i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 CRDI Premium any big problems?

jem · 38 · 33299

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello Everyone :)

Im now thing about moving away from my MG ZS 115 (Diesel) and jumping to the Hyundai i30 2.0 CRDI Premium,I think that model looks quite sporty on the outside and i have just fallen in love with the inside and its toys,Being as i have a diesel now i cant ever go back to petrol,I think i would notice a big drop in power if i went for the 1.6 diesel so i think it would be fair to say the 2.0 would keep me happy. Is there any major problems with the diesel versions im after the 2007 model not the new i30.

Thanks Everyone 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi jem and welcome.

I had the 2007 1.6 crdi and had no issues with it.

Can't recall anyone on here having issues but from memory I think it was removed from the UK market mid 2008.
It will be coming to the end of its 5 year warranty so I presume it has full service history.

The Hy dealer may be able to check the master service records and see whether it has been subject to any major repairs.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi

Thanks for your advice,The car i looked at had full service history so i might be able to find out if it had any major repairs.

You say you had the 1.6 did that have plenty of power? 

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Before you jump - have a test drive in the 1.6 CRDi - you just may be surprised at its performance and fuel economy.  I moved from an Audi A3 2.0 TDi to a Hyundai 1.6 CRDi premium without ever missing anything about the Audi.

Get the latest model you can afford to get some benefit from the 5 year warranty - even though it is most unlikely you will need to make a claim.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks,I have allways said i could never go back to a smaller engine but now reading what you have said it makes me wonder,Better find a 1.6 just to see what the difference is,Yes im going to find the latest model i can afford,Ive not found out yet wht the trade in price is for mine but i cant see it being to much.

Cheers :)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks,I have allways said i could never go back to a smaller engine but now reading what you have said it makes me wonder,Better find a 1.6 just to see what the difference is,Yes im going to find the latest model i can afford,Ive not found out yet wht the trade in price is for mine but i cant see it being to much.

Cheers :)

Where abouts are you in the UK?

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Im from Devon :)

That's a bit too far for me to give you a demo with my car............... :rofl:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

For me, yes.  Normally I was on my own and doing short trip to/from work (12 miles return).

Depends on what you will be doing with the car - towing trailer/caravan etc - may influence choice.

Go for a test drive and try 2.0l and 1.6l then you can make your choice based on your own feel of the car.

I've noticed that my local dealer has been discounting the old models now the new shape is on sale so you may pick up a bargain on a later plate.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

For me, yes.  Normally I was on my own and doing short trip to/from work (12 miles return).

Depends on what you will be doing with the car - towing trailer/caravan etc - may influence choice.

Go for a test drive and try 2.0l and 1.6l then you can make your choice based on your own feel of the car.

I've noticed that my local dealer has been discounting the old models now the new shape is on sale so you may pick up a bargain on a later plate.

Yep test driving one against the other will be the best option,Shant be towing anything,Thats good if some dealers are discounting the older models,Shall be on the look out for that.

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Im from Devon :)

That's a bit too far for me to give you a demo with my car............... :rofl:

Yep just a bit to far,Nice offer though..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Welcome to our little forum, Jem...  :drinks:

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the performance of the 1.6l diesel....It might not be very quick off the mark but out on the highway she comes into it's own...  :goodjob:

Does a great job towing a trailer too....  :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My test drive in Feb 2008 was of a 57 plate 2.0L CRDi and I must say it impressed the hell out of me, even more so considering I'd asked for a test drive in a 1.4 petrol Comfort model :rolleyes:

However, I was sold on the diesel after that point.

Only to be told I could not order an 08 plate in that model; I didn't find out until later that it had been phased out overnight.

I would be hesitant to consider the 2.0L CRDi, even at a knock down price. Think of the parts availability; the soon-to-be-expiring warranty; the kevlar timing belt (don't think it has a chain like the 1.6 CRDi).

As said previously, look at the most recent you can afford. Then go the extra mile :)

Welcome to the club mate :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks for all your advice,Im after a bit more power because of the hills we have here only one way to find out if the 1.6 can handle it...

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I live in a hilly area and the i30 eats them for breakfast.....  :D

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
 :) :goodjob:

One thing i forgot to ask is DPF on my ZS i dont have one,I hear that newer cars have to have them and they can cause problems?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:) :goodjob:

One thing i forgot to ask is DPF on my ZS i dont have one,I hear that newer cars have to have them and they can cause problems?

Welcome jem, The DPF has been very trouble free in the i30's that have them.

Shambles beat me to it, but I can only reiterate what he said about the chain versus the belt .. Chain is pretty much  a life time proposition where as the belt requires replacement every few years (depending on mileage)

As Rusty has said the 1.6 CRDi is awesome up hills (we had one for 2 and a half years)

I would try and get something with at least a couple of years warranty left (not that they have any major problems)

Do some searching and browsing through the site to find out about some of the minor issues...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi

Now ive been doing a bit of reading on here im thinking would petrol be better for me Yes in the world of MPG but i just love the feel of a diesel when you put the foot down you have the nice push,I think i would miss it to much.Its just the DPF thats putting me off as i dont do alot of motorway runs.

Everyone is so helpfull here thanks//// :goodjob2: :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We still don't get the DPF in Australia (in the i30 anyway) so you could emigate  :lol:

Don't let it put you off.. From what you say, you definitely "need" the diesel (even the 1.6 is "brill" as eye30 would say)

I have lost track of when the DPF was added in the UK but  you may be able to get a pre DPF model (but they are not that troublesome anyway)

Yes, we are friendly (best club of any sort on the Web in my humble opinion)  :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome jem
I've got an '09 1.6 diesel and love it.
Test drive both and you'll know which you like.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Greetings jem & welcome aboard.

Can you give us the BHP & Torque figures for your current car  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Greetings jem & welcome aboard.

Can you give us the BHP & Torque figures for your current car  :question:

Google is your friend Phil  :D

Performance
0 to 62 mph (secs)   9.5
Engine Power - BHP113
Engine Power - KW   83  @  RPM4200
Engine Torque - LBS.FT192
Engine Torque - NM260 @  RPM2000
Top Speed 120 Mph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
How does that stack up to the i30.  :question:

And the PWR of each vehicle is  :question:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very Similar to the 1.6 CRDi (but a bit quicker off the mark.)

I think the 2.0 CRDi was about 105 KW and 320 NM of Torque...

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Yes the engine power on the ZS is 113bhp and Torque is 192 /ftlbs. And on the i30 2.0 crdi its engine power is 138bhp and torque is 224lbs/ft :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
IMO you should look seriously at the 1.6, we have 2 & are quite satisfied with them. The nasty timing belt on the 2.0 would put me off straight away.  :neutral:

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Ok going to seriously consider the 1.6 as to many of you have said it,So not going to ignore the 1.6 like i would of without coming on here,Chain sounds good strange they didn't do that on the 2.0. Another thing that made me want to go straight to the 2.0 was the fact that i have a child so the car does have 2 adults 1 child alot of the time,And quite alot of the time we take my childs friends out  so that was why i was leaning towards the bigger engine as there will allways be plenty of weight in the car.

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Right going to start looking at more garages at the weekend,So is there any questions i should be asking about the diesel cars?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I believe the 2.0 CRDi was based on an older engine design. Hyundai make good Diesel engines (apparently because of all their experience with heavy machinery) The 1.6 actually performs more strongly than figures would suggest (hopefull you find this in a test drive) It does not seem to be impeded by weight and hills very much at all.

They are pretty much bullet proof mechanically if serviced regularly and properly (They must have been "given" fully synthetic oil for example)

The biggest annoyance is probably the fact that the CRDi has a tendancy to blow headlight globes fairly regularly (most, not all owners have this problem) but they are fairly easy to replace for myself and most other members.

The 2009 and onwards vehicles sold in Europe were made in the Czech factory and quality control is a bit lower than the Korean Factory (IMO)

Probably the first thing to look at is the paint finish (some have had trouble with blemishes in the paint) THe plastic shrouds on the shock absorbers also have a tendancy to come loose but this can be fixed under warranty.. Most issues from the Czech are cosmetic fortunately .. The drive train is still ok. The later cars (2010? onwards in Europe?) Have a slightly revised motor which is designated U2 and is slightly smoother and more flexible at lower revs...

Hope this info helps.. :mrgreen:

Offline jem

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Much appreciated thanks for the info.

Been talking to a mate who was a diesel fan for many many years but he said never will he go back to a diesel with a DPF,In his words i dont want to worry you but are you sure you want a diesel with a DPF,He said i know you dont do 100% town driving but from where you live to work isn't that fair.

This has got me really thinking do i really want to worry about a possibly DPF problem not doing enough long journeys...Now then what about a 1.6 Petrol will i notice a big difference in power? And does having the aircon on make much difference to power?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal