Possible uneven Tyre wear on higher mileage i30 Diesels

Dazzler · 111 · 42111

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have started this thread in the hope that any diesel owners on their 2nd or subsequent set of tyres that are suffering uneven or premature tyre wear (particularly at the front) will post their observations here.

It appears there may be a tendancy for this to happen with the diesel models but it is certainly not conclusive at this stage. Hopefully this thread may clarify it further... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good idea, Dazz.
Can I suggest we hear from owners of cars with the original set still on as well, if they have any concerns on tyre wear. And maybe, if you 've already posted about it, you could either recap or update us in this thread.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
2010 60 reg with 12,500 miles, front tyres wont reach 14,000 miles, there hankook optimo 415.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
OK, a quick recap (excuse the pun).
Original tyres did 68,000 kms, all four replaced, no problems.
Second set wearing unevenly at the front (on the insides) noted at the 90,000 km service.
They were then rotated to the rear, four-wheel alignment done (which they said was spot on, no adjustment necessary), and are now wearing evenly but the fronts are again starting to wear the insides.
The tyre place owner suggested that it's possibly the weight of the diesel causing front suspension wear and that he had heard that from other tyre fitters too regarding the diesel i30.
I run 36 psi.
The car has now done 106,000 kms, = 38,000 kms on the second set (also Kumho).
Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dave (that is the sort of info we need)  :goodjob:

Sooty... Are they wear unevenly, are we talking all four tyres (that is only about 20,000kms I think?) on the first set ?? :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
We have 2 I30 diesels. Both bought this year 2nd hand from dealer.

1 (Lila) has 50,000k & new Pirelli tyres on. the other (Ruby) had 18,500 AND THE FRONT TYRES WERE STUFFED.

I have replaced them and been thinking that some illegitimate must have swapped them b4 trading the car. I will be horrified if this is not the case. They were the original Hankooks. The rears are fine, almost like new.

Both cars are in great condition and am happy with them in all other aspects (except road noise).

Don't know how the car was driven b4. Because of the increased torque of the diesel it is possible to wear the tyres easier than a petrol, but 18500 ks. We drive conservatively, so it will be interesting to see how this set of fronts go.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, that's interesting.
I drive conservatively too & was happy with 68,000 kms but wouldn't be happy with those kms on yours.
The rear tyres on mine when the fronts had started to wear also looked like new still, so with mine, it's definitely the front where the issue is.
I don't want to hijack the thread so apologies for slightly off-topic, but may I ask how you find the Pirellis noise-wise?
Thanks.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
db08

About the same, but better grip, I feel.  :neutral:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yes, that's interesting.
I drive conservatively too & was happy with 68,000 kms but wouldn't be happy with those kms on yours.
The rear tyres on mine when the fronts had started to wear also looked like new still, so with mine, it's definitely the front where the issue is.
I don't want to hijack the thread so apologies for slightly off-topic, but may I ask how you find the Pirellis noise-wise?
Thanks.

db08, Apart from the rapid wear on the front of the i30 diesels, it is normal fro front tyres on front wheel drive cars to wear more rapidly than those on the rear - depending on the car, between two and tree times more rapidly. I think the issue here relates to uneven wear (on the inside shoulders??) on the front.

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
@ dazzler, tyres are wearing evenly, just the fronts affected, car mainly does long runs.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, that's interesting.
Thanks.

db08, Apart from the rapid wear on the front of the i30 diesels, it is normal fro front tyres on front wheel drive cars to wear more rapidly than those on the rear - depending on the car, between two and tree times more rapidly. I think the issue here relates to uneven wear (on the inside shoulders??) on the front.

I agree, as the power is delivered to the front I'd expect those tyres to wear more quickly, but as you say, it's the uneven wear that's the issue.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Is it uneven wear or premature wear as it says in the 1st entry.  :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I have started this thread in the hope that any diesel owners on their 2nd or subsequent set of tyres that are suffering uneven or premature tyre wear (particularly at the front) will post their observations here.

It appears there may be a tendancy for this to happen with the diesel models but it is certainly not conclusive at this stage. Hopefully this thread may clarify it further... :cool:

Both, as Dazz said on his thread, but I think they are related.

Dave
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Rogmur

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West London

• Our i30 With no one else around
Well I am so glad that I am not the only i30 owner (1.6 CRDi Premium Shine Red who is concerend about the uneven front tyre wear.
I have the 17inch Alloys running on Hankook Tyres (225/45 R17).
We have only covered 11, 345 Miles and I am concerned about the front tyres too as they are wearing on the outer tread.

I wonder if the ESP has any effect on this ? (just a thought).

Trouble is where on earth can I find a reliable and careful Tyre shop who will not damage our alloys or the body work when the tyres do need changing.

Kindest regards

Rogmur

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
my first car 08 CRDi 70,000k on first set, i still have second set of the SLX rims with Michelin Tyres 27,000k on them will put them on the new i30 CRDi, new car has almost 10,000k tyres look like new. but i keep tyres inflated  first car i used to run 40psi latter dropped to 37psi & i rotate tyres.
i think with the Diesel having a lot more Torque to thrust you forward & the front wheels are the drive wheels it just stands to reason if you drive hard they will brake traction. if you run lower Tyre Pressure the tyre's will run at higher temps & wear more. the front tyres are under more stress driving the car steering the car & supporting the stronger heavier more duerable Diesel motor so do not run your front tyres at under inflated tyre pressure or they most cirtainly will wear more as they will get a lot hotter. i always feel the tyres to see how warm they feel after an hour or so drive. cooler tyres last longer.

if you want to see a front tyre wear problem, get a Toyota Hi Ace Van ( any model ) those vans wear tyres out on the front uneven at at a high rate. i had a V8 1 tonne falcon ute that i always got 110,000k from the four tyres & carried loads on it. but the Hi Ace van same brand tyre same type load will wear out the front tyres uneaven before it gets to 30,000k & the falcon was heavier with heaps more power & Torque. but i don't care as i don't pay for that. if you drive a truck with under inflated tyre & a load you will wear them out in no time & one truck tyre costs more than a full set of i30 tyres.

now i'll ask the people that get high uneaven tyre wear what pressure they run there tyres @ ? how often do they check tyre pressure? @ how many k's do they rotate there tyres @?
also note my first CRDi was SX with 15" steel wheels i did the first 15,000k on them then picked up like new SLX 16" did the rest on them to 70,000k then fitted the michelin sport that i still have and still have plenty of mear after 27,000k the new car has the stock SLX 16" wheels & tyres. if you go up to 17" or 18" or more i would expect higher tyre wear as hi performance tyres are not made for high mileage or high k's just grip & performance.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 20:04:42 by Lakes »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't know how the car was driven b4. Because of the increased torque of the diesel it is possible to wear the tyres easier than a petrol, but 18500 ks. We drive conservatively, so it will be interesting to see how this set of fronts go.  :(

I would make sure they get rotated every 10,000 at the most.. I have always rotated mine regularly and in 26 cars including an i30 CRDi I have never had any issues with uneven Tyre wear.. Although when I was younger I only used to get around 30K out of a set..  :mrgreen:  I drive less aggressively these days and get nearly twice that now.. :happydance:

I only did about 12K I think on my 2nd set in our CRDi before I traded it on the Hybrid but didn't notice an issue at that stage.  :cool:

P.S. Thanks John .. very interesting. That reminds me my Brother in Kingscliff NSW reckons his VW EOS is eating tyres way to quickly but not sure if wearing unevenly .. I must get some more info and run it by Trev (via PM) for some help ...Sorry for the off topic (but it illustrates i30 not the only car to have such issues)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)

I would make sure they get rotated every 10,000 at the most.. I have always rotated mine regularly and in 26 cars including an i30 CRDi I have never had any issues with uneven Tyre wear.. Although when I was younger I only used to get around 30K out of a set..  :mrgreen:  I drive less aggressively these days and get nearly twice that now.. :happydance:

I do the same thing every time I change the tires seasonly, I use the plastic tags to mark the position the wheel had been placed in a preceding season.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well written John (Lakes).
And it's not just the Hi Ace van which is at fault. Pretty much any "people mover" style van is guily of it too.
Graham Scudamore-Smith from Fulcrum Suspensions explained it to me years ago that these vans are designed as work vans and as such the suspension is designed for a range of movement under an expected load.
When you run them around as a people or parcel carrier the suspension is pretty much sitting up at the top end of its travel, hence particularly excessive outside shoulder wear, accentuated by high body induced roll and roundabouts.

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
My tyre experiences are detailed in my (little read but I think quite interesting) 'Early Days But So Far So Good' post in the Testimonials section of this forum. When the original front Hankooks were replaced at 38,000 miles it was suggested that the extra wear on the inner shoulders could be caused by the Power Assisted Steering. I have my doubts about that though as my previous cars also had PAS (albeit hydraulic rather than electric) and their front tyres wore evenly. Also, I perform relatively few low speed manoeuvres and try to have the road wheels rotating when turning the steering wheel. I think this uneven wear on the inner shoulders does come down to wheel alignment and I will probably experiment with having the toe-in adjusted when my next front tyres are fitted.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My tyre experiences are detailed in my (little read but I think quite interesting) 'Early Days But So Far So Good' post in the Testimonials section of this forum. When the original front Hankooks were replaced at 38,000 miles it was suggested that the extra wear on the inner shoulders could be caused by the Power Assisted Steering. I have my doubts about that though as my previous cars also had PAS (albeit hydraulic rather than electric) and their front tyres wore evenly. Also, I perform relatively few low speed manoeuvres and try to have the road wheels rotating when turning the steering wheel. I think this uneven wear on the inner shoulders does come down to wheel alignment and I will probably experiment with having the toe-in adjusted when my next front tyres are fitted.

You are quite right marti.
Powere steering shouldn't affect the inside shoulders.
It can effect the outside shoulders under certain circumstances awing to the ease with which front wheels can be turned. This sometimes tends to distort the tyres, concentrating load on the outside shoulders - roundabouts for instane - and the left front (in RHD countries) cops the brunt of it.

Offline SteenP

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
My I30 crdi has covered 116xxx km's and I'm second owner on it.
I've got no idea about the mileage on the tyres, but both my 16 inch alloys(original equipment) and the original steel rims(winter tyres) are badly worn on the inside of the front tyres.

It's going to the garage monday for a steering alignment. I'm hoping that will do the trick.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Surferdude, is the fact that more and more CRDi owners are reporting inside wear on their tyres indicative of a significant pattern. In your experience with other models of cars and shoulder tyre wear, do you tend to see an even mix of inside and outside shoulder wear, therefore if we're only seeing inside wear, it more likely indicates a design problem with the car.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Surferdude, is the fact that more and more CRDi owners are reporting inside wear on their tyres indicative of a significant pattern. In your experience with other models of cars and shoulder tyre wear, do you tend to see an even mix of inside and outside shoulder wear, therefore if we're only seeing inside wear, it more likely indicates a design problem with the car.

Hi con,
The answer probably lies in further responses to this topic.

I don't have enough information to give any kind of worthwhile answer yet, however my experience is that both inside and outside shoulder wear is probably the single most prevalent ongoing and recurring mechanical issue in cars today and has been for the last 30 odd years I've been involved in the automotive industry.

And, to date, I've not seen any evidence of a serious mechanical design fault causing inside shoulder wear.
My gut feeling is that, even if the suspension has sagged with age due to the excess(?) weight (which is pretty minimal, really), then any halfway decent wheel aligner would be able to make an adjustment to counter it.

To just say that the wear is caused by the suspension sagging is to say they aren't a capable aligner.

In short, if the inside shoulders are wearing, the alignment MUST be out of adjustment.
Also, if the suspension was soft enough to cause this, the car would be darting and diving all over the road on anything less than a perfectly even surface.

Anyone who's had a Holden Commodore with IRS and towed something reasonably heavy will have experienced inside shoulder wear on the back tyres due to sagged suspension. Suspension companies have always been able to rectify it pretty easily.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I suspect that most people get their wheel alignment done when they get their tyres. This is a problem in most occasions as I suspect the big places regard the wheel alignment as profit, hence are not overly keen on doing an excellent job.

I got new tyres and a wheel alignment after having issues once and had a service the next day, the mechanic noted a problem in the front suspension and fixed it. When I called the tyre place a major tyre place who may start with Bob. They said that their wheel aligners wern't qualified to diagnose suspension problems so wouldn't have noticed the problem.

If they cannot look at a cars suspension and diagnose what is causing the wheel alignment problem, how can they do even a remotely decent job? How many other vehicles have been taken for a wheel alignment and got one of these bozos who only know how to read a computer and turn a few bolts, rather than having the ability to recognise the issues that caused the problem and how is this effecting the I30?

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^

Good point beerman.
"Bob" has always refused to let his franchises do mechanical repairs, so i guess that's how you end up with button pushers.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What about the effect of tyre pressure.

I read that under/over psi can contribute to how the car handles and can sometimes be a major factor in an accident and reported so by accident investigators.

There have been posting on this and other sites that some owners are running their tyres with more psi than manufactures recommend.

Surely by running at a psi not recommended must contribute to tyre wear - inside/outside shoulders, centre etc....

I've had my car for over 4 years, OK only 23K miles, keep the psi to that recommended and my tyres are not showing any sign of adverse wear and I've not required a wheel alignment.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
I changed the tyres on my i30 (2011 diesel i30cw) last week (I put winter tyres on). I clocked 26.000 km on the tyres and I cannot see any uneven tyre wear between the front and the back pair. The front tyres are slightly more worn (which is completely normal), but the difference is really minute.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 21:06:06 by neoto »

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my wife's cw has still got the original tyres on it and has done 35,000kms,they only look half worn.  :goodjob2: :goodjob: I'm fanatical about the tyre pressures and wheel alignments on both our cw and my hatch.  :mrgreen: I'm on my second set of tyres on my hatch and I'm dead sure its because of my driving and not alignment or tyre pressures.  :idea: the wife drives like a new licence holder and i drive like a maniac [as she would put it]  :lol:  if you have a good alignment and tyre pressures,rotate the tyres front to back every 5,000kms you shouldn't have a problem IMO. but if you are still scrubbing tyres out prematurely there must be a contributing factor.  :idea:  and don't use the Hyundai recommended alignment specs,they will cause your tyres to scrub out and need changing way to early in their life.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lune

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Pinjarra, Western Australia
now at ~67000 kkm and tyres are showing normal wear, still got plenty left and i drive like a maniac :P 42 psi on all 4, makes the ride a bit noisy though :P

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal