i30 Owners Club

Surferdude Deserts the fold as Dazzler Returns (Updated Reply #16)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Subtitled “I Didn’t Make the 100,000 Club”

Yesterday, I exchanged my beloved 2009 i30 for a 2014 Corolla Ascent Sport Hatch. By doing so, I avoided having to do any more diagnostic work.  :whistler:

Ostensibly I have some similar but MUCH LESS serious mobility issues to Dazz, for different reasons. I have had a certain amount of lower back problems since my early 20’s although the last 30 years there has been nothing more than the occasional muscular ache if I over exert myself physically. But a year or so ago, I was having trouble getting down into the seat without causing quite severe pain in my thighs. This could be due to the back issues or my Peripheral Sensory Neuropathy. In any case, a few rounds of physiotherapy made it manageable. In the same period, I noticed it was much easier to access my wife’s Corolla.
None of which should be taken as a criticism of the driving position or the seating in the i30. That was fantastic. I was as comfortable driving that as in any other car I’ve had.

So, I did a bit of sleuthing on carsales.com and found a very nice 2013 Corolla (same colour as my wife’s) but it went before I could get off my bum and take some action. Then a blue 2014 model turned up at the local dealer where we bought Claire’s and I swore I wouldn’t go back there. Just a bit pushy but I did get a good deal. The downer was them trying to sell us window tinting and when I got our regular guy in to do it, he showed me where they had removed the tint which was already on the car.

Anyhow, I liked the look of the car which comes with factory 16” alloys, reversing camera, leather steering wheel and gear knob, plus bonnet and headlight protectors and weather shields on all the windows.

Turned out it was the personal car of one of their senior service advisors. Toyota like most manufacturers, has this leasing type deal where employees can buy vehicles at a special price plus guaranteed trade in figure after 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. When the 4 years were up the guy couldn’t afford the buy out price so elected to buy a new car (same model and colour in fact).

Oh. And it’s tinted, including that darker thing they do on the back side windows.
 
So, picked it up yesterday. They transferred the personalised plates for me at the main roads as well as arranging the transfer of my pensioner discount rego.

Haven’t gone far yet but it’s nice to drive.

First Impressions.

Even though the roof line is lower than my wife’s car (previous model), the seating access appears to be the same so I’m happy with that. There is more side support for your thighs than in my Hoondai, maybe these are “Sport” seats. A little less length in the seat itself, but seemingly a little extra support at the front makes this a moot point.

Leather steering wheel feels great. I’d forgotten just how good these feel, having had a full leather interior in my company Liberty back in 2004-2006. The controls are nicely to hand; sound system volume, mode and station changes, plus blue tooth phone answering on the right.
The instrument cluster is interesting. I can’t remember to last time I didn’t have twin, equal diameter dials for speedo and tacho. This has a large central dial for the speedo and a smaller tacho on the left. I’ll get used to it. After all, it’s engine noise which determines when to change up anyway.

No electric mirrors which is odd, given my wife’s older, basic model has manually operated electric mirrors. But I didn’t have them on the i30 anyway.

The central dash vents are substantially larger than any I’ve had before.

The CC is a bit retrograde – a stalk out from the steering column just between the wheel and the dash. Not uncommon, but the i30 controls were on the steering wheel which I prefer. However, the phone control is where they would be.

It’s only a small thing but they’ve picked up on Hyundai’s two shopping bag hooks in the boot.
On the way home from the dealers I stopped in at the local locksmith and had a surf key cut (just a metal blank, no transponder). Goes around my neck under my wetsuit or rashie while the proper key is secreted in the car.

I’ve ordered  a set of Rola roof racks from the local SUP/ Sailboard shop who seem to be the only agents nearby except for Supercheap Autos. I had started there but when I asked for help I was pointed down one wall to help myself. The way they have it set up, you put your vehicle details into a touch screen selector and it tells you which parts you need. There are three apparently according to this Brainiac. You then search through the stock on the shelves to find what you need. So, you’re then adding prices together in your head. I left and came home and checked on line which is where I found the local SUP shop. Minimum of fuss, ordered and deposit paid in 5 minutes, Due in Tuesday and they’ll fit them for me which I don’t need but will happily let them do.

Just realised I still have the three Hoondai rear headrests in the garage. I used to take them out so it was easier to put the back seats down flat. I’ll drop them in on Monday.

Claire and I will take off into the Sunshine Coast hinterland on Sunday. Drive report to follow.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 00:40:26 by Surferdude »
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
What's next? Emigration to NSW?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I actually spent 15 years working and living down there.  :crazy1:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
 :goodjob:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It looks the real deal Trev - :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Well, if you have to, I suppose  :Pout:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks good Trev, I like the colour. Would have been happy enough to get my new car in that colour if available. Very similar to Trish's!

What sort of mileage has it done? I couldn't see where you had said. Looks like new!

Congrats, always fun to score a new set of wheels.  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Looks good Trev, I like the colour. Would have been happy enough to get my new car in that colour if available. Very similar to Trish's!

What sort of mileage has it done? I couldn't see where you had said. Looks like new!

Congrats, always fun to score a new set of wheels.  :victory:
It's got 115,000 on the clock Dazz. As you say, looks like new.  It actually still has a remnant of that new car smell which surprised me. I reckon he did a few long distance trips to get that figure up. Couldn't do it with local running.

Oh. And FWIW, the AM reception is excellent.   I mostly listen to a local fm station but also like an am one in  Brisbane which I haven't been able to receive without static for ages.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ironically,  in the upgrade between my wife's model and this one, they went  to EPS.  :whistler:
But I knew that before I looked at it.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ive gone full circle on colour. My Renaults were blue and all my rally cars were blue.
I like blue (except the NSW rugby league team.  :fum:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Many k's of carefree motoring
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm down to about 10,000 a year now,  so should last  forever.
Although the plan is to consolidate into a one car family in about 5 years.
Then the Kona, CHR or CX3 will come into play.
Incidentally, I was watching a promo on the CHR at the dealer. It's called the CHR Koba.  :crazy1:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Congrats on the new wheels, Trev. I like that color  :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm down to about 10,000 a year now,  so should last  forever.
Although the plan is to consolidate into a one car family in about 5 years.
Then the Kona, CHR or CX3 will come into play.
Incidentally, I was watching a promo on the CHR at the dealer. It's called the CHR Koba.  :crazy1:
Yeah that's the top of the range. They look good with a black roof. I get your drift. Very similar to Hyundai's up coming SUV name...

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Yesterday, I exchanged my beloved 2009 i30 for a 2014 Corolla Ascent Sport Hatch. By doing so, I avoided having to do any more diagnostic work.  :whistler:

Cool!  :cool:  :goodjob2:   :goodjob:

Looks very similar to an European Auris, but probably does not come from Burnaston UK like ours do. Great color too! At next week I'll get my rear windows tinted by a guy my workmate recommended, so let's hope it'll be good job.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
A few Driving Observations

The i30 second gear notchiness is gone. I suspect the i30 had a slightly less long throw between gears. It gave very quick changes if you were hurrying. My initial impression is that the Corolla is slightly smoother. It also has a higher clutch take-up point.
Doesn’t take a lot of getting used to the 6 speed over the 5 speed box. 6th is really an open road option but the little 1.8 litre engine is surprisingly tractable. In 6th at 60kph it’s pulling just 1500 rpm. From which point it will accelerate away, smoothly and with a minimum of fuss.

We took a Sunday drive up into  the Sunshine Coast hinterland from Landsborough to Maleny and on to Kenilworth and then to Imbil. Back to the highway not far south of Gympie. Nice lunch in a Kenilworth bakery Dazz and Trish would recognize. Picked up some cheese and yoghurt from the Kenilworth Cheese Factory.

Not long after we left home I realised I wasn’t comfortable in the driving position. Thought about it for a while then pulled over and moved the steering wheel forward (forgot about that option). From there on it was fine. There’s more shoulder support than in the i30. I’m not sure if this is a feature of the model or just this “Sport” version.

Did I mention I like the leather steering wheel?

There’s a softer ride than in the i30 (not necessarily a good thing) but not really a problem. Also I haven’t checked the tyre pressures. The two rear Yokohamas are due for replacement. (Done yesterday. Fitted 2 Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance ($125 each but don’t tell anyone). I’ve left them on the rear so the front Yokos can wear out more quickly and then two more Goodyears will go on.

You can turn of the lighting in the head unit and, unlike the i30, it stays off when you adjust the volume or restart the car.

Did a trip to Brisbane yesterday to get the tyres and the onboard computer which I zeroed before we came home was hovering between 5.9 and 6.2 l/100k. I reckon it’ll be good for a bit less than 8 overall. My i30 ended up at 8.2 from the time I got it till it went. (from fuel purchase figures).

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Pity it doesn't have a leather steering wheel though.   :mrgreen:
  • Tertius the i30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Doggie, what is it with your attraction to leather?????????????????  :crazy1:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

And whips.
  • Tertius the i30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

And whips.
I'll bet you've still got your handcuffs too.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

And whips.
I'll bet you've still got your handcuffs too.
And my short baton.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I didn't realise it was a manual Trev. Good move! When I've rented CVT Corollas I've been getting under 7 by my calculation. Got another lined up for July trip to WA. They are quite good on fuel.  :goodjob:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I didn't realise it was a manual Trev. Good move! When I've rented CVT Corollas I've been getting under 7 by my calculation. Got another lined up for July trip to WA. They are quite good on fuel.  :goodjob:
It'll be a cold day in hell before I willingly buy an auto of any kind, Dazz.
Or...............when Claire and I consolidate into one vehicle.  :crazy1: :spitty:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
As I posted elsewhere, my fuel consumption in this car is low enough that the fuel savings will pretty much pay for each service.

More specifically, last Wednesday I drove to the southern end of the Gold Coast to surf with friends. It's around 200 klms each way with mostly highway driving, combined with heavy traffic on the Gateway Motorway which bypasses the Brisbane CBD to the east but is being upgraded so about 20 or so klms each way in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Plus driving around the southern end of the Gold Coast in 60 zones.
By the time I was about a half hour from home, the on board computer was reading 5.3 l/100 klms.
My Excel spreadsheet since purchase is reading around 6.1 for just over 3,000 klms.

So, I'm pretty happy.

The headlights are a bit low. I've only found one adjusting screw but I'm sure there'll be a second somewhere. When I locate that, I'll have a fiddle with the adjustment.
Probably the only thing I miss is the HALO.
There's no TALO!  :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very impressive Trevor.  Glad you are happy! :goodjob: No luck googling or checking you tube for Corolla head light adjustment?

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Very impressive Trevor.  Glad you are happy! :goodjob: No luck googling or checking you tube for Corolla head light adjustment?
I will, when I get a round tuit.
😇

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Car sounds great Trev and I love the blue.  :goodjob2: I know what you mean about getting in and out of the i30, I find it quite difficult with my my back problems.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Car sounds great Trev and I love the blue.  :goodjob2: I know what you mean about getting in and out of the i30, I find it quite difficult with my my back problems.
Ironically my daughter who is only 38, has similar problems with her Accent. She has sciatica and lower back pain.
Just not long bought a unit so, a vehicle change might be a little way off.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal