Dazzler's GD i30 CRDi Test Drive

Dazzler · 40 · 22543

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My existing Hybrid is not switchable just works it out itself, Electric or Petrol Electric...

The New One has EV mode which will let it go up to 2kms on Battery (the funny thing is I could make my existing one do that on flat roads just by using a certain driving technique) for example I can take the scenic drive to Burnie (50kms) and only use 30kms of petrol  :happydance:

Don't think you can run just on petrol  :undecided: (unless the battery died) and then I guess it would..

The reason I want you to drive one is that the new model feels as potent as a V8 and yet apparently even if you flog it (according to reviewers) it will still return mid 7's and has an ADR Combined of 5.2 LPH  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It amazes me that they go to the effort to put all the batteries and the additional motor into the Toyota.

Yet it only rates 0.4l/100 better than the I40.

For all the effort and materials used (and green house gasses used in the production of same), one would think it was batter.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good point beerman but the performance is so much better and the driveline feels so much more refined than the diesel  :cool:

I can live with the added vibration generated by the diesel and the diesel chatter at start up and when cold but there has to be a benefit (such as a push in the back and bags of torque up the hills)

I got neither from the Auto i40 or the new GD i30 ...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
All that is true Dazz, just when they break, you hope you have full warranty they say those Hybid drive systems cost heaps to fix. nothing lasts forever & useing the extra Torque costs $. what is tyre wear like?

Its well known fact electric motors can excellerate up to a speed very quick, but all hybid Toyota drivers i see don't drive them like HSV hoons, more like women :rofl: so your the only one that drives them with spirit Dazz  :)

Also i know next to nothing about how they keep there batterys charged while on the move, but i did read that they are more suited to stop start city driving as, when you use the brake thats when they generate power to charge the batterys, is this true? also on your trip up to the mainland what was the economy like coming up the south coast? as my i30 CRDi 5 speed averaged 4.3L/100k going down the south coast to Melbourne & thats around 900k? to 1,000k i did the trip down the coast on 44L if i remember right? how far did Hybrid go on that trip just useing battery?
also is insurance for hybrid the same?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 22:13:08 by Lakes »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The camry hybrid and the prius for that matter have an enviable reliability record  :sweating: I hear the crdi motors are expensive to fix too  :snigger:

Insurance seems to be about the same as a normal car. I pay roughly $400 with agreed value and glass cover.

We got 6.1 lph average for our 5000 km trip and that was sitting on the speed limit by the gps most of the time. With the stop start technology around town, I find the economy is roughly the same on the highway as it is around town.

I do drive for economy most of the time but like to drive at the speed limits as much as possible. I like to get where I'm going  :winker:

Got around 50k out of the first set of tyres on the hybrid.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
The camry hybrid and the prius for that matter have an enviable reliability record  :sweating: I hear the crdi motors are expensive to fix too  :snigger:

Insurance seems to be about the same as a normal car. I pay roughly $400 with agreed value and glass cover.

We got 6.1 lph average for our 5000 km trip and that was sitting on the speed limit by the gps most of the time. With the stop start technology around town, I find the economy is roughly the same on the highway as it is around town.

I do drive for economy most of the time but like to drive at the speed limits as much as possible. I like to get where I'm going  :winker:

All that is true Dazz, but i can work on a motor myself if i have too, if Hyundai 5 year unlimited K warranty is fixing it i don't have to worry. but those Hybrid motors & drive systems are  a drifferent story. but like Golf buggy's i guess , the Battery they use costs far in excess of a new set of Diesel injectors fitted . the Prius if i remember has a very dicy record in the States.
Mercedes Benz have a new Hybrid that out performs the Camery and gets better economy than the i30 CRDi, have you seen that one Dazz?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mercedes Benz have a new Hybrid that out performs the Camery and gets better economy than the i30 CRDi, have you seen that one Dazz?

Hybrids are getting more and more common (I imagine the Merc would be a lot more than 34K)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Rusty I enjoyed that  :happydance: I thought they (and the Camry Hybrid) had a good name for reliability  :goodjob:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal