useage, like L per Hour. what distance are you traveling from when you start the motor & when you turn it off? & how long does it take you to go that distance? is the trip on mostly flat roads or is it hilly?
does the new Trip PC have fuel useage as it happens? if it does you watch & everytime you brake you will see the fuel useage go up. so if you are constanly braking & changing your speed in the traffic it is hard on fuel economy.
enjoy your new car they are very nice.

Yea, I think its cos of the non-stop start and stop at the lights. I just got 5.3L/100km from going from wollongong, by pass sea cliff bridge and the royal national park with those crazy curves, lots of uphills and downhills, without stopping at all. It's a lot better than I expected. Been using BP, the car seem to like it better than caltex.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal