OFF GRID SOLAR

Dazzler · 19 · 2712

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I knew most of this and wasn't contemplating going off grid with our system (in the short term anyway)

This guy does know his stuff though and has a good simple way of explaining it...

:link: Off Grid Solar Systems | Should you go off grid?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Yes all well and good we before we got our system.looked into going off grid,first reason we didn't we were told by not only the Power company but also many solar installers it was illegal to go totally off grid if you had power to your area(within 500 metres) secondly the cost of the system to run our simple house hold would of taken us a minimum of 25 years use with absolutely NO maintenance(cost wise) to be viable.

But as he said if you were in the middle of no where,it would be one of your only options,you can purchase now complete of grid systems in container form,apparently takes a couple of hours to set up,unit are available up to 20kw's
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's interesting about the kits..Rick

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Illegal, that's GOT to be droppings of the cow's husband.  :disapp: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If my properties weren't all rentals, I'd have gone the solar way and given that so-called 'illegal' option a good push. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Not aware of any issues with going off grid in Qld, there more worried about you recklessly trying to replace coal power by feeding back to the grid.....

When battery cost comes down, so does the majority of the power generation industry.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bump!

I'm seriously considering a DIY Solar backup power system. Got the idea from January issue of APC magazine.

We already have Solar panels, Solar hot water and 99% LED lighting with a 1:1 fit rate until end of next year.

Unfortunately, if the grid goes down for any reason we still have a blackout.

So, my plan is to get a 200 or 250 watt 12V solar panel (~$210) a Solar regulator (~$30) a 12V inverter (from $30) and a 100AH 12V deep cycle battery (~$200 cheaper 2nd hand) plus a few other bits and build a small off grid backup system.

:link: 200 Watt 12V Solar Panel Mono 12V 200W Free Freight Insurance | eBay

:link: 150W 12V DC TO 220 240V AC Voltage CAR Truck Boat Power Inverter Converter GT | eBay

:link: 600W 1200W Peak DC 12V TO AC 240V Power Inverter Converter USB Electronic | eBay

:link: 20A 12V 24V LCD Display PWM Solar Panel Regulator Charge Controller Timer PWN | eBay

:link: Buy Century Deep Cycle Flooded Battery N70T 100Ah - Century Deep Cycle

We would use it daily to charge up Laptops phones etc and maybe the odd LED lamp or small Fan. In the event of a power blackout we would have a power point + 12V socket in the corner of our lounge to run lights etc...  :happydance:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Haven't checked your links, but when it comes to inverters, you should buy a proper sine wave inverter. Some electronic devices do NOT like the cheaper type inverters. Depending on how many blackouts you have, is it worth the additional cost. Batteries have a finite life so you'll be replacing it at some stage. Also you won't be able to power you home, just lights I guess.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Haven't checked your links, but when it comes to inverters, you should buy a proper sine wave inverter. Some electronic devices do NOT like the cheaper type inverters. Depending on how many blackouts you have, is it worth the additional cost. Batteries have a finite life so you'll be replacing it at some stage. Also you won't be able to power you home, just lights I guess.

We don't have a lot, but they are always a bit of a pain. I would run/charge as much off it as I could. I realise It may never pay for itself but still a sort of nifty idea I reckon.  :D

I'll check out a sine wave inverter..  :goodjob:

Like this? :link: 120W 600W 1200W 1500W 3000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter MAX 12V 240V USB | eBay

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I guess it depends what price you put on inconvenience?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I guess it depends what price you put on inconvenience?
True... Biggest problem is the place I want to mount the panel is a bit dangerous for me to get to, so I would have to factor that cost in to the job as well. :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
But what about the underground bunker in case of nuclear attack from North Korea?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's  next years project. At least he wouldn't  be able to force me to have a hair style like his..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I bet you wouldn't say no to his women though.     :whistler:    :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not saying...  :lol: :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Not much sun in underground bunker  :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Not much sun where the sun don't shine either.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Yes all well and good we before we got our system.looked into going off grid,first reason we didn't we were told by not only the Power company but also many solar installers it was illegal to go totally off grid if you had power to your area(within 500 metres) secondly the cost of the system to run our simple house hold would of taken us a minimum of 25 years use with absolutely NO maintenance(cost wise) to be viable.

I'd be verifying this one.

Here in Victoria the power companies are presently lobbying the state government to allow them to charge an "availability' charge for properties which "could" be connected but aren't.

A mate who lives on a farm near the coast has a 66kv line that runs past his property. Now, to get connected to that he requires an expensive transformer to connect to that line, then to have the lower voltage run run from the road about 5km away to his house.

You'd think that, OK, he wouldn't be up for it. But the proposals that he claims he read would have him pay that charge.

Presently only water companies here charge for availability and only if the water runs directly past the property (ie. a relatively minor job to connect into it). And thanfully, the water utilities are still state government owned, which means no profits (tax free, of course) are being sent off-shore to Singapore, Belgium, China and the like.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Power companies want everything their own way. Want to be able to charge you full wack for power (and even more during 'peek' times, want to be able to buy back anything you produce at a pittance (if you connected today).

They are yesterday's industry. As solar panels and batteries become better and cheaper (and people design their houses to maximise the yields).

Also as ability to manage your power use becomes more sophisticated (computers using wifi to ensure that all the yield us used and not wasted), they will be begging us to remain connected 'just in case'.

This is one of the reasons I thought selling power utilities was a good idea. They are a decline industry

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal