i30 Owners Club

Axle / Jack Stand Point

Offline rushandy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
Hi all,

I've finally got around to fitting my brake pads, and plan to support the car using some heavy duty axle stands that I have. Unfortunately, I can't see a good place to put these to support the car.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the best place to locate these to support the car whilst I carry out the work? Extra kudos if you can supply me with a picture!

Thanks
Andy

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
under the wishbone arms front and lower suspension bar at the back
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rushandy

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Manchester
Thanks Rick,

Problem I'm having is that the jack supplied with the car doesn't seem to be able to get the car up high enough for me to slip the stands under the bit of the wishbone where it would best fit. It's a good few inches off. I used to have a trolley jack but it seems to have disappeared somewhere.

There are other bits of the axle I can get to, but it isn't shaped in such a way that it mates up with the fitting on top of the stand - some of the axle will be sitting correctly on the stand but the other side won't be. It might be that I'm being a bit too cautious as I've not attempted this before.

Any other thoughts?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Andy

Can't you place something under the Jack to make it lift high enough for the stands to come under the car... :question:

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Under the wishbones is the only really safe place to do it. Your Hy jack ( :mrgreen:) will do it if you sit it on a decent block of wood but please make sure you're on flat, solid ground (concrete).

Or else, just to one side at a time, unless you also plan to flush the fluid. If you do one side at a time, slide the wheel/tyre assembly you've taken off, under the wishbone area for safety.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal