i30 Owners Club

Map of Tassie

CraigB · 17 · 17042

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thought the title would spark your curiosity and attract attention :snigger: sorry that there is only some clips of our trip around Tasmania (finally) :)

First stop where Dazz and Trish drove us to was Cataract Gorge

Then a look over Launceston from Grindelwald lookout on a cold and cloudy day

Our arrival at the Hotel Bailey, very nice :goodjob2: gave it a glowing review on Trip Adviser :D

The next days drive with Dazz and Trish and a picture from Table Cape looking back at the coastline we've just followed.

Looking out over the bay and the landmark feature they call the Nut in the town of Stanley, ignore my shadow in the foreground :rolleyes:

First day driving ourselves where we stopped at the quirky town of Sheffield (Town of murals) where they have hundreds of murals painted on shop walls and the towns park centre display.

Then on to Strahan where we took the Gordon River cruise on the newly commissioned 7 million dollar Harbour Master with it's 4 twin turbo Scania V8's pumping out 3200hp :cool:

Light house as we passed through Hells Gates heading out into the rough seas before we loop around and head back up river.

Stopped off at the old penal colony of Sarah island, quite a harsh place if you ended up here for your crimes where prisoners had the task of building boats and being repeatedly lashed with the cat of nine tails.
Bay where the boats used to be built and slipped into the water.

The magistrates house which ended up being given to the prisoners.

On to Cradle Mountain which was cold and cloudy which made it quite difficult to get a decent photo of the mountain.
Overlooking Dove lake with Cradle in the distance behind clouds.

The clouds cleared for just a moment allowing a brief glimpse of the mountain.

A Wallaby that was munching away as we walking around on some of the trails on the mountain, pictures a bit grainy at full zoom as didn't want to get close and scare him/her away.

Hobart was the next stop, looking out of our room with Mount Wellington in the distance.

Me on top of Mount Wellington with Hobart city in the background

Not sure what building this was but was all lit up for the Dark Mofo festival and looked nice with the reflection on the water.

Took a day drive out to Port Arthur to visit another historic site, the Port Arthur convict site which was commissioned after Sarah island was shut down.
Port Arthur though harsh would have been a holiday resort compared to Sarah island.

On to the east coast and now in Swansea with a view out of our balcony over Coles bay with Freycinet national park in the background.

A evening walk on the beach before dinner.

Climbed up to the lookout in Freycinet park with a view over Wineglass bay.

A view off the southern end of Freycinet from the light house.

Looking out to the Nuggets where the Australian fur seals are currently breeding, there were also some Humpback whales swimming behind the Nuggets but to far out to photograph.

Me collecting some shells in Coles Bay and trying not to slip on the rocks and fall in, the weather was absolutely beautiful and sunny though water was a bit cold for my liking :cold:

One of the local Kookaburras having a rest on the grass just as we walked up from the bay.

Cruised up to the town of Bicheno after doing Freycinet for a quick snack and to grab a pic of the blowholes.

Heading further up the east coast to Launceston today from Swansea so stopped off in St Helens for breakfast and took a drive out to beautiful Binalong Bay.

We're now in Launceston, can look over the renowned city park out of our rooms window.

From Launceston we did a day drive out to George town for breakfast then continued a little further out to see Low Head Lighthouse.

Walked down to the point behind the lighthouse to see Penguins but they must of had the day off as none were to be seen unfortunately so got a pic looking out over the Bass Straight with a new weather front approaching.

Last day was leaving Launceston and heading back to drop the Mitsubishi ASX off at Europcar Devonport where we met up again with Dazz to spend the last night back at Hotel Bailey before Dazz and Trish dropped us off at the airport the next morning.

Overall it was a lovely visit to Tassie and it had so many scenic destinations yet we still didn't get to see all of it after 2200km's of driving.
A very big thanks to Dazz and Trish who welcomed us into their home and graciously hosted us over the first and last few days and drove us to many beautiful locations, it was very much appreciated :hatoff:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great post Craig! You did a great job of seeing a nice mix of stuff on your visit. Was a pleasure having you guys stay. You were so lucky with the weather considering it was mid winter! About 5 degrees cooler now with lots of frosts! :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Great post Craig! You did a great job of seeing a nice mix of stuff on your visit. Was a pleasure having you guys stay. You were so lucky with the weather considering it was mid winter! About 5 degrees cooler now with lots of frosts! :eek:
Yeah we had great weather all round, even the rain in Strahan wasn't a problem.
I was watching a live video yesterday of some Tassie Devils playing in the snow at Cradle Mountain and wished I could have been there with them in the snow :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Looks like you pretty much followed our route in 2013.
It's a wonderful place.
Somewhere in the forum annals should be a record of our trip. We had an Outlander.
Highlights were the boat trip up the east coast of the Tasman Peninsula and the walk with my daughter around Dove Lake which started in snow, then rain then sunshine, each repeated twice. Like you we only had a small window of opportunity to catch Cradle Mountain in the clear.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looks like you pretty much followed our route in 2013.
It's a wonderful place.
Somewhere in the forum annals should be a record of our trip. We had an Outlander.
Highlights were the boat trip up the east coast of the Tasman Peninsula and the walk with my daughter around Dove Lake which started in snow, then rain then sunshine, each repeated twice. Like you we only had a small window of opportunity to catch Cradle Mountain in the clear.
I'll have to go check them out :goodjob2:

We would have done the walk around Dove lake but too many tourists so only did the walk around to the rock on the left which you can stand on to take photos overlooking the lake, ended up walking off to the right over the top of Lake Lilla and down to Wombat pools and up to the Pencil Pine falls and the new board walk through the Lican forest, then a day later after leaving Strahan heading to Hobart we did the other side and stopped at Lake St Clair.

Took quite a few photos when we did the Huon valley as well with Hastings cave and thermal springs and the Tahune air walk through the tree tops but Kamini is in most of the photos and doesn't want posting on the forum.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 13:28:56 by CraigB »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
We did the Huon Valley too including up the shot tower. Also stayed two nights in Bicheno which has to be about my favourite place in Tassie. Stayed in a cabin. I see which the penguins spent the night fighting. Awesome.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Good picture's Trev :goodjob: hadn't even heard of the shot tower before, the wombats pic's are cool...I love em :) sadly between the Wombats - Wallaby's and Possums all over the roads around Tassie I couldn't work out how they had any wild life left :confused: so much road kill :(

One creature they could do with getting rid of is the Lyrebird, they were imported years ago from Victory because they thought they were going to become extinct and have thrived in the Huon forests causing a lot of damage and stopping the forest undergrowth from growing as they scratch around like chickens ruining the forest floor.

I asked the local ranger why they don't trap them and ship them off to a zoo or something if they're such a pest, he said the government has made them a protected invasive species :head_butt:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Great selection of pictures.

Looked on the cooler side.
What was temp?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

What was temp?

Temps were averaging 12c except at Cradle mountain and Mt Wellington where it was 6c, we got out of there just in time as the temperature has dropped dramatically and they're getting snow now.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

What was temp?

Temps were averaging 12c except at Cradle mountain and Mt Wellington where it was 6c, we got out of there just in time as the temperature has dropped dramatically and they're getting snow now.
Ahh
Typical uk summer

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Very impressive. I must try and get there one day soon :goodjob2:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very impressive. I must try and get there one day soon :goodjob2:

I'll put the kettle on.. :D

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
We did Tassie over Chrissy & New Year in a 2 week blitz back in 85/86.
Will be going again in the future for sure.  👍👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Geez, I better mow the neighbour's grass!  :mrgreen:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
airb&b start up Dazz  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal