i30 Owners Club

Mini DVR 0801

Guest · 32 · 12226

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
As much as I like the picture quality of my DOD F520 car cam, I find the awkward shape a pain so had been considering upgrading to one of the more modern shape DODs....
That was until my brother sent me a link for one of these mini cams which he has bought and is now awaiting delivery.

I like the fact that it is so small and discreet while still offering pretty good video quality. The GPS tracker could be worth having too...  :undecided:

Mini 0801 Ambarella A2S60 Chip CAR DVR Blackbox HD 1080P OV2710 G Sensor GPS |

Here's a half decent review..... :)

* the latest version of the cam stores the video in MOV format compared to the review's TS files....

REVIEW: Mini DVR 0801 The Smallest 1080p LCD Car Dash Cam with Ambarella A2S60 -

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Looks interesting.  Dazz will like that because it is not mounted with a rubber sucker that falls off in hot weather.

I await your road test with interest.... :goodjob:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Cheers Alan....I'll be holding off purchasing until I get a glowing report from my brother...  :D

That and until I have some spare cash....  :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Looks quite decent I have to say :)

You'd need to find out why the reviewer recommended a CL10 card while the ebay listing says not to use higher than CL6.

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks interesting.  Dazz will like that because it is not mounted with a rubber sucker that falls off in hot weather.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for stuff like that  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I like the fact that it is so small and discreet

You've stolen that line from a TV ad we get over here.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Nothing says 'yesterday' like big, bulky and heavy. Tiny is a real winner. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
What brand TV?

It wasn't a TV ad.
It was a TV ad.
Some lady selling something that was easy to wear, small and discreet.  :Dunno:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Nothing says 'yesterday' like big, bulky and heavy. Tiny is a real winner. :victory:

I've always thought that.... :D

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
I've just got one of these for Christmas. It looks like a cracking piece of kit. I've mounted it up behind the rear view mirror with the power cable tucked inside the headlining, down the passenger side pillar and under the glove box. The only problem so far is getting the sticky pad to actually stick to the windscreen. Its come off a couple of times leaving the camera dangling so I've bought a pack of sellotape sticky fixers to see if they are any better. Video quality is good at 1080 30fps and it seems to run happily with my 32gig class 4 micro sd. I'm still 'playing' with the settings but so far its looking like a good buy.
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline Geothe50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sandringham, VIC
I bought one of these (with GPS and a couple of extra mounting brackets) a few days ago from here  Mini 0801 Ambarella Black Box Car DVR With A2S60 + OV2710 + Full HD 30FPS +
The shipment is on its way. I will provide feedback on my experience with the Mini 0801 once I have had it in use for a while. I also ordered a Samsung 32GB Class 6 microSDHC card from Amazon - as recommended by DashCamTalk Mini 0801 | Dash Cam Talk; it seems the Mini 0801 can be finicky when it comes to microSDHC cards. Watch this space  :wink:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:37:32 by Geothe50 »
  • Subaru Forester, i30 Elite 1.8L Petrol Auto

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Here are some clips that I've recorded on mine over the past few days. The video quality varies with me tinkering with settings but you get the idea

E-PRANCE Mini 0801 Original Ambarella A2S60 - YouTube
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
The video quality varies with me tinkering with settings but you get the idea

Better than the driving qualities of some your fellow road users :whistler:

Offline Geothe50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sandringham, VIC
I bought one of these (with GPS and a couple of extra mounting brackets) a few days ago from here  Mini 0801 Ambarella Black Box Car DVR With A2S60 + OV2710 + Full HD 30FPS +
The shipment is on its way. I will provide feedback on my experience with the Mini 0801 once I have had it in use for a while. I also ordered a Samsung 32GB Class 6 microSDHC card from Amazon - as recommended by DashCamTalk Mini 0801 | Dash Cam Talk; it seems the Mini 0801 can be finicky when it comes to microSDHC cards. Watch this space  :wink:

UPDATE:  I have used my Mini 0801 (with GPS) for a couple of weeks now. The installed Samsung 32GB class 6 microSDHC card has already been filled up with the cam's MOV files. Loop setting is 3 minutes; audio recording OFF and G-sensor precision set to CLOSE / OFF. The car cam continues to record 3 min blocks (ea 307MB), overwriting older files in the process. Video / Picture quality is great at HD setting and the 285cm long power cable makes it easy to instal the camera. So far I am impressed with this tiny gadget.
PS: Since there are enough video clip samples around I do not intend to publish my own   :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks I have a Brother who is quite interested in one of these!  :goodjob:

Offline Geothe50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sandringham, VIC

UPDATE:  I have used my Mini 0801 (with GPS) for a couple of weeks now. The installed Samsung 32GB class 6 microSDHC card has already been filled up with the cam's MOV files. Loop setting is 3 minutes; audio recording OFF and G-sensor precision set to CLOSE / OFF. The car cam continues to record 3 min blocks (ea 307MB), overwriting older files in the process. Video / Picture quality is great at HD setting and the 285cm long power cable makes it easy to instal the camera. So far I am impressed with this tiny gadget.
PS: Since there are enough video clip samples around I do not intend to publish my own   :)

Postscript:  I just found out that there is now also a Macintosh version of a Dashcam Viewer for the Mini 0801. The free "lite" version can be downloaded from  Mac Dashcam Viewer | Earthshine Software. The functionality of this software is similar to that of the RegistratorViewer for Windows  :goodjob2:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Apparently an improved "low light" 0801 Dash Cam will be available early March :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Apparently an improved "low light" 0801 Dash Cam will be available early March :D
Excellent thanks Mike!

and thanks Geoff for that further info too! :goodjob:

Offline Geothe50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sandringham, VIC

The release of an improved hardware version of the Mini 0801 has been rumoured for a while. One has to wait and see how that new technology is being rolled out by the various manufacturers. I certainly won't be an early buyer   :wink:

Offline Geothe50

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sandringham, VIC

Postscript:  I just found out that there is now also a Macintosh version of a Dashcam Viewer for the Mini 0801. The free "lite" version can be downloaded from  Mac Dashcam Viewer | Earthshine Software. The functionality of this software is similar to that of the RegistratorViewer for Windows  :goodjob2:

PPS:  I explored the features of this Dashcam Viewer (for Mac) a bit further today. IMO it is still a beta version; the GPS tracking is inaccurate & jerky and one of the windows is not resizable   :( 
The RegistratorViewer (for Windows) is a much more polished product... and FREE   :D

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

I'll be holding off purchasing until I get a glowing report from my brother...  :D

Any feedback from your Brother - yet :undecided: :question:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Unfortunately no....He's had too many health issues in recent times so the camera has been shelved for the moment... :(
Maybe next time I visit him I'll drag it out and give it a spin myself.... :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Or he could take it into hospital and put it beside his bed  :whistler: :P

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Now that's a thought.... :whistler:

But then, do we really wanna see him in his undies?  :eek:

Offline Miss Warren

• 2nd Gear

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Now that's a thought.... :whistler:

But then, do we really wanna see him in his undies?  :eek:

I was thinking on the floor on the opposite side of the bed to the one he gets out of... :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal