i30 Owners Club

i30 faulty door electronics draining battery

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

• 2013 i30 Premium auto,petrol hatch - Dazzling Blue
    • Sydney Pet Rescue & Adoption
Hi everyone, long time since I last posted. I thought I would share my current problem to see if anyone else has had similar.

I have the same door locking electronics issue as per my last post :link: i30 Door locking/unlocking by itself

History - i30 auto 2013 hatch. Keyless entry. Drivers side door outside button stopped working ages ago. was quoted too much just to take off the door to have a look so have been just using the keyfob. Passenger door outside button works ok.

For quite a while now when I approach my locked car on the drivers side, the door locks start opening and closing continuously by themselves without me touching the keyfob or door. I can then open the door in between it locking.
Occasionally the keyfob will work to unlock the door when the above doesn't happen.

So 2 weeks ago 3rd March, I went to garage and car was completely dead, no lights, keyfob not recognised. Could open door with manual key. Called Hyundai roadside assist and NRMA came out and changed my 4 and half year old battery for a new one and all was well.
Tonight went to garage, car was dead again. NRMA came out and said the door locking unlocking was draining the battery as it was completely drained. He said I need to get the electronics fixed or it will keep draining the battery.

Now I have to find an auto electrician. If anyone can recommend one near Bexley, Kogarah, Rockdale I would be grateful.

Has anyone had this issue before??
  • i30 Premium

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I live around your area.  I had a different electrical problem for Hyundai and I asked my regular mechanic if he recommended an auto electrician.  To be honest, he was not prepared to "recommend" as he doesn't think there are many good ones around  our area.

So with that in mind, I would suggest the only auto electrician I know, that has been in the same location for many years in Earlwood - 108 Homer St (on the corner with Bayview).

However, before you do that, there is a place I have used recently and have been quite impressed.  Roselands Automotive Centre - 95 Chapel St, Roselands. (02) 9759 8870. 
You can either call them or drop in and ask for the owner - Tony.  Down to earth guy who will put his auto electrical guy on the job to look at it.  They diagnosed a battery drain issue I had and fixed the problem.  I hope that helps and keep us informed.

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

:) Thanks heaps, I will check out Roselands this afternoon. Will post updates
  • i30 Premium

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

car is booked with Tony at Roselands Automotive Centre next monday 25 March. Will advise outcome. Today of course my car is good as gold.  :confused:
  • i30 Premium

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

car is booked with Tony at Roselands Automotive Centre next Monday 25 March. Will advise outcome. Today of course my car is good as gold.  :confused:

Tony advised that all the electronics seemed to be ok and  he could not find out what the problem is without completely dismantling the doors. He had not heard of this problem before. He recommended that I go to Hyundai as they should  have more knowledge ! (I hope) He said he could install a new door lock but could not guarantee that this would fix the problem.
So, car is now booked into Suttons at Arncliffe on April 4th and i am hoping they can identify and fix it. I was advised the inspection fee is $198. Updates to follow
  • i30 Premium

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks for keeping us updated.  Sounds like a tricky one.  Hopefully there's a better outcome at Suttons.

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

:crazy1: latest update on my woes.
30 March, Car is not going again. Have been using it daily since the last NRMA visit 12 days ago.
Went to garage and it didn't start locking/unlocking, so tried the the door handle button and it unlocked normally for a change. so I thought it had decided to behave, but instead of starting up, all dashboard lights started flashing. I was able to lock it via the door button. and retried unlocking again and trying to start it up. No luck and then said key fob not recognised.. Now it seems to be dead again aargh.  :blubber:

Not due at Suttons till Thursday morning. Don’t want to call NRMA again for now. I'll call NRMA wed afternoon and if they can get it running, I'll take it straight to Suttons so they have it for early Thursday morning.
I only hope they can fix the problem or I may be looking for a new car (hope not). If I’m lucky it may only be the driver’s side door lock causing all the problems.
Meanwhile I will at least get some exercise as have to walk to a couple of appointments that I would normally drive to. (Have to look on the bright side)
Happy Easter, hope it's better for everyone else.
  • i30 Premium

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Frustrating.

Hope it works out for you on Thursday.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

Update, fixed  :happydance:
Suttons Arncliffe advised REPLACED OSF DOOR HANDLE SWITCH
 HY82661A5211 HANDLE ASSY-DR  $383.85.
Labour $1260.69  (they had told me previously that inspection fee was $198, and stripping doors down approx $800)

Total charge $1809
 Complimentary car-wash was was given.
They sent a video showing the new part and my car with a commentary that was very hard to understand due to foreign accent.

Probably could have saved on labour cost with Roselands auto electrician, but he was not sure that the door lock was the cause of the problem so was best to make sure with Hyundai.
Hopefully all's well that ends well and no more problems to come  :Good_luck:

Previously had to replace the handbrake assembly a while ago as was not releasing on start up, Used my local mechanic for that.

Will collect car shortly. Getting lift from a friend.

Have a good day everyone with no problems  :)
  • i30 Premium

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Splendid feedback - thanks. Not many would spend that much on an 11 year old car - you must really love her  :clapthanks: :KissLips:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

Splendid feedback - thanks. Not many would spend that much on an 11 year old car - you must really love her  :clapthanks: :KissLips:

Cheaper than buying a new car though. Had no choice as needed a car now and it was not driveable... not ready yet to buy another car at this point in time.  :undecided:
I'm very happy with her, very comfy seats, I needed good back support. She is my first ever automatic car. Courtesy of my age.

Only negative is the SatNav. Having to pay for updates if they were available and always a year out of date. No longer available for this model now in any case. This will not be a priority when I look for a new car. Happy using my Navman with free upgrades every few months.
One reason I chose the i30 was the full size spare, neither Toyota or Mazda were offering that at the time. Not sure if Toyota now does ? I do some regional driving and didn't want to rely on a space saver tyre.
I might start looking around. An important point will be the width of the car. I  have a small garage and currently the i30 is parked 1" from wall on passenger side and the driver's door still can't be opened fully.
My previous Toyota hatch took less space.
I think the Kona is even wider.
  • i30 Premium

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks for updating us.  Great outcome for what seems was a hugely frustrating issue over a long time. 
Don't worry too much about the expense.  You now have peace of mind.  :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal