Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Impolite Turnbull tweet sparks NBN backlash - Delimiter

And the same thing happens here in Brisbane as well. No ports in the exchange and so no ADSL for you. No cable in the area, only wireless which is stupidly expensive for what you get. And no NBN anytime soon either.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Couple of simple solutions as I see it.

1) Any new development must install cable etc. If TPG can do cable to a building, there must be a market in cable to a development. If it becomes more attractive for them to do any other established streets along the way so be it. To allow for payback whoever does the cable gets a monopoly on the install for a period of time (subject to a maximum price) before the asset is turned over to the NBN.
2) Allow existing developments to be changed over to cable in the same way outlined above. Developed areas with the poorest access would soon become the best. Again after a period of payback the assets would turn over to the NBN should it ever develop.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Couple of simple solutions as I see it.

1) Any new development must install cable etc. If TPG can do cable to a building, there must be a market in cable to a development. If it becomes more attractive for them to do any other established streets along the way so be it. To allow for payback whoever does the cable gets a monopoly on the install for a period of time (subject to a maximum price) before the asset is turned over to the NBN.
2) Allow existing developments to be changed over to cable in the same way outlined above. Developed areas with the poorest access would soon become the best. Again after a period of payback the assets would turn over to the NBN should it ever develop.

Unfortunately the whole issue became highly politicized. Rather than a matter of determining the best outcome for the future it turned into a pissing match at the election and is now a total farce.

The estates near us all had FTTP connected when recently built so its available here. We have cable in the street at the moment but it remains to be seen if it will ever be connected. One hopes the bs will stop soon as the impacts of the current situation to business is significant. Local businesses can't even get adsl atm and none of the providers are investing in upgrading capacity. Why would they?
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
While mowing the lawn I revised my plan..

The cable is to be laid and owned by a provider to whom the retailers pay a fee for use. Much the same way as power lines work.

Super funds love these kind of assets, so they can be sold as is or listed as companies.

No government involvement needed other than providing for areas that may not be profitable.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
We do some things very well in Oz, so how did we balls this up, so badly. Even the Poms have fibre in their homes already. NBN is now the village bicycle IMO, we're doomed. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I love my fibre. It's running at around 96Mbps downstream these days :whistler:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :censored: :kissmyass: :Rubbish: :Pout:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
:censored: :kissmyass: :Rubbish: :Pout:
Wonder if all the Moderators banded together we could ban Shambles?

Sent from my ADSL1 PC.  :fum:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'm off to adjust the server time again. I know how much he loves to reset it.   :snigger:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal