i30 Owners Club

New Tyres

Guest · 80 · 28249

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I finally got to replace the tyres on my i30 yesterday.... :)

I ended up going for Continental's Comfort Contact 5's

The main reason I chose these tyres were for their "alleged" quietness so it will be interesting to see if this turns out to be the case.

They cost me $153 each which was quite reasonable considering Bob Jane T Marts wanted $169.  :eek:

I ended up getting 55,500 k's out of the original Hankooks so I was pretty happy considering the goat tracks I drive on at times and the fact that I like to motor around corners... :D

I had a front and rear wheel alignment done a few weeks back so it will be interesting to see how these tyres wear compared to the originals which had scrubbed a little on the inside edge.

I'll post my thoughts on these tyres when I get to put a few K's on them... :undecided:

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
 :goodjob2: :goodjob:
what are your first impressions of the tyres rusty?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'll be really interested in your comments Rusty as these are the tyres I will look at at replacement time, based on Alan's comments and others'.
  • Tertius the i30

Pip
I'll be really interested in your comments Rusty as these are the tyres I will look at at replacement time, based on Alan's comments and others'.
+1

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Gee, the pressure's on now... :eek:
Perhaps I should be out driving instead of sitting at my keyboard....  :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm up for it very soon, so I'm happy to add to the pressure...Mush, Rusty!
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
You may recall that I did a lot of research about tyre noise before I changed to Continentals. I wrote to several tyre companies asking which tyres in their range offered the quietest ride. I posted on this forum the following statement :_

Although my earlier road tests of the various models had proved that the new car is a considerable improvement over the previous model for cabin noise, I arranged for the dealer to change the standard Hankook Ventus Prime 2 tyres to Continental Premium Contact 2 before I took delivery. These Continentals are generally recognised to be one of the best for quiet running.

Before making this decision I did a lot of internet research and corresponded with various tyre manufacturers. Continental advised that the Premium Contact 2 tyres are the least noisy in their range – better in this respect than their later Premium Contact 5 tyre which has been developed to provide improved tyre wear and better extreme wet grip. Continental admitted that other major brands produce tyres that are as quiet – but claim that none are quieter.

I am happy to buy the less durable tyre in order to reduce cabin noise to the absolute minimum.  The car is equipped with a temporary space-saver spare wheel so only 4 new tyres were required.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yeah. The "2"s were what were fitted to our hire car in the UK. Great tyre.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Quite impressive Pip  :goodjob2:

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Thanks pip...yeah, I did read that before I bought mine, not too sure how relevant it is though seeing as the test tyre was a 15 incher with different profile and width... :undecided:

I did a few k's on mine last night but it was hard to tell if they were quieter or not as it was blowing a gale so there was lots of wind noise around the mirrors....
But, perhaps it was because the tyres were quieter that I was hearing this wind noise???  :undecided:

Anyhow, I think I'll reserve my judgement a bit longer as far as their quietness is concerned.

So far dry road performance appears to be at least on par with the original Hankooks which I must admit is fine by me...

I might have to do a rain dance though so I can get to try out their wet weather performance... :whistler:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Put some clothes on first, Rusty.  :rolleyes:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Pip
Anyhow, I think I'll reserve my judgement a bit longer as far as their quietness is concerned.
I'm reading between the lines here. If you didn't notice a significant difference immediately - noisy drive in and a quiet drive out - then there can't be a lot to notice. :undecided:

I've always found that just getting new tyres makes a difference, whatever they are.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
+ 2
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Don't jump the gun yet, fellas....like I said it was very windy so I was hearing a lot of wind noise.
I do believe they are quieter but, I'd rather wait for normal conditions before I make an official call.....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Don't jump the gun yet, fellas....like I said it was very windy so I was hearing a lot of wind noise.

Pills, Rusty, take your flatulence pills.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Ok, after driving on a variety of different road surfaces yesterday I'm happy to say I reckon these tyres are quieter. Not massively so but definitely quieter.  :goodjob:

Now, hopefully we get some rain soon....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Ok, after driving on a variety of different road surfaces yesterday I'm happy to say I reckon these tyres are quieter. Not massively so but definitely quieter.  :goodjob:

Now, hopefully we get some rain soon....

Thanks.
Can you please define "reckon?"
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
consider, believe, perceive, estimate......  :cool:

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
You may recall that I did a lot of research about tyre noise before I changed to Continentals. I wrote to several tyre companies asking which tyres in their range offered the quietest ride. I posted on this forum the following statement :_

Although my earlier road tests of the various models had proved that the new car is a considerable improvement over the previous model for cabin noise, I arranged for the dealer to change the standard Hankook Ventus Prime 2 tyres to Continental Premium Contact 2 before I took delivery. These Continentals are generally recognised to be one of the best for quiet running.

Before making this decision I did a lot of internet research and corresponded with various tyre manufacturers. Continental advised that the Premium Contact 2 tyres are the least noisy in their range – better in this respect than their later Premium Contact 5 tyre which has been developed to provide improved tyre wear and better extreme wet grip. Continental admitted that other major brands produce tyres that are as quiet – but claim that none are quieter.

I am happy to buy the less durable tyre in order to reduce cabin noise to the absolute minimum.  The car is equipped with a temporary space-saver spare wheel so only 4 new tyres were required.

And the result, so far is...........................................................

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

consider, believe, perceive, estimate......  :cool:

Isn't there a distinct differentiation between belief and estimation?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yes, belief has 6 letters and estimation has 10....  :p

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Do you really believe that or was it just an estimation?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

And the result, so far is...........................................................

I have not used the decibel meter since my original comparative tests - but I have no reason to believe that the tyre noise has changed or the wet weather grip is a problem.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Before making this decision
I did a lot of internet research and corresponded with various tyre manufacturers. Continental advised that the Premium Contact 2 tyres are the least noisy in their range – better in this respect than their later Premium Contact 5 tyre which has been developed to provide improved tyre wear and better extreme wet grip. Continental admitted that other major brands produce tyres that are as quiet – but claim that none are quieter.

I have not used the decibel meter since my original comparative tests - but I have no reason to believe that the tyre noise has changed or the wet weather grip is a problem.

Sorry, but did I miss tests on your current Contis?  As I read it you did tests before fitting them.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm reading between the lines here. If you didn't notice a significant difference immediately - noisy drive in and a quiet drive out - then there can't be a lot to notice. :undecided:

I've always found that just getting new tyres makes a difference, whatever they are.

The difficulty here was that I'd just come back from Tasmania where I'd been driving a little Suzuki Alto for 2 1/2 weeks and I've now gone and fitted new tyres to my i30.
As it had been a while since I had driven my car, I had to rely on my memory of how noisy the old tyres were compared to the new....  :undecided:

This past week I drove to Canberra and back in my girlfriend's CW i30 and I couldn't help but notice how much more road noise there was when compared to my i30.
Now, her car does have 17" rims compared to my SLX's 16" which may or may not contribute to more road noise but, I'm happy to say that compared to her car's standard Kumho's, the Continentals are definitely quieter....  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal