i30 Owners Club

Rustynutz' i30 Test Drive

Guest · 41 · 21749

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I managed to get to my local Hyundai dealer this afternoon to test drive the new i30 and to eat a few of their snags.  :D

Unfortunately both cars made available for the test drive were autos so a drive in a manual will have to wait for another time.

On test was an “Active”, which is the base model, this was fitted with a diesel engine and the “Elite”, which is the next model up and, in this case, had a petrol engine.

Young Aaron (the car salesman) impressed me as he ran through the features of the new cars and who then accompanied me on the drive. It’s actually nice to deal with someone who knows the product and is also enthusiastic…

While ideally I would have loved to have driven an “Elite”, opting for the “Active” made the most sense as it had the diesel engine which is what I’m interested in and, as I knew the test drive was going to be short, I also figured I would most likely not have the time to take in all the "extras" of the Elite. This proved true as I didn’t even get to try the radio out or the different steering settings!  :-[

First impressions were, dare I say, impressive!  It felt very smooth to drive and much more refined than the model it replaces, even in base model form.

Due to having an ear infection at the moment I can’t really comment too much about noise levels but what I can say is, after having driving the new model, my "old" i30 feels quite "agricultural" in comparison... :-[

With the test drive being so short, it was pretty hard to take everything in but two things I couldn't help but notice, was how easy it was to drive and how nice and smooth the auto transmission felt. Ride also seemed less harsh than my own car but of course this may be due to the higher tyre pressures I run.

While I only got to take it around a few sharp bends at highway speeds, it handled them with ease, feeling well planted and undisturbed by the few nasty bumps I happened to hit.  :goodjob:

All too soon I was back at the car yard, wishing I could have had the car for an hour or two so I could give it a more thorough run, oh well.....  :(

The diesel"Active"....

The petrol "Elite"

(click to show/hide)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks for the report.
Did you get to try the auto trans in manual mode? I'd like to give one a try.
Also, does anyone know why the front bumpers are black on some cars and painted on others?
It doesn't seem to be Actives in black as I would have thought  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Thanks for the report.
Also, does anyone know why the front bumpers are black on some cars and painted on others?

In the UK the base model has the body coloured grill panel (where the reg plate mounts) and the higher specs get a black panel and twin chrome bars.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That might be the same here then.
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the painted version looks more upmarket?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Guys... It's a bit weird Dave and has been mentioned somewhere before. It appears that the base model gets the colour coded middle section and higher models get the other one  :confused: (Colour coded looks more up market in my opinion)  :wacko:

Edit: so I agree Dave...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Rusty
Would you/will you buy one?
I would - I liked it.
I always said I'd get a manual but now I'm having second thoughts. I'm getting on, I'm allowed to   :lol:
I like the idea of a six speed auto with the sequential shift being on the gear lever. I prefer that to steering wheel paddles personally.
But then again, driving the manual today was a pure pleasure as the shift quality was very good.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Moved to TEST DRIVES & TESTIMONIALS to see how it looks :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks for the report.

Geez, I must be more delirious than I thought, I could've sworn I didn't start a new thread!  :scared:

Anyhow, back on topic...

I never got to try it in manual mode, in fact I never thought of it.....
That's the problem when you're forced to do a test drive with the salesman in tow....too much chatter, and not enough keeping the mind on the job at hand.... :(

I would've given the car a bit more stick and found a more suitable "test track" too....oh well.....  :undecided:

Rusty
Would you/will you buy one?
I would - I liked it.

I'd love to buy one but unless I win Lotto or a rich relative croaks and leaves me money, then it's not gonna happen...... :(

Just an "add" to my little drive.....

To me there appears to be slightly less leg room in the back and also you wouldn't want to be trying to carry anyone much over 6ft tall as there's less headroom compared to the old dunger.

Also I was a whisker disappointed that Hyundai didn't see fit to use hydraulic struts to hold up the bonnet......oh well, I guess there's always aftermarket struts like I've used on my current car.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Thanks for the report.

Do keep up :whistler: :lol:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=10339.msg157200#msg157200
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Thanks for the report.

Do keep up :whistler: :lol:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=10339.msg157200#msg157200

I find it hard, sometimes.  :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
On those occasions you need to make the most of it and start cuddling up to the wife....  :p

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline DieselEd

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western SYDNEY, NSW
The twin chrome bars on the new higher spec models don't do anything for me.  Much too busy and complex from a design point of view.  I would have preferred either a chrome strip along the top with the Hyundai logo in the middle, much like the current design of our original i30's, or a couple of thinner chrome horizontal lines (parallel) across the middle of the top section with the logo in the middle.  The non-parallel chrome bars, while probably inspired by their fluidic design concept, cheapen the look of the car IMO.  I would have to agree that the lower spec model with the painted infill seems a more coherent design.  I've never ever really liked the way Peugeot went with the huge open gaping hole grille on their later model 307's and 308's that looked as though someone forgot to put the rest of the front on the car during manufacture!  What do others think?
  • White Manual 1.6 Diesel SLX Hatch

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The twin chrome bars on the new higher spec models don't do anything for me.  Much too busy and complex from a design point of view.  I would have preferred either a chrome strip along the top with the Hyundai logo in the middle, much like the current design of our original i30's, or a couple of thinner chrome horizontal lines (parallel) across the middle of the top section with the logo in the middle.  The non-parallel chrome bars, while probably inspired by their fluidic design concept, cheapen the look of the car IMO.  I would have to agree that the lower spec model with the painted infill seems a more coherent design.  I've never ever really liked the way Peugeot went with the huge open gaping hole grille on their later model 307's and 308's that looked as though someone forgot to put the rest of the front on the car during manufacture!  What do others think?

I agree with you about the Peugeot grill - but not the i30.  I much prefer the twin chrome bars.  I'm not sure about the black bar across the grill though - it might look better in body colour. We need a photoshop expert to create a sample for us!!!!

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Don't need photoshop, just need to look at the base model at your dealer!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry Alan but I prefer the front of the red and light blue base model to that of the higher models like yours (Obviously that painted bit in the middle will be susceptible to paint chips though) :sweating:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

But they don't have the swoopy chrome bars do they?  :undecided:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Not so - The base model lacks the twin chrome bars and the centre panel is shaped differently.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Here is the base model

http://www.bcarwallpapers.com/photo/4017.aspx

http://motorride.net/hyundai/hyundai-launches-2012-i30-uk.html/
Interestingly this one looks to me like it was not a base model (are those pop out headlamp washers I see?).

The swoopy bars are part of the fluidic design, like the ix20 the swoop from the bottom grill bar continues into the curvature in the headlights.

Offline d3matt

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire

• 2012 Style 1 .6 CRDi 128PS Blue Drive
I much prefer the Style/Premium front end with the black bar and chrome grill.  The main reason is the painted section on the base model is much larger and gives the car a completely different look and in my eye its far too old school Hyundai - much like the ix35 is - too Korean rather than classy/premium Euro styling.  This is why I've favoured Kia's in recent years as their styling is sharp, modern and stylish (thanks to Peter Schreyer).  Many Hyundai have that old-school Korean design idea of too many large curves, which just look ugly.  The new i30 has it too (lines along the wings & doors), but a minimal level and just on the side of getting right and it looks good.  Any more and it would look ugly.  I do feel that the larger body coloured bar in the front grill of the base model almost tips the balance for me.
The Sportage vs ix35 is a good example:

I think the ix35 is pig ugly from the front, but much better at the rear.  Still not as good as the Sportage.  That has a Audi quality when seen from behind.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have said the same thing about the ix35 styling. I also like the Sportage styling better... :goodjob:

I think the Fluidic design looks good on most of the other new Hyundais though  :cool:

Offline d3matt

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Oxfordshire

• 2012 Style 1 .6 CRDi 128PS Blue Drive
Still, at least Hyundai designers aren't as bad as the other Korean manufacturer SsangYong....

What beauties!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes  :rofl: Designed by a committee  :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes  :rofl: Designed by a committee  :whistler:

....of sight-impaired people.  :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Edsel, making a comeback  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i would have thought the painted part on the front of the base model would have been on the higher models,with the black on the lower end model,Hyundai seem to have arsed it about.  :wacko: :confused:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

That might be the same here then.
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the painted version looks more upmarket?

I'm no good at photoshopping - but this gives a crude comparison. I know which I prefer - the black one.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just as an aside to my test drive.....

To encourage people to come take a test drive in the new i30, my local dealer ran a "door prize" with the lucky winner receiving 2 gift vouchers, first one a dinner for two at a local restaurant and the another was for two tickets at the local Cinema.....

I received notification in the mail today informing me that I had won....  :D   :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal