i30 Owners Club

Mystery Thump when cruising

Lune · 7 · 2463

Offline Lune

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Pinjarra, Western Australia
Now at a nice healthy 84,xxxkm, a new fault appears :(
Cruising along at 110km/h down the highway when suddenly it feels when I failed horribly learning to drive a manual and shifted up too early.
A loud thump, a sudden rev drop ( from ~2400 down to about 1900), complete with mini whiplash, and then as quickly as it happened, everything is happy again.
This is the second time its happened now, but I had written off the first as just a big pothole or some such (didnt notice the rev drop).
Now my suspicion is the Auto box, with the previous fault covered by warranty requiring the valve body replacement, but I'm not sure.
Ultragauge showed no loss of boost at the time, no fault codes, and instant fuel consumption that it was reporting didnt change, but then what the ECU reports might not be accurate if somethings really broken :P
Has anyone else had this happen ?

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
sounds like a valve body body problem, ie. trying to lock-up two clutch packs in the tranny at the same time, giving you that jerk and causing a spike in tranny oil pressure wich in turn would shunt all the spools in the valve body back to where they are supposed to be.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not good Lune.. hope you can get to the bottom of it and get it sorted  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lune

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Well  if its the valve body again, at least it wont take them long to confirm it. I'm just glad my local dealer is so good about warranty claims (also had the high brake switch esp off sorted no questions, quick and easy when it was being serviced last :P)

Offline Lune

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Heard back from the service centre and it turns out the brake light switch they replaced last service had already died, shorting out and making the auto try to kick down. Waiting for parts from Sydney woo

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
Good result :goodjob2: wonder if the sudden unexpected locking of the wrong clutch pack has damaged third gear pack? Or the lock up clutch in the torque-converter?  Just something's to ask your service department, might be lucky and get a free tranny service out of them so they can inspect the tranny filter/oil for clutch debris?

Offline Lune

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
STILL waiting on the part and now getting fumes in the cabin, fml :P
I've received books from overseas faster than this :S

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal