Trip around Oz i30 crdi

tweety · 87 · 30169

Offline Trazza

• 2nd Gear
  • Trazza

• au Australia
      East coast of Australia

• My i30 is my significant other 💓
Hi Tweety,  Trazza here.  I was interested in how your trip around Oz is progressing?!  Having to work my life away for 'the man', I can only be a voyuer for another 15 years. Hope you're having a great time!   :D :happydance:
  • 2015 i30 Active X (Gen2) 5Dr hatch, 1.8L petrol, 6speed man

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Enjoy your trip and speaking of dog's,My dog trailer is bigger than your Van  :rofl: but I would want to sleep in it  :lol:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :offtopic:

Nice to see you back, are you ok, mate ?
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
:offtopic:

Nice to see you back, are you ok, mate ?
Sort of,I haven't been far away.  :goodjob2:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
Economy figures are in.

Two fills from Euroa Vic to taree NSW.

1st fill, cruise used 105kph. No wind. 10.1 L/100 km

2nd fill 95-98kph  8.5 L/100 kms.

Full to the brim each time. Cheers.
  • i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the update Tony. Hope the trip is going well.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hey, just curious, what speeds are allowed in OZ when towing..?

Here we're restricted to 70 km/h out of town and 80 on motorways.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Hey, just curious, what speeds are allowed in OZ when towing..?

Here we're restricted to 70 km/h out of town and 80 on motorways.
I thought it was 90km/h here in Western Australia but this says different :link: State by state: Tow vehicle and trailer speed limits | Without A Hitch

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
Thanks for that info.

Third fill up at Reedy Creek /Robina area Qld.  8.4 L/100kms near what I got last time.

The run then on was good roads to Peachester near Beerwah inland from the Sunshine coast. Departing for Roma Thursday. Reckon the next fill up will be even more economical as it was all a good highway, a slight gusty tail wind and slipstreaming trucks sitting on 95 kph. Hoping under 8 L/100kms At this rate $1800 to tour Oz coastline is not out of the question....towing a van!!

Cheapest diesel was 94c a litre at Sydney. Common is $1.16

• i30 crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :weneedpics:  :mrgreen:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
sounds like your going well.
I would think food bill would be higher than fuel?
how are Tyres going?
good luck with trip.
a mate & wife took two years to do the trip they loved it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Re State Speed Limits...

From link:
Tasmania

There’s more of a blanket rule in Tasmania. The maximum speed limit when towing a trailer or caravan in Tasmania is 90km per hour, regardless of trailer weight. Note that the maximum allowable speed limit on motorways and highways in Tasmania is 100km per hour.

I'd suggest downloading each State's road rules just to be sure as, having spent a lot of time in Tasmania recently, I know that the maximum speed limit stated for Tasmania in that article is incorrect, it is in fact 110kph.
I also failed to find anything in the road laws about there being a 90kph speed limit for trailers/caravans...  :undecided:

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
I'm back.

firstly my laptop stopped working around Roma. Might have been the waves of bitumen we experienced for around 600 kms. Terrible roads that caused the drawbar on our homebuilt van to fracture.

So nice fella with no warning welded it up at Tambo. Then a few hundred kms to Cloncurry near Mt Isa and it broke, not badly enough that we couldn't limp into town. Professional welders fixed it permanently. It just wont break now!!

Hence no pics here this time.

The i30 diesel has been getting 8.5-9.2 L/100km. Cruising at 95-100kph. In comparison our friends from the Sunshine coast get 13-16 L/100kms with their 3 litre Toyota coaster 2001 vintage which is also good.

The starting issue previously mentioned where it is difficult to start when hot and in hot weather seems to have stopped, not entirely but mostly. I find that if I change keys it helps, and if I start it but let go of the key immediately it turns over it will start ok. don't know why.

With the NT speed limit of 130 kph I've had a run along some highways at around that or a little more (:)) and the car is stable as with its new Yokohama tyres. They are a little louder than the Michelins I had on her but I got 4 for 3 offer.

Well that's all. In Darwin as we speak for a week. Diesel $1.16 here at Barkly Homestead it was $1.65
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:10:37 by tweety »
  • i30 crdi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm back.

firstly my laptop stopped working around Roma. Might have been the waves of bitumen we experienced for around 600 kms. Terrible roads that caused the drawbar on our homebuilt van to fracture.

So nice fella with no warning welded it up at Tambo. Then a few hundred kms to Cloncurry near Mt Isa and it broke, not badly enough that we couldn't limp into town. Professional welders fixed it permanently. /It just wont break now!!

Hence no pics here this time.

The i30 diesel has been getting 8.5-9.2 L/100km. Cruising at 95-100kph. In comparison our friends from the Sunshine coast get 13-16 L/100kms with their 3 litre Toyota coaster 2001 vintage which is also good.

The starting issue previously mentioned where it is difficult to start when hot and in hot weather seems to have stopped, not entirely but mostly. I find that if I change keys it helps, and if I start it but let go of the key immediately it turns over it will start ok. don't know why.

With the NT speed limit of 130 kph I've had a run along some highways at around that or a little more (:)) and the car is stable as with its new Yokohama tyres. They are a little louder than the Michelins I had on her but I got 4 for one offer.

Well that's all. In Darwin as we speak for a week. Diesel $116 here at Barkly Homestead it was $1.65
I guess you mean $1.16 not $116.  :faint:
When we went through Barkly Homestead a couple of years ago ULP was over $2.00/ litre.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update Tony. Gee, I like the sound of that 4 for 1 tyre deal!  :happydance:

Glad your trip is going well. I would love a big road trip but too many commitments back at the ranch.  :undecided:

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
All edited lol

I like the trip regardless of our issues. We also bought another car online while we travelled. A JBA Falcon convertible kit car that was built in 2001. Its in transit from Townsville to Euroa as we speak. Google images shows it, down a few lines to a beige one with black guards and red interior.

Darwin is a nice place. But we will not be coming back. The muggy weather isn't for us.
  • i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This one I guess?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/JBA-Falcon-2001/SSE-AD-3277589/

Nice!

Yeah, I was in Darwin in February a few years back ... Phew!!!!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Actually, you're not in the wet season. Experience that and you'll know a bout humidity. September to March, I believe.  :eek:

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
Yes Dazzler that's the one.

V6 Buick engine 5 speed. Needs a taller diff and soft top but not bad condition. Its actually a 4 seater 2+2

Yep Phil, we deliberately chose this period to holiday up here. We are about 4 week too early but 33-34 degrees every day is ok, just a little humid for us.

We found that the 5th speed doesn't seem to be labouring the gearbox any with the weight we are towing. We drop down to 4th under 80kph but it seems happy otherwise. The Yokohama tyres seem ok. Might do a rotate soon but not in this weather lol
  • i30 crdi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I did a tyre rotation on my daughter's Accent in the carpark at Dripstone Cliffs in Casuarina a suburb of Darwin in October.  Humidity plus, then halfway through it rained.  :crazy1:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
Left Katherine today...58 kns later towards Timber Creek battery light +alt) comes on. As luck would have it we limped 300 metres into a free roadside stop.

Under. Bonnet the accessory rubber external belt had shreaed. Engine oil was all over that area. Looks like a front engine e seal behind the harmonic balancer let go.

We got RACV to get us a tow truck back to Katherine. Waiting for the diagnosis.

I'm disappointed in our travelling friends as they were way ahead if us. What's the point if travelling together if you aren't going to keep an eye in tour mate?.  There was no phone reception.
  • i30 crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Bugger  :exclaim:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Hope it's not serious.
You might need to invest in a couple of long range CB radios between you.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:

Sorry to hear that Tony.  :fingers: for an affordable fix.

My Stepson used to live in Katherine (shame he's not still there...)  :whistler:

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
Diagnosis is blown crank front seal, easily accessible and of course the belt. Belt was in Katherine but seal has to come from Melbourne but is quick....should be on the road by Thursday arvo.    Could be much worse.   Racv total care was worth it....paid for towing. Organised everything.
  • i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good to hear..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :whsaid:

Offline tweety

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Strathbogie, Vic
OK update

Picked up the i30 this morning and within 8 kms started a tucking noise. Noticed the new accessory belt had frayed on one side. Returned car.

The diagnosis is one of these....faulty new belt......somehow it wasn't correctly installed .....a rock or similar item had been lodged in a pulley track and caused damage, that it was not detected when all pulleys were cleaned.

All pulleys this arvo were inspected again. All good. Aircon friction on compressor was checked. There us a bees dick of movement in the tensioner pulley not to cause an issue ( it has dine 315,000 km).

They will installed a new belt from Darwin in the morning and I am buying a second belt just in case.

My gut feeling is the new belt was a little narrow allowing it not to glide within the pulley confines and therefore move about.

But what would I know lol.
  • i30 crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I hope your luck changes soon.  :(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Lucky you weren't further out of town!  :sweating:

Hope things get sorted properly this time.  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal