i30 Owners Club

JarrahBark

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
G'day all,

My i30 diesel auto is just 2,500km old and I am really starting to enjoy. There has to be some slick sales types over here on the west coast Jess cause i30's are starting to appear on every corner. Went to a small shopping centre in Meadow Springs (near Mandurah) yesterday and no less that six i30's within site of the front doors.

I am well over the hill (drivers license for 53 years) and this will probably be my last car and as a dedicated Ford owner both personally and professionally I brought the i30 with very mixed feelings. Now except that I am not really happy with the tyres (winter has arrived in Perth) this is one very good car.

Diesel consumption running at 5.8 at the moment but I am expecting that to fall as she runs in and I am no longer climbing the Jarrahdale hill six or seven times a week.

Looking forward to following and sharing your i30 adventures

Mac

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome JarrahBark,

Sounds like you may be our oldest member. There are a few potential owners who will be interested in hearing about your experiences with the Auto Diesels economy... Most of us diesel owners have Manuals. 5.8 sounds like an impressive figure for the auto.. well done. I assume you have an SX if you are not happy with the tyres? although Lakes says he has given them a few tests and finds them o/k. From my experience and others the tyres on the SLX and SR are pretty good....

Take care,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Mac,
Good to meet another from west coast. my father grew up on the west coast and has 71 years driving experience and still drives hard, has to have a driving test every year and each year they say how impressed they are with his skill. he did the round Australia RedEx trial in an old PUG.  and drove across the Nullabor when it was dirt .
i'm a Ford man myself still have my last Ford it's a V8 BA Ute i want to keep it for life. i like my i30 SX fine gets good mileage too.
what don't you like about your tyres m8? mine has steel wheels and Kumho tyres i put 36psi pressure in them they roll smooth but the 36psi is on the hard side but i like tyres that way. have not had them slip but also have not done any real wet weather driving as yet. what the problem with yours?
John ( most people call me Lakes)

Offline Mullet

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
Hi JarrahBark  you may have seen me in meadowsprings carpark as i live in that subburb and shop there . Quite a few around these parts .

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
Thanks every one for reading and replying to my intro.

First thing the tyres. I have basically spoiled myself through my million or two kilometres behind the wheel. (1.2m km logged including Falcon Taxi owner)

I find the shoes on the i30 a little noisy and they do not squeegee the road the way better quality tyres do. I am able to get the i30 to plane at about 120kmh in very wet, although relatively calm conditions. The road noise is also a little above what I would prefer.

Having said that sideways drift is negligible and I set out to try and put her into a slide without success at that speed. I was alone in the car at the time and so the load was certainly not balanced. Tyre pressure set at 34psi front and rear.

Nope have not yet spotted you at the MS shops Mullet but am still living in Jarrahdale until our unit at RAAFA is refurbished. I am only a frequent visitor to Mandurah at the moment.

The actual lt/100km is 5.02 over 2,800km. I can promise you I am not soft footed. I installed cruise control in order to keep me as honest as possible. Even so the South Western Highway and Lakes Road demand maximum effort from "Emma" on frequent overtaking maneuvers.

I have made an offer of an Excel spreadsheet on another thread for anyone wanting to keep accurate fuel consumption data on their i30's. I am very impressed considering I rolled my eyes when first being fronted with Hyundai's 4.7 claim.

Cheers everyone

Mac

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quote from: "JarrahBark"
Thanks every one for reading and replying to my intro.

I find the shoes on the i30 a little noisy and they do not squeegee the road the way better quality tyres do. I am able to get the i30 to plane at about 120kmh in very wet, although relatively calm conditions. The road noise is also a little above what I would prefer.

Having said that sideways drift is negligible and I set out to try and put her into a slide without success at that speed. I was alone in the car at the time and so the load was certainly not balanced. Tyre pressure set at 34psi front and rear.

I can promise you I am not soft footed. I installed cruise control in order to keep me as honest as possible. Even so the South Western Highway and Lakes Road demand maximum effort from "Emma" on frequent overtaking maneuvers.

I have made an offer of an Excel spreadsheet on another thread for anyone wanting to keep accurate fuel consumption data on their i30's. I am very impressed considering I rolled my eyes when first being fronted with Hyundai's 4.7 claim.

Cheers everyone

Mac

Hi again JarrahBark,

You sound like a bit of a rager for an "older gentleman"....!  

4.7 was for the manual (it was 6 for the Auto) so you're doing amazingly well...

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline Mullet

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
JarrahBark the RAAFA is just around the corner 2min walk so let me know when you move in and we can catch up .

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My 85 Y/O real dad.. lives at BULL CREEK in some RAAF facility? Is that what you guys are talkin about... :?

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
Yes Dazz. The RAAF Association (RAAFA) runs a number of retirement villages including 5 here in the west. The first village was built at Bull Creek and opened together with the RAAF Museum some years ago. Waiting lists to become residents are long and preference is given to ex-servicemen and women.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My Dad served in the RAF (WW2) and does a lot of guest speaker gigs for the Air force and such (even though he's 86 next month)

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
Link to the club from my front page now Darryl. My URL might be a bit easier to remember and communicate to other people.

Cheers

Mac

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that J-B...

Are you named after the site or is the site named after you.. quite diversified!  :D

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
More to do with our community in the Jarrah Forrest near Perth and a name that is easy to remember when telling someone the URL. Easy to remember web addresses are in very short supply these days especially names that are associated with regional locations.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal