i30 Owners Club

Hi from Launceston Tasmania

Offline kinesiologykid

• 3rd Gear
I picked up my RED SX manual diesel on Wednesday, and have been on two country drives already.
I have the full safety pack with ESP. Regular tyres and wheels.

I have driven it on dirt roads (handles great), loose gravel roads (handles okay), winding mountain roads (handles great).
Its incredible uphill!
Biggest challenge is getting used to diesel torque, made the mistake of putting my foot down going uphill around a bend and it took off!

The CD and radio are great.
The windscreen washer is cool, the way it sprays a big area, works really well.

Some SLX models already on the way have Cruise Control as standard.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi kinesiologykid welcome :mrgreen: )
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome kinesiologykid.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi kinesiologykid...That's a hell of a moniker  8-)

Another Tassie member that actually has an i30 yippee (finally)  :cry:  

Philr in Devonport and jamiec in Burnie don't drive i30's (yet)

The diesel rocks...  ;) )
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline pedro

• 2nd Gear
Hi Tassie ppl!!! (dazzling darrel you too) Was wondering if you guys could let me know of some "to do" stuff down there, im playing in the australian 8 ball championship in october/november at the country club in launcesten. Will be driving the i30 down with 4 ppl and luggage so cant wait to show the others how many servos i pass :)
Will probably be there for 10 days but not many days ill have to actually play. Already have some trout fishing planned and am just hunting for some local knowledge.

Offline kinesiologykid

• 3rd Gear
Hi Pedro,
You have to see Cataract Gorge.
It starts on the edge of town, it is the reason I chose Launceston to live (earlier this year) when I came over from Melbourne.
You could go hiking for hours if you don't mind hills!
What kind of things do you want to see?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Pedro,

I live in Devonport where the ferry docks, there are lots of things to see along the coast including The Nut at Stanley (it is a very picturesque drive across from Devonport)

Inland from the coast (about an hour from Devonport) is Cradle Mountain National Park (If you go via Sheffield and Cethana you will drive on some of the best drivers roads in the world - part of Targa Tasmania route) The CRDi will love them   :D

Also worth a drive up the West Tamar (Replica Swiss village called Grindlewald in only about 20 minutes drive north of Launceston) Put these place names in google for pictures of them...

Evandale which is about 15 minutes south of Launceston is a beautiful historic village (with a reasonable market on most Sundays)

It is hard when you live in place take a lot of the best features for granted. You will be able to access some free travel newspapers on the Spirit of Tasmania Ferry which will have a list of current events and things to do.

Hope that helps...

Offline pedro

• 2nd Gear
That helps heaps guys, thanks very much. Ive been dying to get down that way for ages and look about, my aunty ownes a mountian down there so i might check that out too. My only worry is that ill want to move down there after my holiday! Although where i am at the moment is pretty special too. This is a pic the other morning from my deck.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very nice outlook you got there Pedro.. glad to be of assistance. Reckon you will love Tassie if the weather is kind and you get out and about a bit.

Strahan on the West Coast and Coles Bay and Swansea on the East coast are also special places (But you might not have time this trip) ;)

Offline redi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Alum Cliff Gorge just west of Chudleigh makes Cataract Gorge look average. Although having said that Cataract Gorge is stunning and well worth the visit.

Offline kinesiologykid

• 3rd Gear
Quote from: "redi30"
Alum Cliff Gorge just west of Chudleigh makes Cataract Gorge look average. Although having said that Cataract Gorge is stunning and well worth the visit.

I just googled Alum cliff Gorge, and found this
http://www.discovertasmania.com/__data/ ... tWalks.pdf
It is a pdf file with lots of walks all over Tassie.
I will check it out myself in the next few months. Next trip will be Cradle Mountain to see the snow (once it stops raining).

Lake Louise might be nicer than Cataract Gorge, but I can't walk there in under 15 minutes!
It also mentions Liffey Falls, which is really pretty, its near Deloraine.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi...Are you another Tassie member... :D

Offline redi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"

Hi...Are you another Tassie member... :D

I am from Melbourne but my wife's family are from Burnie. We get over now and then. We were over there last month...I just love the place. Planning another trip next year hopefully, will come over on the boat and bring my car. Sorry it won't be the i30, the Rodeo 4WD will be more practical and we can get off the bitumen.
Wife should get the i30 later this week or early next week. Have been waiting since May 15th.

Cheers
Phil

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No worries Phil... Thanks for the heads up M8 - hope the new car works well for you both .... 8-)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal