i30 Owners Club

Toyo Tyre try out

Offline AKAdventure

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newtown, NSW, Australia
A few posts ago I was describing a vibration coming from the wheels. Turns out it was a tyre with a flat spot.

Thus I needed to purchase 2 tyres to get me from Adelaide to Sydney and thus get me home. (Visiting the relatives for Christmas)

I went to Tyrepower in Mile End and the owner put me onto some Toyo TEO plus tyres. WOW what a difference. The tyres are quiet and smooth. They sit well on the road and are vastly better that then Hankook original tyres. ($320 the pair)

Also, they are made of Silica, so should last well. I will let you know how they go later on.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi AKA,
Be good to get some feedback on the Toyos. They are a genuinely good tyre.
Looking forward to hearing more.
BTW, a slight technicality. They aren't "made of silica". They actually just have a certain % of silica added to the tread rubber in the manufacturing process.
The end result is the same. Better grip and longer life.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
running a hankook tyre your car it must be an slx,i thought only the kumho tyre on the sx was the noisier tyre.  :disapp:  well it sounds like your on to a good thing with the toyo tyres.  :mrgreen: i fitted some kenda tyres to my hatch a little while back that were very quiet,but after only a few thousand kms became very noisy.  :faint: :disapp:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
running a hankook tyre your car it must be an slx,i thought only the kumho tyre on the sx was the noisier tyre.  :disapp:  well it sounds like your on to a good thing with the toyo tyres.  :mrgreen: i fitted some kenda tyres to my hatch a little while back that were very quiet,but after only a few thousand kms became very noisy.  :faint: :disapp:

Damn Steve, you shoulda asked me. We used to import Kendas. They had that problem 5 years ago, seems it's still there. :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Can Steve Complain and get anything done about it Trev? As in exchange for another brand with Pro-Rata or something  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Can Steve Complain and get anything done about it Trev? As in exchange for another brand with Pro-Rata or something  :undecided:
i thought about that,but I'll get someting like a toyo possibly next time.  :idea: :winker:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
No. They'll just find some slightly uneven wear somewhere and reckon that's the cause. They seem to hang ona nd wear pretty well, just seem to get noisy. It has a lot to do with the shoulder tread pattern in most cases. Some are more susceptible to slight wear which promotes noise.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the tread on my tyres does come a fair way on to the side walls,the tyres are brilliant all bar the noise.  :wacko: :lol:

Offline stkman

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland, NZ

• 2008 1.6 cRDi manual Elite in Stone Black
Search for "TOYO" and you will come across a post I put up a while back ... I'm running TOYO TEO PLUS and am up to 45,000km on a set. Reckon I will get more than the 60,000km I got out of the Hankooks. I am finding them to be a much superior tyre to the original tyres ... sort of half way between the standard tyres and true high performance (read expensive) tyres.

Andrew
  • 2008 1.6 manual diesel Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update Andrew :goodjob: (you are covering some ground)  :eek:

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I really want to change my tyres!! I have 23500km on my car and the tyres have about 30% left or so.... at a guess.  I want to change mine to quiet, better grip ones as the current ones are noisy and have had bad reviews (the standard Kumho ones).  Thinking what i should get...
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I am happy with the Goodyear Excellence I have recently put on the Hybrid (I am sure you would get them in a size to fit the i30 they are quiet and economical (low rolling resistance with Silica in them) otherwise Continental would be worth a look from posts on here, quiet but not sure about wear rates (do a search for Continental)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I really want to change my tyres!! I have 23500km on my car and the tyres have about 30% left or so.... at a guess.  I want to change mine to quiet, better grip ones as the current ones are noisy and have had bad reviews (the standard Kumho ones).  Thinking what i should get...

What size are they bryan? And do you have Hankooks or Kumhos?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
He has Kumhos, Trev....or so he says in his post.... :p

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have changed to Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres - they as as quiet as you will get.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I have changed to Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres - they as as quiet as you will get.

Alan, do you have these tyres in the U.K.?
They're Continental Premium Contact 5 and they're being advertised as newly introduced?
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/au/en/continental/tyres/themes/car-tyres/compact-class-tyres/comfort-contact-5/comfort-contact-5.html
  • Tertius the i30

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

They're Continental Premium Contact 5 and they're being advertised as newly introduced?
http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/au/en/continental/tyres/themes/car-tyres/compact-class-tyres/comfort-contact-5/comfort-contact-5.html
I think Alan ruled them out on the advice of the tyre dealer who said they weren't as quiet.

Online AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Before deciding on the new tyres I contacted the technical departments of several tyre brands including Continental. None or them can or will give you any cabin noise decibel data for comparisons so comparing between brands is next to impossible. However - from various sources (including our own legendary tyre guru) - I was sure that the Conti tyres were as quiet as I could get.

I expected the Conti contact 5 to be even better than the contact 2 - but their tech people told me that the contact 5 had been developed to enhance extreme wet grip, eco and tyre life and was not as quiet as the contact 2.  They were quite adamant - if cabin noise is your priority the contact 2 is the way to go but tyre life will be about 10% less that the contact 5.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The reason I asked about the size on bryan's car is because. if they are 15", the Duraplus comes into play as an option. It'd be interesting to compare prices between it and the Conti.
And, I am reliably informed that later this month there'll be a specific advert for Duraplus through the Goodyear Autocare outlets, combining with an announcement on an extra guarantee which might be worth considering.
Details to follow in the Duraplus topic.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)

Surferdude. I have the Kumho tyres.... 195/65R15. Standard wheels with the car...
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Comparing the same brand, size and tread type of tyre from different parts of the world could be misleading as different tread compounds may be used to suit local conditions.  It is claimed the Michelin  even use a different tread compound within France,  one to suit the warmer south and another, more suited to colder regions, in the north and east.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Comparing the same brand, size and tread type of tyre from different parts of the world could be misleading as different tread compounds may be used to suit local conditions.  It is claimed the Michelin  even use a different tread compound within France,  one to suit the warmer south and another, more suited to colder regions, in the north and east.

:goodjob2: Very good point baradeur (we tend to forget we are an international forum)

Driver perceptions come into it too. We put some Goodyear Tyres on an N15 Pulsar a few years ago (Eco5 I think they were) and I found them fine but the Wife who drove that car most of the time didn't like how they felt at all  :disapp:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Ok. If you can, just hang off till the end of May because the Duraplus may be worth a looksee. I can't fault them TBH, but I've also had experience with the Conti 2's and agree with Alan regarding their effectiveness.
And, as this topic attests, the Toyo Teo is pretty good, too.
Surferdude. I have the Kumho tyres.... 195/65R15. Standard wheels with the car...

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Very true and made even more complex by the fact that they also make tyres in SE Asia and Brazil (plus the US but I don't think they get exported) whereas the ones from the other two areas do.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
[

Very true and made even more complex by the fact that they also make tyres in SE Asia and Brazil (plus the US but I don't think they get exported) whereas the ones from the other two areas do.

Some of the German brand  4 x 4s made in the USA and sold in Europe have American Michelin tyres! 

Michelin also owns the BFGoodrich, Kleber, Riken, Kormoran and Uniroyal (in North America)

Things are never what they may seem to be.

I have a list of virtually all the tyre manufacturing plants in the world with their ID codes

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
[

Some of the German brand  4 x 4s made in the USA and sold in Europe have American Michelin tyres! 

Michelin also owns the BFGoodrich, Kleber, Riken, Kormoran and Uniroyal (in North America)

Things are never what they may seem to be.

I have a list of virtually all the tyre manufacturing plants in the world with their ID codes

Spliiting hairs?
I was referring to Michelin as they were the brand mentioned. And my reference was to Michelin tyres being made in North America and shipped overseas for sale loose. It rarely happens and if it does is generally done by a large dealer chain in the US who needs to buy to meet his rebate levels. So he ships a few containers overseas.
This is not just a Michelin thing BTW.
And yes I have access to that list and other similar ones too.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal