i30 Owners Club

Information Needed to Compare Gear Ratios for Each Model

AlanHo · 77 · 23711

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I checked my tyres and just as I thought, they are round and black.

Oh, and 205/55/16.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I checked my tyres and just as I thought, they are round and black.

Oh, and 205/55/16.  :)

You are lucky mine are a little flat on the bottom :P
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Alan, I am unable to help you on this research BUT, and I have to say before I make a fool of myself here that I fully expect to be shot down in flames, BUT,  since the speedo is less than reliable (mine is bout 3 MPH fast) what makes you think that the rev counter is any better ????

Not that I want to throw a damper on your excellent research, from which we all benefit me included.

Just a thought for you to factor in or disregard as is your wont.

Kind regards
Asa

Asa,

The engine revs would most likely be obtained as a result of electric impulses derived from a sensor. This info is also used by the ECU to do lots of things, (time the fuel injection etc) so unless the pulses are stuffed up by the tacho (which is an analogue display) it should be pretty accurate, more so than the speedo.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Thanks for that, Alan...unfortunately most of it goes straight over my head so not much help here.... :-[

Oh, and I've just realised I didn't include which model was which in the gear ratio pic....

They are 1.6, 2.0 Petrol and 1.6 CRDi.......

Thanks for the clarification - I have amended my calculations to show the 6 speed diesel you gave the ratios for.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Pip
.. This is quite a bit higher than the 85 and 88 km/hr speeds found by you guys using your sat-navs with your 5 speed diesels.
Alan, using your formula and the correct ratios for 5 speed diesel; 0.66 and 3.94, I get 88.96 km/h. This does correlate very closely with that measured by Russ and particularly DB08.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

.. This is quite a bit higher than the 85 and 88 km/hr speeds found by you guys using your sat-navs with your 5 speed diesels.
Alan, using your formula and the correct ratios for 5 speed diesel; 0.66 and 3.94, I get 88.96 km/h. This does correlate very closely with that measured by Russ and particularly DB08.

That's good.... :goodjob: At the time I did the calc I didn't realise from the table that the 5 speed cars were petrol - so I have since amended the post to use the 6 speed diesel data.

You have just filled in a gap for me - the 5 speed diesel ratio for 5th gear. Do you have the ratios for the other gears too ?

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
BUMP

Come on guys - one of you must have a 6 speed manual diesel and a sat-nav........ :TutTut: :needhelp: :honk: :Prayer:

Sorry Alan I missed this post. 
I have a 6 speed diesel on 205/65 x 16 tyres with only  3000  miles wear.  (Winter tyres Nov - Apr)
I have a  new Garmin sat nav and  a GPS SCD with an LED speed read out.
My speedo  only appears to be reading 1 mph fast compared with both the devices (which  read the same speed)

My sat nav has the Eco fuel consumption setting which provides an OSD when the device is turned  off showing fuel consumption and cost  based on entering each fill and cost per litre. As I keep a record of fill and mileage it will be interesting to compare the car computer, the sat nav figure and my manual entry after  long run.  Off to south of France soon so that maybe the idel opportunity.

In the meantime I will get the readings you need and post them soon.

Xamaxy
Your new 6spd is quite faster at 2000rpms then the older 6spd, especially in 4th and 5th gear.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Pip
Well done Russ, I looked for a long time but couldn't find them. :(

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks pip!  :D

I just happened to have a brochure stored on one of my hard drives.......

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks for the contributions - I am away in Cyprus on holiday at present and will consolidate the resuts when I return home in a week's time.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I am away in Cyprus on holiday at present

Hope the weather is better than here.

Rain/sun/showers all day and cool about 5C..
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
just found this post.
my 6 speed speedo is a lot closer to what my Garmin GPS is reading than what my old 5 speed was. but for some strange reason the GPS Trip & the Hyundai trip meter don't agree.still have to remember this Garmin is old & maps outdated i think its over 7 years old, but it works perfect as a speed check as easy to see & still keep eye on road, thats the problem we face here in Sydney. speed camera's safty camera's and random speed camera's that are randomly set up anywhere. i think its revenue & also think its not safe as how can you check speedo and keep eye on the road at same time. you can't win  :rofl:
cheers

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks for the contributions - I am away in Cyprus on holiday at present and will consolidate the resuts when I return home in a week's time.

On holiday in Cypress and still on the forum. Now there's commitment.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

On holiday in Cypress and still on the forum. Now there's commitment.  :goodjob2:

.. or boredom  :undecided:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I always have an hour or so to fill in whilst waiting for my wife to get ready for dinner.

She is currently at the "what shall I wear tonight - would I look OK in this...."stage.

There is at least another 40minutes to go before I log off.................. :mrgreen:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I always have an hour or so to fill in whilst waiting for my wife to get ready for dinner.

She is currently at the "what shall I wear tonight - would I look OK in this...."stage.

There is at least another 40minutes to go before I log off.................. :mrgreen:

I hate those questions because there is never a correct answer - it's a fluid thing where an answer might be right today and wrong tomorrow or vice versa.
"Does my bum look big in this?" is another one.
Apparently, "Yes, your bum looks big in everything" is not correct under any circumstances. :confused:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I would appreciate help from one of our kind members who runs a 2010 or 2011 i30 diesel with a 6 speed manual box and a sat-nav which displays the car speed.

I would like to compare gear ratios with the new car. Why? - because my new car feels higher geared - but it may simply be an illusion because the engine is still tight.

What I would appreciate is someone to run their car at exactly 2000 rpm in each gear and note down the car's exact speed as shown on the sat-nav - not on the car's speedo, which is not usually dead accurate.  I also need your tyre size.

I will then produce a table comparing both models.

My car - 2012 Style 1.6 CRDi 128PS
Tyres 205 55 R16

Speeds at 2000 rpm in km/hr  18  32  56  79  93  111
Sppeds at 2000 rpm in mph    11  20  35  49  58   69

PS
If others with different car specs wish to participate - that would be a bonus. I could then produce a table showing the car speed per 1000 rpm for each model that is submitted. It all adds to our i30 data base.

Alan sorry for being slow just found out you wanted to compare gear ratio's .
well yesturday i had to find a very quite street to do the 1st &2nd gear seed check with gps speedo ( Garmin ) all these speeds are from my GPS not the speedo & all are @ 2000rpm ( if tach is accurate)
1st gear @ 2000rpm via Garmin GPS Speedo=15kph
2nd gear @ 2000 Via Garmin GPS speedo=30kph
3rd gear @ 2000 via Garmin GPS speedo=48kph
4th gear @ 2000 via Garmin GPS speeo=67kph
5th gear @ 2000 via Garmin GPS speedo=80kph
6th gear @ 2000 via Garmin GPS speedo=95kph

hope this helps
Lakes
this is 2011 i30 CRDi 6 speed SLX stock SLX 16" mag wheels & stock tyres 20k up

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
just thought i'd ask what is the diff ratio on your new car Alan?
i drove ford fiesta 1.6 turbo diesel few years back it had taller ratio diff and was a bit of a slug i like the lower ratio diff the i30 use seems to be same as my 5 speeds diff ratio perfect for australia's low maxium speed as can use all 6 gears & no big gaps between the gears like with 5 speed there is a big gap 4th to 5th, you notice this more when you have both the 5 speed & 6 speed to drive

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for doing that John  :goodjob: Alan is holidaying in Cyprus for a week so might not reply straight away....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

John

Thank you very much for the info.

You have confirmed my suspicion that the new 2012 i30 1.6 CRDi is higher geared than the 2011 model. This would account for the fact that my new car, although higher powered at 128PS rather than 115PS, feels less lively than my previous car (which was the same as your's). On paper the new car accelerates quicker than the previous model though.

This is how the gearing compares between your car and mine - speeds in each gear at 2000 engine rpm.

Gear                1        2         3         4          5            6

2011 model    15       30      48        67        80          95 km/h

2012 model    18       32       56       79        93          111 km/h

For gears 3 to 6 inc - the gearing of the new model is 16% higher than the previous one. It looks as though  they have changed the final drive ratio to get better economy at normal driving speeds and tweaked the first and second ratio's to ensure a smooth get away.

I will do a bit more work on the project when back at home.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
On paper the new car accelerates quicker than the previous model though.

Try it on tarmac :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Pip
It would be nice to include the original 5 speed in that list to have all the crdi 1.6 models covered in the one post.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

It would be nice to include the original 5 speed in that list to have all the crdi 1.6 models covered in the one post.

Watch this space - I will produce a table of all the models members submit the data for when I am back home from holiday and can use a proper computer

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i've played with gear ratio's over the years, if you have high Torque motor sometimes they feel better & excellerate better with the taller gears, because they thrust car forward with the Torque and the low gears the motor revs up too quick and you need to shift quicker. hard to explain.
with fuel economy will just have to wait and see as even though motor will be at lower revs doing 111kph, the wind resistance is stronger at that speed so works like carrying a weight. but if the new car is more slippery could be a different story. would be nice to test drive one to compare. just what i find with taller diff ratio you have to change down a gear a lot more. what is the Torque output of this new motor? as i would take more Torque & just have same HP anyday. also those ps your quoting are shetland pony's :rofl: give me HP.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Watch this space - I will produce a table of all the models members submit the data for when I am back home from holiday and can use a proper computer

Sorry for delay.  Gremlins at work....wife broke her leg.

My figures agree with those supplied by Lakes

2011 1.6 diesel 6 speed gearbox on 205/55 x 16 tyres

2000rpm on car tacho....speeds on three GPS devices which agree with each other and  indicate car speedo is  only 1 mph fast

1st ......10 mph
2nd..... 18 mph
3rd..... 30 mph
4th..... 42 mph
5th..... 50 mph
6th..... 60 mph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Sorry for delay.  Gremlins at work....wife broke her leg.

:rofl: Love the way you just dismiss it - wife broke her leg.  :lol:
Anyway, on to the important stuff......  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Alan, I am unable to help you on this research BUT, and I have to say before I make a fool of myself here that I fully expect to be shot down in flames, BUT,  since the speedo is less than reliable (mine is bout 3 MPH fast) what makes you think that the rev counter is any better ????

Not that I want to throw a damper on your excellent research, from which we all benefit me included.

Just a thought for you to factor in or disregard as is your wont.

Kind regards
Asa

Asa,

The engine revs would most likely be obtained as a result of electric impulses derived from a sensor. This info is also used by the ECU to do lots of things, (time the fuel injection etc) so unless the pulses are stuffed up by the tacho (which is an analogue display) it should be pretty accurate, more so than the speedo.  :neutral:
the RPM is measured on an i30 engine with a transducer in the bellhousing,similar to the crank angle sensor.  :winker: the RPM readout on my scan gauge II is very close to the reading on my tacho in the dash,but yes,the speedo isn't very accurate.  :fum:  all new model cars should have digital gauges. IMO.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

As I mentioned earlier - the data kindly provided by lakes and baradeur has shown that the 2012 i30 1.6 CRDi is geared 16% higher than than the previous model.  Hence any minor errors with tacho accuracy are insignificant.

Although the new 128PS engine is more powerful than the previous 115PS engine - the maximum torque has remained the same. Despite this, and the taller gearing, Hyundai claim that the new car accelerates to 100 km/h slightly quicker than the previous model.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal