i30 Owners Club

Country Economy

EpOcH · 2 · 1585

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Planning on doing a small trip early to mid April, Adelaide to Brisbane and back which is approximately 2050km's (~1274 miles) there and then the same back with the possibility of adventures off the main road to visit things along the way, although that part hasnt been explored yet in detail. Personally I just want to get there but the minister for war and finance (the wife) may have other idea's using the kids as amunition  :lol:

I'm interested as to how you all achieve your max economy on the open roads, i.e 90km/h (~56mp/h) or 110km/h (~68mp/h) ofcourse dependant on the posted limit. I want to make a decent effort of this but I dont know that i'd cope doing 90km/h in 110km/h zones for 12hours + even with cruise control !.

I know there has been discussion/testing of intercooler covers but its not something I will be messing with for the journey as i dont have anything to read from the obd port for air temps to monitor any form of overtemp from fitting it even though travelling time will probably be 6am to 6pm each day (give or take).

The car will have 2 Adults and 2 children in it with luggage for a week away, normally I would be in a larger car for this long a journey but want to loosen up the oil burner more as its only travelled ~1350km's so far so its still tight.

ouri30
Hi,

I've written about a similar trip before.  Did Murray Bridge to Roowoomba and return twice in 2008 with two adults and two children (12 and 15) and loaded to the hilt with luggage.

The first trip saw us return 4.9 lph which included driving around a when in Qld over the course of a week.  We sat on 90-100kph for most of the trip and only exceeded the speed limit to pass trucks.

The second trip was a carbon copy and we got 5.0 lph.  I would say we pushed it a bit more on the way home.

The sad part was that both trips were to attend the funerals of my wife's parents, about 3 months apart.

In each case, we filled up in Murray Bridge before leaving and in Dubbo we filled up again.  Then on the return we filled up before leaving Toowoomba.  The first time, due to convenience, we filled up in Dubbo but the second time we filled up in West Wyalong.

Best of luck with the trip.  By the way, we did it without cruise control as ours is a Jan 2008 model SLX CRDi.

Bob

PS  My wife, bless her heart, is the one with the heavy foot.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal