i30 Owners Club

Losing Ambient Temp readout after Carplay upgrade - OBD replacement?

Offline aranciataoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi everyone ...

Can't believe I'm posting again after how many years ... might be because our trusty GD i30 Tourer diesel clocking over 150k km now rarely puts a foot wrong that I don't have to ask for any help!

Anyway I digress ... I'm helping a friend install a Carplay unit in her FD ... I've installed a Carplay with no issues in our GD previously so I'm not expecting any dramas ... except there are two differences here with the FD:

1) I have to cut the OEM fascia to fit the double DIN unit - no problems there.
2) The OEM ambient temp readout is unfortunately in the OEM head unit itself (unlike the GD where it's in the driver's instrument panel), so I'm looking for a way to replicate that ambient temp reading somewhere else ... (my friend says she does rely on the that ambient temp readout a lot)

Short of installing one of these - :link: Dual Temperature Display Inside and Outside the Car Dual Temperature Sensor E5P1 6033655577331 | eBay - which I can, but it will involve a bit of cable fishing the sensor to the front of the engine bay near radiator where I believe the current ambient temp sensor resides, but preference is to have an OBD unit displaying the ambient temp - something along these lines - :link: Auto HUD OBD GPS Display Tachometer Öl Druck Air kraftstoff Verhältnis Spannung Geschwindigkeit Temperatur Auto Smart Kopf up display| | - AliExpress

So my question is ... (I've done hours of worldwide research with no definitive answer) ... does anyone know if the FD's ambient temp reading can be accessed via OBD, and if yes, does anyone know of an OBD-based display unit (not a mechanic-grade OBD troubleshooting unit but a simple consumer based display unit) that can display the ambient temp?

Any ideas also welcome to have the ambient temp display in the car's cockpit .... thanks :)

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
As the owner of a Trophy FD 2010, the radio never could display the outside  temp. When delivered the headunit always displayed -40. A small tweak in the HU settings turned off the option.  We were lead to belive the optional  extra fog lights used some of the wiring needed for the sensor. I looked into purchasing a sensor and running the  wires needed, into pin 13 of the head unit. But in the end I didn't  bother.  One thing I will let you know, some temp gauges will read -40 when the sensor is removed, which gave me some hope in sourcing a generic  sensor. Here is the link to the head unit pinout, which looks like the sensor does not use obd/canbus. :link: Wiring Diagrams for FD i30 Audio (now with clearer images)   .
Most android auto units will display the weather, albeit a generic forecast and rough estimate, my newer car has both ambient and android  temp displays and they  are usually 1 or maybe 2 degrees out of sync. Hopefully carplay will have some weather apps that can do similar.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal