Decision on 2012 model i30 Purchase

AlanHo · 86 · 28295

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Rather than add to the Silverstone experience thread - I decided to start a new thread to cover the road tests I have conducted with the VW Golf and Hyundai i30 cars.

I have already reported on my experience of testing the Golf 1.4T petrol and 1.6 TDi cars - here is my report on todays tests of the i30 1.4 petrol and 1.6 CRDi models.

Today I managed to drive both the new 2012 i30 petrol and diesel cars on familiar local roads and highways and I am able to make a direct comparison with the equivalent VW golf petrol and diesel cars, over the same route, regarding cabin noise. I have the opportunity to drive them again tomorrow or the following weekdays if necessary

Unfortunately –the i30 Style model (which has 16” rims) was not available for a test drive – so I drove the Active models which have 15” rims and low rolling resistance tyres. In a way this is perhaps more appropriate because the VW Golf had 15” rims too.

The cabin noise test results are shown in the following tabulation :-

The above dB readings are assessed averages of the decibel noise meter readings.
Note that an increase of 3 dB is equivalent to the sound level being doubled.

Because I was driving the cars, I relied upon the dealer’s sales guy who accompanied me to take the noise readings on my behalf – but I have no reason to doubt that they did a good honest job. They were as interested as I to see the results. Bear in mind that the decibel meter needle moves quite rapidly in response to the varying peaks and troughs of the noise spikes. Hence it is necessary to interpolate the average reading at any moment in time as being the perceived mean position of the swing of the needle. I mention this to explain that any anomalies you spot in the table could well be the result of inaccurate interpolation.

What the table shows is that the Golf and new i30 have much lower cabin noise than my i30. It also indicates that there is little to choose between the Golf and i30 – the Golf may have the edge – but only by a tiny amount. I expected to see a much bigger difference between the petrol and diesel cars based upon my own perception that the petrol cars were quieter – but the decibel meter proves otherwise. I imagine that this may indicate that my ears are more sensitive to certain wavelengths than the meter.

Whilst of interest, the sound level tests were in a way unhelpful, because I was expecting a clear winner to emerge on which I could hang my hat. Hence I need to consider other factors in deciding which car to buy.

Despite the car magazines various comments about the Golf and i30 – I consider that the i30 is every bit as good a car in terms of refinement and driving experience. It is as well finished inside and out and to me has better styling, more cabin space, a bigger boot, lighter clutch and more bells and whistles. I fail to understand why so many reviewers have mentioned that the i30’s steering is woolly at the straight ahead position – I found it as good if not better than the Golf. The diesel Golf required more steering effort throughout the range – whereas the i30’s steering increased in weight the tighter and faster you turned. In addition - in the i30 – you can select between three levels of power assistance.  My wife would take some time getting used to the Golf because of the higher steering effort required.

The Golf is undoubtedly a fine car, but whether it really is that much better than the i30 is debatable. All the car magazines have put the Golf on the top podium for years and I have little doubt that for whatever reason, that trend will continue. In any event, I don’t need to fret over detailed comparisons  because I have ruled it out on cost grounds. It is £1300 to £3100 more expensive than the Hyundai equivalents and the VW dealer’s part exchange offer was £2100 lower. Hence there are between 3000 and 5000 reasons why the Golf is out of contention.

So I am left to choose between the i30 1.4 petrol and two i30 1.6 diesel models.

The 110 PS diesel I borrowed today felt decidedly sluggish compared with my present car. It had only done about 100 miles so the engine was still tight – but I suspect that the engine has been mapped for extreme economy at the expense of grunt. The car averaged 49.7 mpg in my hands but there was not a lot of highway driving involved. I suspect 55 mpg is a realistic target. The 128 PS car I drove at Silverstone was much more lively.  Both engines are very refined for diesels and cannot be ruled out on those grounds. The 128 PS engine costs only £300 extra and despite having more power and torque equals the 110 PS engine in emissions. Hence, if I choose diesel – it will be the 128 PS engine I go for.

I was very surprised at how lively the 1.4 petrol version felt. It seemed to accelerate off the line quicker than the diesel and only lost out on accelerating at higher speeds. I was left wondering how it would feel 4 up and full of luggage. I am used to zooming past slow traffic quite quickly and feel that this might be the Achilles heel of the petrol car. It averaged 37.6 mpg during the brief time I drove it and I suspect that once the engine loosens up and more time is spent on highways, 40 mpg is a possible target. 

My wife’s take on this is that we are retired and have no need to hurtle round the country to save every precious second and risk life and limb in fast overtaking manoeuvres. She reminds me that we go on a long trip about twice a month, the rest of the time is spent on short(ish) urban driving. The petrol car costs £3,330 less than the diesel and seems smoother to drive in her opinion. She is also aware of my concerns about the high cost of repairing a DPF, a dual mass flywheel or a stuffed turbo out of warranty. She is biased though – she hates using diesel bowsers.

As I have said previously all the new i30 cars had a silky smooth gear change, nice clutch action, good all round visibility, good storage space and just felt classy. I looked for niggling things to criticise but found only one – the limitations of the trip recorder I mentioned in earlier posts.

So now for the big decision

Pause for effect ……….

I have at last made my decision. I am certainly going to order a new silver 2012 i30 Style hatch within the next few days

I just wish I could find an overwhelming reason why I should go petrol rather than diesel.

My heart says Diesel – my head says Petrol.

I will sleep on it – because it is a decision I have to get right.

Watch this space.

EDIT

Perhaps I should add that the diesel car will cost me £2506 more than the petrol in initial outlay.

Using the following assumptions :-
The ratio between the costs of diesel and petrol remains the same
The petrol car averages 40 mpg
The diesel car averages 55 mpg
Insurance for the petrol car averages £400 pa and £480 pa for the diesel
Servicing for the petrol car costs an average of £140 pa and £160 pa for the diesel
Road tax in the first 5 years costs £650 for the petrol and zero for the diesel
Road tax for the next 5 years costs £800 for the petrol and £1050 for the diesel

At the end of 5 years the total cost of ownership for the petrol car will be £900 less than the diesel
At the end of 10 years the total cost of ownership for the petrol car will be £300 more than the diesel
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:16:37 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yet another excellent summary Alan.. Go the Diesel  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Very precise assessment of the situation Alan.   When I made my choice two years ago now, time flies, I did my research which in no way compared with yours, I must say.   Ulimatly I did what made me feel good.  It worked out just fine.  I have the petrol Alan, I have in the past driven lots of diesel vehicles and have never been for or against, I have never compared them at all really.

The money saving aspect is going to be less and less for after the government encouraged everyone to buy deisel engine cars and lowered the cost of diesel as a bride, the cost of the fuel is now on the up agian and the divide is wideneing.  whilt the incease if worked in % the gap will steadily increase and the gain which was traded during the Thatcher era is rapidly disaapearing.

Which ever you choose I am sure you'll be happy.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Thanks for the post of your observations, Alan. I must say that you are a very thorough man.  :goodjob:

When I bought my i30 one year ago, I based it on the following:

1. My next door neighbour have had a 2008 i30 crdi for 3 years without any issues.
2. A friend of mine have had a 2. hand 2007 i30 crdi for 2 years without any issues.
3. I have never seen a car magazine write anything negative about the mechanical parts in the i30, maybe about the design, but who cares.
4. I could afford it.

My investigations is not nearly as thorough as yours...

I hope you will be able to make your choice without sleepless nights.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Alan, we all envy you having the ability to purchase a fine new model car.

Based on the sound readings, there's obviously been a significant improvement in sound insulation. This cancels out the Hy's previous disadvantage over other brands. I'm wondering since you have the ability to drive the cars more, if you could get an extended distance drive to test the diesel fuel economy that YOU can obtain on a typical long trip. I know the motor is new and economy is probably not there yet, but it may help.

In Oz, heat shimmer is a problem on our country roads, so it is safer to select a colour other than silver for that reason. The roof line merges with the shimmer and is dangerous at highway speeds. People still select silver here though, just thought I'd put that in.

Also, the wheel rim size may make some difference too, can you get to drive a vehicle in the configuration that you intend to purchase?

All the best with your decision,,,,,, you lucky b........    :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks for your thoughts - they are noted

I have added a footnote to my original post comparing total costs of ownership whilst you were posting yours - you might find it interesting.

The colours available are very limited - and will remain so for a year or more.

The aqua blue is awful, the steel grey possibly too dark, I don't like white cars and I would be forever having to clean a black car.  Hence silver is in the frame but I am going to look at a steel grey car tomorrow to check it out.

Silver cars are not a problem here - quite the opposite - dark colours are the problem in our dismal doom and gloom. Especially in Manchester - eh Steve?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
we could have ourselves a motoring writer with Alan ho,brilliant post Alan.  :mrgreen: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
in reply to 84's post....I'm sure if Alan went it to a dealer and heavily showed an interest in buying a 2012 i30 pending a looooong road test,they would say yes.  :idea: remember that money talks.  :twisted: :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I wouldn't go grey either. I own a silver / grey Holden (Dove Grey) is their name for it, the car was 2nd hand so I had no choice. It can be a very depressing colour in winter as everything is grey in the hills I live in. It has not weathered our sun terribly well either. My wife's purchase of the red I30, although not a colour I would have chosen, compensates beautifully on dull days in our driveway.

If you like the silver and as it's not a problem over there, then it would be silver for me too.  :goodjob2:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
2i30's,

I think it is a learning experience for the dealership too. What customer brings a Db meter to test a car. No wonder the salesman was intrigued.

I don't think Alan will have any time to drive his new car, with all the articles to write and cars to sell in his new job at the dealership.  :mrgreen:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

if you could get an extended distance drive to test the diesel fuel economy that YOU can obtain on a typical long trip. I know the motor is new and economy is probably not there yet, but it may help.

Also, the wheel rim size may make some difference too, can you get to drive a vehicle in the configuration that you intend to purchase?

All the best with your decision,,,,,, you lucky b........    :D

I think it would be too big an ask to borrow a car for at least two days to get enough mileage in on an assortment of roads, hills etc for the consumption to be valid. I am reasonable confident that the diesel car will average 55 mpg - Hyundai are adamant that it is 15% better than the previous model and I am getting nearly 49 mpg out of mine.

The petrol car is another matter - I don't really have a benchmark. Bumpkin has the same engine in his ix20 and gets around 40 mpg - I got 37.6 mpg on this road test so I think a guesstimate of 40 mpg is achievable. The dealership think I am being pessimistic - one of their salesmen is getting 44 mpg out of his old i30 1.4 petrol.

I drove the Style with 16" rims at Silverstone and took some sound readings there. It's not a perfect comparison but I am confident that the car is much quieter than mine and I am willing to stand by that. They cannot get their mits on a Style car for demo purposes for a few months and I don't want to wait any longer.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Brilliant comparison Alan.
And I'm really pleased with the results of the db meter too - it appears that Hyundai have addressed that issue which is great.
Good luck with your decision. (I think I know which one you will choose)  :))
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Follow your heart, Alan.... :goodjob2:

Hang the expense, you might as well enjoy what time you have left to the fullest.... :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

In other words, get what your wife will be happiest in. :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

In other words, get what your wife will be happiest in. :happydance:

You are trying to confuse me - my head says Petrol - my heart says diesel.

My other head (the wife) prefers petrol - she hates diesel bowsers and thinks the petrol car was "smoother" (it wasn't)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Like I said a few posts ago, I think I know which way you'll go.
If you'd like to know before you know, let me know and I'll let you know, if you know what I mean.
Maybe I should write it down on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope, otherwise when I say I was right you'll accuse me of cheating.  :)

I propose a vote on what he'll decide, that is open to everyone else and locked to Alan.
That way, after he decides he'll know whether he was right or wrong.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Like I said a few posts ago, I think I know which way you'll go.
If you'd like to know before you know, let me know and I'll let you know, if you know what I mean.
Maybe I should write it down on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope, otherwise when I say I was right you'll accuse me of cheating.  :)

I propose a vote on what he'll decide, that is open to everyone else and locked to Alan.
That way, after he decides he'll know whether he was right or wrong.

I know you know what Alan doesn't know, but there may be others who know like you, what Alan doesn't know, so why not have a poll.  :question:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, let's.
I think that what I said?  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Sorry, you've already suggested that, I didn't see it.  :-[

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Sorry, you've already suggested that, I didn't see it.  :-[

No worries, it must be a good idea because we both thought of it.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :goodjob2:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Don't do it lads - it might influence my decision when I see you all voting for the diesel....... :mrgreen:

Do you really want it on your conscience that your hasty actions in the interest of self satisfaction and group entertainment resulted in me making a decision that I regret for the rest of my limited number of days................. :blubber:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

But can it be done?
I don't know how.
I propose the question to be kept simple, such as:

When AlanHo buys his new i30, will he buy -     (a) petrol      (b) diesel     (c) don't know

But we'd need to be able to block access to Alan (sorry Alan) to make it fair, then we can tell him later if he made the right choice.  :goodjob2:

Make sense?

Sorry Alan, I posted this while you were posting your last one
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well yes actually, it makes up for your message at the bottom of your posts.  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The only way I know is for each of you to PM your vote to a nominated worthy and trusted member of the forum to keep score.

We could first organise a poll to determine whether this is a good idea or not.

If that vote said it was a good idea - then organise a second poll to determine who is to keep the score from  a list of volunteers

Once the result is announced you could then organise another poll to determine whether you thought the count of votes was fair and honest

You could then compare your results with my decision which would have been announced here before you got through the first poll.

Hang on - I suspect there is something odd about all this - can we organise a poll to see whether you agree.......................... :winker:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Before any of that, I think we need a more general poll: Are polls a good idea?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Before any of that, I think we need a more general poll: Are polls a good idea?

:whsaid:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The only way I know is for each of you to PM your vote to a nominated worthy and trusted member of the forum to keep score.

I'll volunteer... :happydance: (to choose a worthy and trusted Member) :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'll volunteer... :happydance: (to choose a worthy and trusted Member) :goodjob:

I think you'd do nicely Dazz :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal