i30 Owners Club

Transmission valve issue

AdlRol · 12 · 5022

Offline AdlRol

• 1st Gear
My 2010 built/2011 registered i30 CW Trophy (61,000km on the clock) has recently had a issue with over-revving during gear changes and has been slow to respond at start up. This was investigated and some software upgrades done on the engine and transmission management systems. The problem continued and further investigation by Hyundai service staff, with the recommendation being that the “transmission valve body” be replaced - at my cost!

A bit of searching around led me to this site and to a number of similar posts and a comment that this seems to be an issue with the 2010/2011 models. I'd appreciate any advice from members who have had a similar experience and would love to hear how successful they were in getting the issue resolved with or without charge.

• 2011 i30cw Trophy Sedan, Petrol, Auto,

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I had the valve body replaced on my 2011 Fd diesel with only a few thousand k's on the clock.

It is a common known issue and should be fixed for free under warranty (even though it may have expired).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wlcome01: AdlRol

I am going out shortly but if nobody else has responded when I return I'll find some thread links to post here.

You may have to make noises at Hyundai Australia or try several Hyundai Dealerships if in an area with choices.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@AdlRol

Here's a thread where two had it fixed under warranty.. Some Ammunition for you.

:link: i30 auto trans a bit notchy on cold start

and another...

:link: Faulty valve body

Offline AdlRol

• 1st Gear
Thanks for the threads.
Hyundai have come back and said that "as your vehicle has experienced the concern outside of the warranty period ... Hyundai Motor Company Australia is unable to meet your request to provide assistance with the costs of repairs to your vehicle".
It is a extremely disappointing response from them given all that I have read on here about other owners experiencing similar issues, and the suggestion that its a "known fault".
It's a 5 yo car with 60,000km on the clock and not at all what I'd expect from a car of its age and mileage.
I'd welcome any advice on how to proceed.
  • 2011 i30cw Trophy Sedan, Petrol, Auto,

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Give the ACCC a call.

It has not lasted the expected time frame, and is a known issue so they should replace it.

They will need to be dragged kicking and screaming, but in the end they will offer a 'goodwill gesture' if pushed hard enough.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:

Have you told them or referred them to threads on here like the ones I supplied.

Threaten to escalate the matter to the ACCC and Facebook.

If you make enough noise (although you shouldn't have to) they should capitulate.

Even try Hyundai Head Office in Korea.

P.S. It seems to depend on whether the Dealer goes in to bat for you or not.

Offline minhI30-crdi

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
How did you go in the end, I have similar issue ... refer to my post, my done 114K, Hyundai Customer don't Care ignored my request.
  • I30 CRDI MY2011

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Unfortunately, often when new members join with an issue, they don't come back with a result.

Either that or Hyundai have fixed it as a 'good will gesture' with some clauses around disclosure.

The advice above still stands. It is a known issue, and should probably have been subject to a recall.

Contact the good people at the ACCC and get advice.

Offline minhI30-crdi

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Was the car still under 5 years manufacture warranty ?? was the valve body replaced under warranty. Mine is 7 months out of warranty I am not the first owner, I have been fighting with Hyundai Australia through Hyundai Customer Care ( should be called Hyundai Customer don't care ) for weeks now, they have been ignoring my request to repair the issue at their cost. It is a common problem with the valve body need some how to prove it though, Hyundai will never admit it !!
  • I30 CRDI MY2011

Offline minhI30-crdi

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I had similar issue, please refer to my post. If we get enough Hyundai with similar problem we should be able to start class action against Hyundai.
  • I30 CRDI MY2011

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Have you spoken with the ACCC?

It is all very well to start a class action, but given most have been replaced under warranty, who is going to fund it?  This will also circle the lawyers and take a long time.

Speak to the ACCC and get advice. Often their intervention and advice will cause a 'Good will' gesture on behalf of the manafacturer.

If that fails, write to various media car people and see if that gets you anywhere, again, this can often generate a 'goodwill' gesture.

Remember 'get stuffed' is the default response from all car manufacturers the second the warranty expires (even those with 3 years/100,000k), it works for them a fair percentage of the time. You will need to be the squeeky wheel to get the greese.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal