i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30, Elantra recalled for power-steering fix

pidim · 63 · 18866

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi everyone, I just saw this article. Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere and whether it affects anyone

:link: Hyundai i30, Elantra recalled for power-steering fix

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
They got the dates wrong!
Mine was built 2012 and has just been repaired under new car warranty for exactly that.
Mine has EPS.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I wonder if I'll get a contact?
Mine was registered on 3rd Nov. 2009.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

You've had no problems with yours though, have you?
My car is so, so much better to drive now.
It's driving better than a new one.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Be interesting to see how many with probs on here were built outside those dates (Like Dave's) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

True.  But the recall story talks about the possibility of failure, which has been documented on here before. I reckon that's a different issue to your intermittent pullling problem.
Both dangerous of course but probably different causes given the different recall dates.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

True.  But the recall story talks about the possibility of failure, which has been documented on here before. I reckon that's a different issue to your intermittent pullling problem.
Both dangerous of course but probably different causes given the different recall dates.

Not sure about that.
Mine only tracked off centre once the power steering unit lost its assistance.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Not sure about that.
Mine only tracked off centre once the power steering unit lost its assistance.  :undecided:
Yeah. I understand that.
But the reports I'm referring to were total failures of the power steering. Either fixable (temporarily) by turning the car off then on again. Or by the dealer.
Having said that, I'm sure Hyundai must realise there's something inherently wrong in the design of its power steering. All models. And I'd be surprised if it isn't appearing in other models in the range. We just hear less about them on here.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Not sure about that.
Yeah. I understand that.
But the reports I'm referring to were total failures of the power steering. Either fixable (temporarily) by turning the car off then on again. Or by the dealer.
Having said that, I'm sure Hyundai must realise there's something inherently wrong in the design of its power steering. All models. And I'd be surprised if it isn't appearing in other models in the range. We just hear less about them on here.

In the past, as I've posted on here, mine has temporarily fixed itself by turning the engine off and disconnecting the battery.
I think that Hyundai is fully aware of all the problems but is being slow in responding.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
O, oh. :exclaim:  :Pout: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Be interesting to see how many with probs on here were built outside those dates (Like Dave's) :cool:

We can +1 that count -  mine is outside of the VIN range (also outside the dates of sale range) but had a failed 'MDPS' (to use the recall notice term) or EPS (as it is more commonly known) with steering column replacement to fix it.

I wonder if the ranges will get expanded at some-point.   Of course, even if it did happen, I might not get contacted as it was already replaced.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
FYI here is the Recall Notice on the Gov't website...

:link: Hyundai?Hyundai Elantra (HD) & i30 (FD) MDPS

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp

Uk recall

Launch date 13/04/2015

Recall number R/2015/056 .

HYUNDAI I30 FDe

steering assistance may be lost

Vin start TMADC81SMAJ019026

Vin end TMADC51SLBJ130189

Build start  02/11/2009 

Build end 30/04/2010
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search.asp

Uk recall

Launch date 13/04/2015

Recall number R/2015/056 .

HYUNDAI I30 FDe

steering assistance may be lost

Vin start TMADC81SMAJ019026

Vin end TMADC51SLBJ130189

Build start  02/11/2009 

Build end 30/04/2010

I see that describes a bit more of how the system works - and the reason it will go into that mode.   Though not necessarily the actual cause of the discrepancy.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
So how I had missed this topic by George about the US recall for apparently the same issue - :link: Hyundai recalls 200,000 vehicles for power steering defect

However I had seen the 'Moose test' video posted by Johnno in reply to the above topic :link: Hyundai i30 Power Steering Failure Surfaces During Moose Test - Video - autoevolution - which also appears to be the same type of 'MDPS' stops assisting issue... but in a GD  :exclaim:   Would be a right bummer to avoid an obstacle, just to crash anyway because the car became virtually un-steerable mid maneuver.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

True! It appears to be the i30's biggest potential weak spot, followed by Auto transmission failures.

Shame really as overall the i30 still appears to be one of the most reliable and best loved cars in its sector.  :cool:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
True! It appears to be the i30's biggest potential weak spot, followed by Auto transmission failures.

Hmm... my auto can sometimes 'thump'/'serge' between changes - affecting the motion of the car.  Seems especially likely to happen a few minutes after starting and going up a hill.

And occasionally when I put my foot down it can rev quite high... not sure if it is because it changed way down, or if that is an issue.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
So far so good with my 09 i30 - built in June ... Strange they haven't mentioned anything about detecting a faulty batch of eps units... Wonder if this could be opened up to a recall across the platform
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Hyundai, like every other car manufacturer, will only recall vehicles as an absolute last resort and will be dragged kicking and screaming to do so, because of the huge cost to the company.
If they can restrict the numbers needing to be recalled they will do it and this may be what they have done for starters.
The good news that I have to report is that once fixed, it's great. I now enjoy driving my car at freeway speeds whereas before it was unpredictably dangerous.
And that is where Hyundai would need to be careful. If there was ever a fatality/multiple fatality that could be traced back to their failure to recall vehicles that it knew might have a problem, the resultant lawsuit would be huge.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hmm... my auto can sometimes 'thump'/'serge' between changes - affecting the motion of the car.  Seems especially likely to happen a few minutes after starting and going up a hill.

And occasionally when I put my foot down it can rev quite high... not sure if it is because it changed way down, or if that is an issue.

The main "Valve body?" issue with the Auto trans seems to start with the gears being slow to select (particularly reverse)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :offtopic: :backontopic:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Phil №❶ try to resist applying the above post to my next one.... just a warning!  :P

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
So my auto got worse - thumps more, revs up while changing certain gears, etc. so booked it in for warranty assessment...

So I arrived, two items are printed on the work sheet - first being the auto... (with a W in another column)

Second was something like 'Heavy Power Steering Repair' (with a R or T, don't remember, next to it - I assume Recall or Technical) - the guy said so we are doing foo (item 1) and blah (item 2) - I was like... Oh, you guys replaced the EPS/steering column at the start of the year.

The answer I got was 'Ah yes we did, but there is a recall on the steering - we have to check it, a software update has come out to be applied and sometimes the unit needs replacing.' - I acted as if I didn't know about the recall, acted semi-surprised but mentioned I knew about one happening in the UK from a mate there who owns an i30 receiving a letter may months ago.   I didn't pick up if the check was only to determine if unit replacement was needed, or if it was in regards to then need to update as well.

The interesting note about this is - my i30 doesn't fall into the VIN or Date range given on the recall notice (on the govt website).   Of course there are a couple of explanations for that.   However I suspect it is more likely Hyundai is just being cautious (probably will do it to all with the assembly). EDIT: Turns out it does - only certain VIN digits matter.

Would be interesting to know if other FD owners get this check next time they have a service - apparently I got the update per worksheet notes.  Don't have it in a statement yet - as the other issue was assessed and further work (pending an OK & parts) needs completion.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 04:21:53 by ibrokeit »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I wonder how long it will be before I get notified by Hyundai about this recall...  :undecided:

Thankfully I'm yet to experience any issue with the steering in my i30 so far...touch wood!  :victory:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I wonder how long it will be before I get notified by Hyundai about this recall...  :undecided:

Thankfully I'm yet to experience any issue with the steering in my i30 so far...touch wood!  :victory:

Will be interesting to see - I remember the brake pedal/switch one (doesn't appear to have been formal - i.e. no govt notice) for i30 - got a letter a week or so after a service... telling me I needed it checked (turned out it was already done at the service).

So I wonder if that will be the case - notification; or if it will just be done the next time a vehicle is seen for a service - except those covered by the formal recall.

Touch wood?  Always... oh ummm...  knock knock knock :head_butt:   The icon doesn't quite fit (rotating finger side of head at start) but was a close as I could get.    Hmm... we don't seem to have icon for touching wood... nor one for knocking on it where the wood is our head  :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hmm... we don't seem to have icon for touching wood
Whats this :Knock:  :wink:

and this in banners...

:Touch:

or you could have used these...  :fingers: :Good_luck:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Well that is touching wood - but not touching wood... that is knocking wood... umm knocking on wood (but not someones/your own head).

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

and this in banners...

:Touch:

Missed that - certainly fits.

or you could have used these...  :fingers: :Good_luck:
Not quite the same as knocking on ones head three times for 'Knock on Wood' :)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Gareth, since you seem to have a wooden head :snigger: then possibly this might be fitting :headbang:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal