• england England
      Essex
Model: GD i30 active 1.6 CRDi 110ps
Date in use: 15/12/12
Mileage when delivered: 15
Date now:17/02/13
Mileage now 5,986
Average MPG 50.9 (5.5 lts/100km)

In my first two months with the i30 say I would say that overall I'm very very pleased with the decision to buy these cars for the company.

We find them very refined and comfortable in comparison to the previous cars which were Nissan notes. They offer very relaxed cruising and in town they perform equally as well.

The things I like in comparison to the previous cars include the push button heater controls, a lot better than a vague knob, dash illumination control, great for dark country lanes at night, the six speed gearbox is a delight, the heavily raked windscreen help with a very light and airy feel inside and generally the overall quality and fit of the interior.

If I did have a few minor complaints about the vehicle it will be that some simple little "touches" are missing. 

Things like no lumbar support, the arm rest on the active model is far too low to actually rest your arm on and with the Nissan's, if you had the front wipers on, and you put the car into reverse, this would activate the rear wiper. This would cost next to nothing to add, but i can't help but feel that hyundai missed a trick with that one. the other annoying thing is the road noise coming from the "Eco" tyres, however I do plan to swap them for continentals when they wear out.

My biggest gripe however is the fuel consumption. Nissan claimed to offer 67.3 mpg(4.2lts/100km) , we achieved 54.3mpg (5.2 lts/100km). 80.6% of the advertised figure.

With the Hyundais they advertise 76.3mpg (3.7lts/100km)  I am achieving 50.9mpg(5.5 lts/100km) just 66.7% of the advertised figure. 

Admittedly all these figures are taken from the on-board computer so there may be a degree of inaccuracy however they're still disappointing. If we were getting 75-80% of the advertised figures, I'd be happier.

This aside, the cars fantastic! Spending sometimes up to 6-8 hours a day in any car is tiring, but the i30 seems to take it in it's stride.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Nice report - thanks for posting. Glad to see that you are happy with the cars.

Regarding fuel consumption - a brim to brim check would be more meaningful. I have averaged 54.6 mpg over 10,200 miles since new with a best of 59.4 mpg and a worst of 50.4 mpg on a tank measured brim to brim and with compensation for the odometer inaccuracy of -1.8%
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
Thanks Alan, I need to fill up tomorrow so I'll give the brim to brim a try.

I forgot to say that unlike what I've read most people say, I have my flex steer on sport most of the time, I find this the best option, but when parking, I just flick it onto comfort. I also find this car a little harder to squeeze into tight spaces in London than the last one, but then it is bigger!  :snigger:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
with the Nissan's, if you had the front wipers on, and you put the car into reverse, this would activate the rear wiper.

Nice little extra
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I have my flex steer on sport most of the time, I find this the best option, but when parking, I just flick it onto comfort.

I prefer the comfort as I find sport heavy for my "around town" driving
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I presume you are aware that brimming the tank takes quite a while because the diesel foams such a lot. But for accuracy you need to dribble the last 10 litres in until the fuel is visible and stationary in the filler neck. When I run the car until the warning light comes on - I usually get at least 55 litres into the empty tank. On one notable occasion when I ran the car until the trip forecast was 20 miles to empty I got 60.3 litres in.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
with the Nissan's, if you had the front wipers on, and you put the car into reverse, this would activate the rear wiper.

Nice little extra

That feature have been standard on VW's for allmost 10 years.... :cool:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
Just an update on the fuel economy.

I've been doing brim to brim calculations and that shows I'm averaging 54.78mpg (5.2 Litres/100 km).
Better, but still not fantastic!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
How many miles on the clock now  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Just an update on the fuel economy.

I've been doing brim to brim calculations and that shows I'm averaging 54.78mpg (5.2 Litres/100 km).
Better, but still not fantastic!

That's pretty good in day to day use.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline immx

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Essex
How many miles on the clock now  :question:

Just over 7,800 ( 12,552 km), it's racking up fast, only 11weeks in!

Offline SPman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE of Perth

• 2018 i30 SR Man. - Blue
Over 13,000 km on our CW diesel 6 speed we're getting just under 6l/100km. (46mpg). 45% built up areas, 55% open country roads.  I thought that was reasonable - we don't usually hang around. Would probably help if the missus remembered it had a 6th gear more often.........and who believes advertising claims - perfect figures for a perfect world......
  • 2018 i30 SR Man.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's a good attitude. No complaints, realistic observations.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal