i30 Owners Club

Heated seats?

Offline stochastic

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver

• talks out loud sometimes
    • My Personal Website
Has anyone without factory-installed heated seats attempted to add them to their car?  Is this an excessively expensive/intensive/stupid mod or would it be a do-able thing?
  • Elantra Touring GL

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I just did a quick google seats and a retro fit appears reasonably affordable  :happydance:

http://www.heaterseat.com/products.php

Have not had one member report doing it to their i30 so surprised to find that link so easily  :eek:
(there were others, that was just the first link...

I would have thought it would be easier to swap the seats over but apparently not...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Hey there, I think sharkracing have a retro hit heated seat bad set for sale. Requires re stitching the seat etc tho,
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
heated seats are awesome, sadly missed in my i30, the subaru had them,  brilliant on cold winter mornings!
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

heated seats are awesome, sadly missed in my i30, the subaru had them,  brilliant on cold winter mornings!
Mine has them :D Mothers doesn't :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can't see why you'd need heated seats in Canada :whistler:

Mine has them but they take oh so long to get started  :undecided:

Dazzlers link looks like a good place to start/compare...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I'd b tempted to go down the retro fit way for the mx-5 :)
saves fitting seats from the Mk2 into it :) but thats a fantasy for now.

Offline stochastic

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver

• talks out loud sometimes
    • My Personal Website
Nice one Shambles.

Thanks for all the quick replies, it's good to know it'd be a possible feature I could add.  Maybe after the wallet recovers from the holiday season I could attempt this.

At first I was thinking of getting authentic hyundai parts for this, but the more I read up, the hyundai heated seats are like trying to cook a steak with a zippo lighter.  :'(  I guess third-party after-market is the way to go.
  • Elantra Touring GL

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Mine has them but they take oh so long to get started  :undecided:

Mine had them and they were really quick, you might want to get yours checked out Steve, honestly mine were toasting my bum within 1/4 mile :goodjob: :goodjob:

ix20 doesnt have them, but then not quite so vital on cloth seats :neutral:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Mine had them and they were really quick, you might want to get yours checked out Steve, honestly mine were toasting my bum within 1/4 mile :goodjob: :goodjob:

Interesting... mine are REALLY slow warming up too... OEM heated seats, takes a good 2 - 3 miles before I get to feel any warmth & that leather gets cold in winter overnight!!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Interesting... mine are REALLY slow warming up too... OEM heated seats, takes a good 2 - 3 miles before I get to feel any warmth & that leather gets cold in winter overnight!!

+1 on that. The price you pay for leather upholstery, eh? Actually, I've often thought the seat heating system doesn't activate until the car is moving... not tried to prove that yet, and interestingly I don't notice any decrease in engine revs when I turn the heated seats on while idling  :exclaim:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

+1 on that. The price you pay for leather upholstery, eh? Actually, I've often thought the seat heating system doesn't activate until the car is moving... not tried to prove that yet, and interestingly I don't notice any decrease in engine revs when I turn the heated seats on while idling  :exclaim:

I just Googled heated seat problems Shambles & there are Posts all over the place from owners of various makes. Inconsistency seems to be the most consistent Hyundai heated seats complaint, some get  :sweating: then others are like mine / ours... I'm gonna give the relays / connectors some aggro over the Xmas period & see if I can shake mine up a bit, they get warm but not hot like others do, so I'm looking at low volatge feed somehow by my reckoning, maybe a poor relay / connection somewhere... as both seats are the same, is there just 1 relay for both seats I wonder?

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I find mine heat up rather quickly, driver and passenger side , (from what the passenger says anyways)

Actually, I've often thought the seat heating system doesn't activate until the car is moving... not tried to prove that yet, and interestingly I don't notice any decrease in engine revs when I turn the heated seats on while idling  :exclaim:

Ive found they do work when idle, obviously have the car running as i don't fancy draining the battery, but they heat up just as quick when the car is not moving :)

Even with jeans and a heavy jacket they work well :D
had a mk3 golf for a few weeks and it had heated seats, worked just as well

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

:( mine need fettling then! Mind you, its been a year or two since I really "needed" heated seats if u get my drift  :rofl:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Shall ask no more FFoxy :P

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:( mine need fettling then! Mind you, its been a year or two since I really "needed" heated seats if u get my drift  :rofl:

:question:

Oh and be careful fiddling under the seat with wires (don't set your airbags off)  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

:question:

Oh and be careful fiddling under the seat with wires (don't set your airbags off)  :sweating:
best thing disconnect battery, leave for a few mins, then start tugging lol :P anything wrapped in yellow conduit is usually air bag stuff. ,
If somebody else can confirm id b happy

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
The original heated seats in my 2008 crdi with 145000 kms on the clock works just fine. I donĀ“t have to drive more than 1 km before I can feel the heat under my butt  :D   :D

It is not that simple to take apart a seat and put in heating elements, but the worst part is to have the upholstery fitted again.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Thanks for the tips guys but well versed in airbag safety, the Fiat Stilo Mrs Ffoxy had was plagued with Airbag failure warnings for the poor connectors fitted under the seats in the 3 door version. Fiat said " it's because you keep moving the seats to let rear passengers in..."  :eek: So I dist the battery as described above & soldered the wires... no more airbag warnings!  :evil: I just jiggled the fuses & relays after a trip out for a sarnie, the seats were luke warm after a 10 minute 4 mile drive... maybe they just suck???

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Fiat said " it's because you keep moving the seats to let rear passengers in..."  :eek: So I dist the battery as described above & soldered the wires... no more airbag warnings!  :evil:

This is a que for her to get the new veloster ;)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Fiat said " it's because you keep moving the seats to let rear passengers in..."  :eek: So I dist the battery as described above & soldered the wires... no more airbag warnings!  :evil:

If ANYONE has a Veloster, between us it would be Moi! She has a Kia Picanto now... (all she deserves)  ;)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

If ANYONE has a Veloster, between us it would be Moi! She has a Kia Picanto now... (all she deserves)  ;)
Somebody is getting a lump of coal from Santa!

not even an upgrade to the i10? Top of the range style with heated seats? lol
Wee kia's arent bad wee cars

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal