i30 Owners Club

Metro Narwee Self Serve (for NSW, AU members)

EAT · 9 · 3702

Offline EAT

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Roselands, NSW
Hey all,

Been checking NRMA petrol watch and Metro Narwee Self Serve (NSW, AU) has been consistently ~10 cents cheaper than other petrol stations. (Confirmed in person)

I've read that the difference between premium diesel and standard diesel really only comes down to the anti-foaming agent added to the fuel. Also considering there is a limit to cetane rating I'm going to assume that the petrol Diesel they are supplied are to Australian standards.

That said.... Are there any reasons why I shouldn't be buying diesel from this petrol station?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:13:21 by Phil №❶ »
  • i30 Elite 1.6 CDRi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
A good guide to Diesel purchasing is the volume of traffic at the servo. I am not familiar with your location, but any servo supplying trucks is usually a good bet, as the Diesel will be fresh with high turnover and not likely to be contaminated.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
A good guide to Diesel purchasing is the volume of traffic at the servo. I am not familiar with your location, but any servo supplying trucks is usually a good bet, as the Diesel will be fresh with high turnover and not likely to be contaminated.
This is true Phil,but be aware most truck stops,the truck diesel pumps are fed from  seperate tank/tanks than the car diesel side,I use three different truck stops and all have told me the same story,the truck diesel tanks are seperate to the tank feeding the car diesel pumps
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Was unaware of that, Thanks Rick-p.  :goodjob2:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Was unaware of that, Thanks Rick-p.  :goodjob2:

Yes so was I,until I was speaking to Tony and Maria one day,they told me about it,so then the next time I went into the local truck stop where I normally fuel up in the truck,I asked Funnily enough,Phil he said the same they had two sets of tanks.

Since EATS brought it up about the anti foaming agent,one thing I have noticed,when I got to the third place I use regularly both for the car and Semi,if I use the high flow(I can fill a 267 ltr tank in four minutes)it hardly foams up and I am wondering f this is something to do with the size of the fuel cap opening and also it's going into such a large tank un-impeded
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i don't know the servo you speak of off hand, but your reference as Dodgy looking is enough, i saw a few dodgy looking servos in different parts of sydney but notice not many buy diesel from them as a few cents saved means nothing if you get a $5,000 bill to replace injectors or something else.
also a guy i used to work with that owned his own trucks, filled up at a BP high turn over truck stop, he used the same one a lot, then one day he got water in his diesel from that servo stuffed his motor. they payed for new motor but it caused the Guy a lot of problems as had a contract needed truck going about 24 hours. from then on he would never use that servo.
i have to use Shell or Mobile down here ( south coast ) but in Sydney i stick to BP or Mobile Caltex or shell. no dodgy servo's if you want to save$ drive easy.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Since EATS brought it up about the anti foaming agent,one thing I have noticed,when I got to the third place I use regularly both for the car and Semi,if I use the high flow(I can fill a 267 ltr tank in four minutes)it hardly foams up and I am wondering f this is something to do with the size of the fuel cap opening and also it's going into such a large tank un-impeded

I think you're on the money there Rick-p. Filling straight into the tank allows any foam to spread and dissipate over the whole surface area of the liquid in the tank, whereas the filler pipe for our cars is double S shaped and narrow, by comparison to a fuel tank, so foaming cannot dissipate until the fuel reaches the tank.

Offline EAT

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Roselands, NSW
Oh nice, thanks for the input guys appreciate it.

Nice to see that this forum is active =D
  • i30 Elite 1.6 CDRi

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal