My new i30 Wagon has arrived

tohis · 91 · 31611

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Hi folks,

:happydance: My long wait is over.  :happydance:

I got my new toy at Tuesday. There's about 390 km at odometer right now and so far I've been very happy with it. This is a big step forward from my previous '05 Nissan Almera, which was bland and not so nice to drive, but very reliable car which never let me stranded. I hope the i30 will do the same.

The only real downside is the road noise. That will be even worse with studded winter tyres, which makes their distinctive groaning and scratching sounds in snow-free highways. Furthermore, studded winter tyres causes significant wear to Finnish asphalt roads making them rough, which is the main reason of noisy driving experience. At minor countryside roads which doesn't stay snow free, it's way more quiet ride than in highways. Still we refuse to abandon studded tyres because of their safety benefits in icy roads. At mid October it will already be time to change winter tyres...

I felt the steering to be little quirky in highways, which seems to be typical to electric power steering. The problem nearly disappeared by changing the steering mode to Sport. It still doesn't tend to go dead straight, but it's now good enough that you can get used to it.

Like I expected, I'm not a fan of ISG. It has already got me few times by shutting off the engine at traffic lights. Instinctively I thought that I forgot to switch to Neutral and I stalled the engine; then by pressing the clutch the engine started again. This is not for me! I feel the only good thing of the ISG is reduced CO2 emission and therefore reduced tax. Fortunately the ISG can be switched off by pressing that button, but you have to do that every time when starting.  :fum:

Otherwise:   :)  :cool:  :happydance:

• 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Congratulations, tohis. :goodjob:

Great photos of your new baby. BTW, will you be sending out invitations to the christening? :wink:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very nice tohis! Thanks for the photos  :cool:

I love ISG (well the similar system I have in my Camry Hybrid anyway) I think it is great when stopped at the lights or in traffic that I am not wasting fuel like most of those around me. Plus I like the quietness.

Apparently it doesn't save huge amounts of fuel on the i30 but I wouldn't be switching it off  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@tohis,

You'll get used to your car after a few weeks. It took a while for me too. I've never had ISG, but I would also be disabling it too. The money saved on juice, will be spent eventually on a battery or starter motor, IMO.

BTW, seen the prices of batteries lately, hideous.  :faint:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The money saved on juice, will be spent eventually on a battery or starter motor, IMO.

I don't think that is the case Phil  :disapp:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Logic would suggest that if a starter motor is being used more often, it's gonna wear out quicker...  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The money saved on juice, will be spent eventually on a battery or starter motor, IMO.

In your case it isn't, you don't keep 'em long enough. :whistler: :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Logic would suggest that if a starter motor is being used more often, it's gonna wear out quicker...  :undecided:

In your case it isn't, you don't keep 'em long enough. :whistler: :lol:

They don't all use the starter motor with ISG (I know mine doesn't)  :P

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
How does it start then.  :question:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

TBH I'm not sure of the exact mechanics without googling it (I might do that later) and hope I'm right  :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Big rubber band, perhaps?  :snigger:
and big rubbers aren't cheap anymore  :rofl:

tohis congratulations on your new car
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

"Some implementations do not use a starter motor, eliminating concerns of starter motor wear. Mazda i-stop used in their Mazda3/Axela line (in Europe and JDM) uses combustion to restart their engine by sensing the position of the piston in the cylinder. They claim quieter and quicker engine restart within 0.35 seconds"

From here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system

Pretty sure mine uses a 2nd electric motor to restart  :cool:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The Mazda method will only apply to a petrol engine.

I had my reservations about ISG but after further experiments am now satisfied that it does indeed save - in my case - roughly 4% on fuel consumption. This works out at a saving for me of almost £70 per year.

In any event, with a 5 year warranty on the car - I am not at all concerned about starter motor failure.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose

:offtopic: I know, but Generators used in desert conditions, (because of battery failures etc.), & prior to shutting down, fill a compressed air tank, this tank pressure is then used to restart.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:offtopic: I know, but Generators used in desert conditions, (because of battery failures etc.), & prior to shutting down, fill a compressed air tank, this tank pressure is then used to restart.

tanks Mike  :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Pretty sure mine uses a 2nd electric motor to restart  :cool:

So, a starter motor then?  :p

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
The number of the beast, and Leet:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The number of the beast, and Leet:

:goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :scared:

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Phew, I didn't misfuel it.  :sweating: You must be really drowsy to miss those warnings. This is my first diesel car, so there's a risk to instinctively pick up the 95E nozzle like I have done for years. My average consumption was 5.4 L/100km.

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
I would have thought they would display the speed in both km/h and mph on the dials like mine does except the mph is in bigger font
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I would have thought they would display the speed in both km/h and mph on the dials like mine does except the mph is in bigger font

We are a long way from anywhere that uses MPH  :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Phew, I didn't misfuel it.  :sweating: You must be really drowsy to miss those warnings. This is my first diesel car, so there's a risk to instinctively pick up the 95E nozzle like I have done for years. My average consumption was 5.4 L/100km.

Contact this supplier, they post in Australia only, but they may be able to supply you with this. I have them on my car, can't mis-fuel.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyundai-iLoad-iMax-Santa-Fe./...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Phew, I didn't misfuel it.  :sweating: You must be really drowsy to miss those warnings.

Believe it or not, some have.... :whistler:  :lol:
Congratulations on your car.  :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Congratulations on the new wagon, I will follow your ownership with interest....Not too many GD wagons on here yet. Now that Kev is gone, I have some car decisions to make in June 2015.....

Oh you didn't happen to see any Deloreans while you were picking it up did you.... :offtopic:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Congratulations on the new wagon, I will follow your ownership with interest....Not too many GD wagons on here yet. Now that Kev is gone, I have some car decisions to make in June 2015.....

Oh you didn't happen to see any Deloreans while you were picking it up did you.... :offtopic:

I have noticed the same that most i30s here seems to be hatchbacks.

Nope, I didn't see the DeLorean again; maybe it was gone to another time line  :lol:

Offline Glacius

• V.I.P

• no Norway
      Troms
Great car dude! I love the wagon version looks so sleek would love to see this one with my vinyl, lowered with tints haha :P maybe one day :P

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I have noticed the same that most i30s here seems to be hatchbacks.

Nope, I didn't see the DeLorean again; maybe it was gone to another time line  :lol:

Real men drive wagons..... :cool:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Winter is approaching and we got the first snow, but according to weather forecast it will melt away next week. With studded winter tyres my baby performed quite well in slippery roads, although you still need to drive almost granny-style in bad conditions. Those slush build-ups in mudguards should be kicked off after driving to prevent them freezing up and possibly interfering with tyres later.

I had a little mishap when changing tyres. I had my winter tyres put to basic steel rims which are then covered by hubcaps. After changing all tyres I found out that the centers of hubcaps must be under the wheel nuts!  :-[ So, I had to remove all nuts from every wheel to get the hubcaps on, including lifting corners by car jack again, as it would have collapsed without support when removing all nuts. I haven't had those kind of hubcaps before, but I think I'll remember it next time...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal