i30 Owners Club

Interesting article about High Tech Police Vehicles (including Rego recognition)

Dazzler · 58 · 13524

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
There have been a few discussions on here about number plate recognition and other tools police are using to catch idiots.

I thought this was an interesting article worth sharing (don't think anyone has beat me to it)

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/hightech-wheels-give-drivers-blues-20130405-2hc5u.html
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
A brilliant article. There should be more of those hi-tech cop cars around this area.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That's what we've got over here.
They recently took delivery of, I think, 48 of them.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Top stuff.

Oh. But the "human rights" people will no doubt complain about "Big Brother".
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
From the article....

In a run of eight parked cars, four are unregistered or owned by unlicensed drivers

A licence isn't required to register a car...

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Top stuff.

Sorry now that you have opened the door,IMO there are far far too many soft C#*K human rights PPL around, bring on more tech to catch the(lets say for a kinder word)silly PPL
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

From the article....

In a run of eight parked cars, four are unregistered or owned by unlicensed drivers

A licence isn't required to register a car...

It means the drivers don't have a driver's licence.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

How's that, Dave?  :undecided:

It is saying that out of eight cars, four of the cars were either unregistered (no vehicle licence) or the drivers didn't have a driver's licence.
So there were four offences detected out of eight "hits."
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Guess it depends on how you read it.... :undecided:

Not really. Unregistered cars or unlicensed drivers, meaning they either don't have a driver's licence at all (never held) or are suspended/disqualified.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
But it's not an offence to own a registered car when you don't hold a licence... :undecided:

These cars where parked so unless the unlicenced person was caught in charge of the vehicle surely there is no offence?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

But it's not an offence to own a registered car when you don't hold a licence... :undecided:

These cars where parked so unless the unlicenced person was caught in charge of the vehicle surely there is no offence?

Very true.
But the system is just sending out an alert of possible offenders.
The chances are that they were driven there by the owner (so you could sit off and wait for them to move) but not necessarily so.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Good point.My mother owned a car for many many years and she never once in her life held a license,years ago when she went in to license the car in her name,when dad bought it there was a big hoo har,the PPL at licensing were convinced she didn;t have the right to a licensed car,even after all there questioning,made her more determined to have the family car in her name,I for the life of me could never understand it either,I don't think I even seen mum even sit in the driver seat,even when the car was parked
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Good point.My mother owned a car for many many years and she never once in her life held a license,years ago when she went in to license the car in her name,when dad bought it there was a big hoo har,the PPL at licensing were convinced she didn;t have the right to a licensed car,even after all there questioning,made her more determined to have the family car in her name,I for the life of me could never understand it either,I don't think I even seen mum even sit in the driver seat,even when the car was parked

Even kids should be able to own a car. Nothing to stop them.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Many pensioners who own more than one vehicle will register one in their partner's name so as to get cheap rego...  :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
or the drivers didn't have a driver's licence.

Parked so no drivers

Also,
The unlicensed owner may not be the person who drives the car.

There is a person I know who owns a car but has no license and does not drive it. 
Their son drives it with them as passenger
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 15:28:50 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Many pensioners who own more than one vehicle will register one in their partner's name so as to get cheap rego...  :D
Only allowed one cheap rego per couple even if both are pensioners.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Not in Tassie (We have a health care concession card) we get discounted rego on both cars by using both our cards..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Not in Tassie (We have a health care concession card) we get discounted rego on both cars by using both our cards..
Neither the health car cards nor the pensioners card get you more than one in Qld. Unfortunately.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sorry now that you have opened the door,IMO there are far far too many soft C#*K human rights PPL around, bring on more tech to catch the(lets say for a kinder word)silly PPL

Agreed Rick, it's not a human right to blatantly defy the law by avoiding fine payments or government fees that other law abiding citizens pay. If you get caught, double it I say.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

or the drivers didn't have a driver's licence.

Parked so no drivers

Also,
The unlicensed owner may not be the person who drives the car.

There is a person I know who owns a car but has no license and does not drive it. 
Their son drives it with them as passenger

This is what I've said.
All the system is doing is flagging that the owner of the vehicle that is parked does not have a driver's licence so is therefore an unlicensed driver.
If he drove the car there he committed an offence.
If he drives the car away he commits an offence.
If he sits in the driver's seat and puts the key into the ignition he is deemed to be in control of the vehicle and commits an offence.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The reason I bought it up originally was that, when I read that statement (In a run of eight parked cars, four are unregistered or owned by unlicensed drivers) to me, it was inferring that it was illegal to own a registered motor vehicle if you were unlicensed.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Top stuff.

Hope you're all still enthusiastic when "Big Brother" starts nabbing you for the slightest indiscretion..... :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Never been speed camera'd yet, fined when I was 17 & 22. None since.

I paid up, end of story. Basically, if you drive according to the law, it doesn't matter how many, or where the devices are.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Can you honestly say that you drive according to the law 100% of the time though, Phil?

I know I can't......

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I drive 100% to the letter of my laws  :mrgreen:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
 :lol:

This is why I laugh when people welcome "big brother"...... :whistler:

They'll soon have the smile wiped off their face and change their opinion if they end up being monitored 24/7.....

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
So much semantics and nit picking. Here's a synopsis:

Law abiding motorists can be reassured that those who flout the law will now have a better chance of getting whats coming to them.

And on "civil rights", there the concept of the common good vs individual "rights". Campaigners often conveniently overlook this in order to further an agenda. Its a touchy subject for sure but my view is lets get all those unregistered and  unroadworthy vehicles off the road for a start and the unlicensed drivers as well. And those owing fines for good measure lets suspend their licenses until the fees are paid. Muhahahaha.

In Ottawa you couldn't renew vehicle registration if you had fines outstanding and it was noted against your license as well. Damn fine idea. Ahem. Why we don't do this here I have no clue- it's not rocket science.

The sooner they can get fleets of these scum busting vehicles on the road the the better.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
:lol:

This is why I laugh when people welcome "big brother"...... :whistler:

They'll soon have the smile wiped off their face and change their opinion if they end up being monitored 24/7.....

We are monitored 24/7 already. Everything is recorded and with access to information, there is no problem reconstructing what anyone may have done at anytime in a day. Think about it, every phone call you make has a digital fingerprint, cellular calls have a geographic component that can be traced as well as the B end, photos you put on line have dates and times and increasingly geolocation info, every time you use a card to pay for something, every website you access is logged by your ISP, when you drive on toll roads your progress is tracked, CCTV in shops and public spaces monitor constantly, even something as mundane as facebook or other blogs provide information about a persons whereabouts and activities - need I go on?

There's no need to be paranoid about it. Not yet anyway.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal