i30 Owners Club

TPMS / ESP

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Just Googled about TPMS  but wasn't really informed adequately, so I'll ask those who know.

I've red that the ESP light comes on when there is a pressure difference in tyres. If so, what is the great advantage of having the TPMS fitted. It appears to be a quite expensive option and there are reliability issues with the valves, unless they are carefully maintained. In the light of Hy vehicle pricing creeping up slowly, why not dispense with this function.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It's not just the ESP light. On mine there's a picture of the wheels and should one deflate, you get shown which it is.

Obviously, that's something you cannot do yourself simply by looking...  :honk:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I presume the tyre info you mention is the TPMS display. Well, I would suggest that only a very inexperienced driver would not feel the difference in a deflating tyre. I've had tyres (slowly) deflate front and rear and there's no way I couldn't tell something was wrong. Having TPMS tell you, still requires that the tyre be changed so the end result is still the same. Wouldn't the ESP light be on too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^^^^
Phil you're better than I am.

Having worked in the tyre industry since 1975 I've always been amazed at how far people will drive on a flat tyre without knowing it.
But, having said that, back in the late 70's I had a rear tyre go flat on my Renault 12 on the highway west towards Toowoomba.
It was fully flat (but not destroyed) before I noticed any instability in the car. So I became a little more tolerant of drivers who wrecked their tyres this way.
On the front, it should be immediately obvious. On the rear, less so, especially on a front wheel drive car on a straight road.

All that aside, it has been my observation that the worst damage is done by slow leaks which, due to the benefits of tubeless tyres, can sometimes take a few days to lose 20 psi. So a car gets driven, often for long distances in hot conditions with low pressure. This allows extreme heat build up and eventually the cords (made of polyester) simply melt, resulting in an instantaneous blow out with the resultant loss of control.

So, while I am not a big fan of TPMS myself, I can see the benefits of the system.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I had TPMS on my last Audi - and a right pain it was with both false warnings and failing to pick up low pressure on a couple of occasions.

I resorted to my regular manual checks.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I think I know what PMS stands for, but not quite sure about the T?  :undecided:
Can anyone help me please?
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal