i30 Owners Club

Am I asking too much???

Offline timmmmm

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Central Coast NSW
Hi there,

My SLX diesel manual now has 15000km on the clock. I travel around 220km's 3 days per week. Around 160km freeway and the rest pacific Highway between F3 freeway and UNSW at randwick. I am at work by 6:45am and gone around 4:00pm usually so I miss the majority of the peak hour traffic.
My point is that the best fuel economy that I have achieved is around 5.2L/100. I average high 5's low 6's and after reading what other users have achieved it seems a little high - considering the majority of freeway travelling.

I do have roof racks so have tried taking them off for a tankful - seems to make only .1 or .2 L/100 difference. I also tried running around 40psi in the tyres - that makes a little difference but I don't know about the longterm effects on the tyrewear......

Am I expecting too much???

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
That sounds about right - I average 5.6 but I have hills, overtaking and some city driving.  I think to achieve less than 5 comes down to driving style.  I find it very hard to change my usual driving style - so I just gave up and drive normally.  It would be interesting to drive with Hans Thulstrup to see ho he does it.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Timmmm, i found driving at 90KPH with CC set gave me 4.4L/100k that was over blue mountains and out to Dubbo then down golden HWy to Muswellbrook then down the putty road to windsor then to Sydney CBD just over 1,200 on the same tank for 4.4L/100k average shifting gear b4 2,000 rev useing 5th gear most of the time, if i drive at 100, 110 120 best i get is 4.9L/100k, if i excellerate a lot and drive at 110 120 its about 5.5L/100k, but when i had the scangauge and watched that it shows fuel useage as it happens i could get better economy and still drive at 110 120. the sport muffler like Thumper had helped a bit too but i use stock now.
but when i drive the company 4 cyl petrol toyota it gets 12l to 14l/ 100k in sydney

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Timmmm,

I'm guessing the highway has some reasonable up hill sections.

If it was dead flat you would get better than that but as soon as you have to start pressing the accelerator more than just resting your foot the economy goes down (fuel useage goes up). Going down the other side of the hill offsets it a bit...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Timmmm,

I'm guessing the highway has some reasonable up hill sections.

If it was dead flat you would get better than that but as soon as you have to start pressing the accelerator more than just resting your foot the economy goes down (fuel useage goes up). Going down the other side of the hill offsets it a bit...

Dazz the climb both ways up the Moony on the F3 is a big climb and steep, also they don't drive slow or on the speed limit on the F3, does not matter who it is they all drive fast only slow down for the speed camera or police. but at peak hour it becomes a car park at different points. i would not like driving for maxium economy on the F3, but 5L/100k should be within reach.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal