Dazzler's GD i30 CRDi Test Drive

Dazzler · 40 · 22541

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
OK, so I finally got to drive one of the new GD i30 CRDi's (A manual mid range Elite in Silver)
Didn't take any photos sorry (just a standard i30 elite)

I wanted to drive this after being disappointed with the performance and road rumble in the Premium (top of the Range) i40 CRDi Auto that I drove a week or so ago.

It was only a short drive (about 20 kms of mixed driving - Suburban, Rural and Highway)

The Positives...

+ Considerably less road noise than the previous mid range SLX CRDi that we owned
+ Ride seemed a bit more compliant than our previous diesel also
+ Feels very solid and well put together (no rattles)
+ Seats very comfortable
+ Like the interior styling and instrumentation
+ Quite liked the display prompting you to change gears (you can easily choose to ignore it)
+ Reversing camera is great (Sensor beep is fairly loud though  :eek:)
+ Exterior styling nice (but like the sedan shape of the Elantra/i40 more + bigger boot)
+ Nice smooth gear change like the later FD series cars + 6 speed  :goodjob2:
+ Torque of the Diesel engine

Negatives

- Not quite as responsive as I remember our FD CRDi being
- Vibration of Diesel through steering feels a bit harsh after driving a petrol hybrid
- Steering felt heavier and not as nice as the i40 Premium (Not sure what setting it was on as couldn't see any indicators on the dash and didn't really have time to fiddle) 
- Nice car but I didn't fall in love with it..

I guess I've got used to a larger slightly more refined vehicle  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I guess I've got used to a larger slightly more refined vehicle  :undecided:

Comes with age for some people.
Good report though.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Good report.
I wonder if the not as responsive point is due to it being brand new and a tight engine?
Interesting about the vibration through the wheel etc. One thing I mentioned in one of my posts after driving the GD was that I felt I could hear the diesel engine more at idle than in my old one.
Nothing definite of course, only my ears to rely on.
I hope I love my new one as much as I did the old.  :)
I can see maybe a new Hybrid coming on for you Dazz?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
I've got the cheque and off to the dealer to pick mine up tomorrow. hopefully the steering feedback is simply just a 'flex steer' option.

Thanks for the little review razzle dazzle

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good report.
I wonder if the not as responsive point is due to it being brand new and a tight engine?
Interesting about the vibration through the wheel etc. One thing I mentioned in one of my posts after driving the GD was that I felt I could hear the diesel engine more at idle than in my old one.

Yes Dave, looking very much like it ..

The motor did sound loud when I first fired it up from cold but nice and quiet once warm and on the highway  :goodjob2:

You might be right about the engine being tight but I think it is more to do what you are coming from.

When coming from an Elantra and Getz to the old model Demo FD CRDi and later our own FD CRDi they both felt responsive from the first drive. But coming from our Hybrid (8.9 seconds 0-100kms) not quite so impressive.

Liked the 2000 RPM  cruise in 6th at the speed limit though  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

No Probs Alex,

Just seemed heavier than I expected but could have been the tyre pressures or may have been on sport setting  :cool:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
I have ~400km drive home from the dealer so I might add my own opinions once I have it back home tomorrow night.

I have been driving an '05 liberty GT wagon for the past few years, so this has some big boots to fill :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have ~400km drive home from the dealer so I might add my own opinions once I have it back home tomorrow night.

I have been driving an '05 liberty GT wagon for the past few years, so this has some big boots to fill :)

Yes please do  :goodjob: I think you will be happy.. great cruiser and your petrol bills will be half or less :happydance:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie

Will be much better economy than the liberty, however my work and back car is a hobby built charade, 100% plug in E.V.! Gonna be hard to beat that ;)

edit: can't take credit for building it, was my ol' man

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Good report.

Yes Dave, looking very much like it ..

The motor did sound loud when I first fired it up from cold but nice and quiet once warm and on the highway  :goodjob2:

You might be right about the engine being tight but I think it is more to do what you are coming from.

When coming from an Elantra and Getz to the old model Demo FD CRDi and later our own FD CRDi they both felt responsive from the first drive. But coming from our Hybrid (8.9 seconds 0-100kms) not quite so impressive.

Liked the 2000 RPM  cruise in 6th at the speed limit though  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

No Probs Alex,

Just seemed heavier than I expected but could have been the tyre pressures or may have been on sport setting  :cool:

Is your speed limit 100 or 110 in Tassie? I'm presuming 110 km/h.
Yes, looking forward to that plus the (hopefully) smoother gearbox.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, 110 on most of the Highways Dave  :goodjob2: (Roughly 2000rpm in 6th)

Alex,

I would enjoy the Charade .. I love it when the Hybrid is running on electric only  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Alex,

I would enjoy the Charade .. I love it when the Hybrid is running on electric only  :goodjob:

Does it give you a buzz?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Alex,

No, just a tingling feeling where I keep my wallet  :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Alex,

No, just a tingling feeling where I keep my wallet  :whistler:
That's shocking.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'd find it electrifying.
Hope he doesn't suffer a blackout.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

No, Watt's on second.
Who's on first?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Still one of the funniest things I have ever seen.
Even more remarkable considering they did each performance live. In some, you can see them cracking up and trying to keep a straight face.
I used to use it in training to demonstrate how important it was to explain yourself clearly and how misunderstandings can happen in the sales process..

Now, get back on topic you lot. :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:rofl:
Yes, worth watching again.
Ah, the meaning of life........
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Great you got to test drive one Dazz.
i think Alan mentioned the new model CRDi has taller gearing, so that would make them feel slightly less responcive, but they would have lower rev at cruising speed.

I'm thinking about testing the Velosta turbo.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Did you see what I ended up buying John  :happydance:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Did you see what I ended up buying John  :happydance:

Wow Dazz good for you, i'll look back in the posts.
i'm still happy with my oldschool i30 CRDi 6 speed, it has more Torque and pulls smooth from lower rev than my first i30 did also great economy. just io don't drive it as much as always use my motor bike as thats heaps more fun unless its raining.

:-[ Hi Dazz, i've looked up & down this thread, and still don't know what you finished up buying?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 21:44:00 by Lakes »

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Alex,

Dazz that explains why the new CRDi does not feel as responcive as your old one, my 6 speed CRDi U2 in the last model of the old style that has  4.5L/ 100K sticker on window is doing more like 100kph @ 2,000rev but thats how i like it it excellerates same or better than my old 5 speed CRDi and pulls smoother from very low rev like it is happy to pull from 1,000 rev with part throtle no gerking just pulls smooth ( on a flat stretch of road ) for hills you need 1,700 rev or more. now has 28,000k & over one year old performs good & very good economy like in sydney traffic i'm seeing 5.1L/100k to 5.2L/100k this is if i just leave the trip computer as is for a month and only use car in Sydney traffic. if i do a Trip it's easy to get 4.5L/100k now and if i drive carefull can get it down a lot lower easy. ( thats what i love about it ) i don't have a scangauge to help, just driving experience. if i had a Trip PC that read out fuel useage as it happened, i'm sure i could improve on my best effort.
i'll tell you why i like these Hyundai's, its because they have never ever let me down not once. they always start. just like a Toyota work Van, but the Toyota has a terrible ride over speed humps. but as i said i ride a performance MotorCycle and just can't get excited driving a car now. ( unless its raining )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My "old" Hybrid is rated at 6.0 LPH combined and now the weather has improved it's back to 6.3 LPH  :goodjob:

The new one I've ordered is rated at 5.2 LPH so hopefully I can get around 5.5 which would be good for a big car capable of 0-100 in under 8 seconds (according to road tests around 7.5 seconds)

I can comfortably get 900 kms out of a tank in the 2010 model (without taking any risks of running out) so hoping to break the magic 1000 in the new one ... (I know you can do that easily in your car  :Pout:)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My "old" Hybrid is rated at 6.0 LPH combined and now the weather has improved it's back to 6.3 LPH  :goodjob:

The new one I've ordered is rated at 5.2 LPH so hopefully I can get around 5.5 which would be good for a big car capable of 0-100 in under 8 seconds (according to road tests around 7.5 seconds)

I can comfortably get 900 kms out of a tank in the 2010 model (without taking any risks of running out) so hoping to break the magic 1000 in the new one ... (I know you can do that easily in your car  :Pout:)

Well good luck with it Dazz, you telling me u can loose your licence in 7 second in a 60kph zone? lol i think the Bike i got gets to 170kph in around 6.5 seconds thats going off a time ticket & 200meters or close to that, but i just go easy on the road, am going up the coast near QLD soon.
i like smaller cars, thats why i would like to test the Velosta turbo as think it could be fun also its Hyundai so trust it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well good luck with it Dazz, you telling me u can loose your licence in 7 second in a 60kph zone? lol i think the Bike i got gets to 170kph in around 6.5 seconds thats going off a time ticket & 200meters or close to that, but i just go easy on the road, am going up the coast near QLD soon.
i like smaller cars, thats why i would like to test the Velosta turbo as think it could be fun also its Hyundai so trust it.

I made the mistake of telling the guys at the Hyundai dealer I'm not allowed to have a Veloster (so I can't really ask for a test drive of the turbo now  :disapp:)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I made the mistake of telling the guys at the Hyundai dealer I'm not allowed to have a Veloster (so I can't really ask for a test drive of the turbo now  :disapp:)

Dazz does not seem that long that you got that Toy Hybrid? the only thing that i don't like about Hybid is the size of the battery they use & the cost to replace also what happens to the used battery? i would never buy a used Hybid. but you love them so good for you.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You get 8 years warranty on the battery and I'm sure they could be recycled to some extent.

Resale on the hybrids is a bit iffy because a fair few people obviously think like you..

I think acceptance is going to improve quite a bit over the next year or two as most of the major plans intend releasing a Hybrid of some sort.

I said to Trish yesterday when we were cruising along on electric only, that even our existing Hybrid has spoiled me for anything else now. They just feel so refined compared to anything else under $50,000 ...

I would love you to drive one of the new model just to see how amazing they are  :goodjob2:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You get 8 years warranty on the battery and I'm sure they could be recycled to some extent.

Resale on the hybrids is a bit iffy because a fair few people obviously think like you..

I think acceptance is going to improve quite a bit over the next year or two as most of the major plans intend releasing a Hybrid of some sort.

I said to Trish yesterday when we were cruising along on electric only, that even our existing Hybrid has spoiled me for anything else now. They just feel so refined compared to anything else under $50,000 ...

I would love you to drive one of the new model just to see how amazing they are  :goodjob2:

Dazz can you just run it on electric only if you choose? or petrol only if your that way?
i was under the impression you have to pay to dispose of the old battery but 8 years warranty. i know you Dazz three years at most and a new car excites you  LOL

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal