Spare wheel well

baroudeur · 47 · 16032

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^^
And, you DO NOT want to have to get the spare out of that carrier and replace the damaged tyre on the side of the road.
It's difficult enough on 4WD with it's extra ground clearance. On a small(ish) Hatch, it would be a bloody nightmare.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Thanks for those photos too Tony  :goodjob: but do you think there really would be enough ground clearance under the i30 to do that (even with plastic cover removed)  :confused:
I definitely wouldn't, especially with the tow bar removed and lowered suspension, could do more damage than welcomed
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I can't see the authorities allowing that modification at all. In fact it could be very dangerous. If the tyre were to get caught at speed on a projection in the road, there could be loss of control, destruction of the frame and the tyre ripping from the vehicle presenting a danger to other road users. Vehicles with underslung spares have flat floors which allows space for the spare to be located on the outside. That recess in the boot is there for a purpose.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Agreed with what's said above, even a space saver would be too low. What of 3 passengers are in the back ad a full load to te boot, and the i30 naturally sits lower

Offline stochastic

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver

• talks out loud sometimes
    • My Personal Website
I like the idea of putting it under the car (I think the cw/Touring has more ground clearance back there) but I do agree that should there ever be an accident I'd hate to hear what the insurance company tells me  :scared: nevermind what damage it could possible do to others.  I think the next idea is either under a seat (maybe the driver if there's room) or on the interior roof with a nice cloth cover (directly above where it currently sits).
  • Elantra Touring GL

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I think the next idea is either under a seat (maybe the driver if there's room) I dont think so  :Shocked: or on the interior roof with a nice cloth cover (directly above where it currently sits).Will block rear vision to a dangerous extend .. just had a look at Trish's CW

Sorry if I sound like a party pooper but I think a tube of puncture repairer is about your only option... :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
What's the width of the space saver  wheel?....
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline stochastic

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver

• talks out loud sometimes
    • My Personal Website
5" by 23" diameter

I have also pondered making a new home for it on the passenger side wall of the boot.  That would require a bit of work with fiberglass probably.
  • Elantra Touring GL

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
5" by 23" diameter

I have also pondered making a new home for it on the passenger side wall of the boot.  That would require a bit of work with fiberglass probably.

That's about the only logical alternative spot.
I've seen it done with Falcon station wagons in Oz when they fit a third row of seats in the rear.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
5" by 23" diameter

That's about the only logical alternative spot.
I've seen it done with Falcon station wagons in Oz when they fit a third row of seats in the rear.

Now that might work  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

apologies for the delay, and awesome iPhone pictures
but hope they give you an idea of the OEM finish.

with the OEM set up, everything sits flush when the seats are down. (I should mention that the 'carpet' cover is actually different from a non full size set up. (stronger)

with the OEM set up you also end up with a small opened cubby hole, handy for work gloves etc.
Many thanks for taking the trouble.

It is not what I had visualised at all.  I will be visiting my dealer to see what the costs are for the various bits.  It seems the four lashing eyes are mounted higher than mine so may need replacing as well as  the boot floor carpet and tool tray...methinks megabucks are involved.  You'd think that a common set up for both types of spare wheels would be simpler and cheaper for production with less parts and an  easy upgrade.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
If anyone is interested in original parts

where:
85780M - code number 857502R000WK (100$)
85780D -                       857502R200WK (100$)
85780L -                        857502R100WK (100$)
 :Shocked:
so the kit would cost 300$

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks for the parts diagram.  I have just visited my local dealer for prices of the five pieces required.  The cheapest item is £96 and around £450 seems a likely total for all five bits.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

hmmm .. depends how badly you want it. i reckon keep an eye out on a breakers site, ive found a few online who advertise i30's for breaking, a wee google should help

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Another cost to add in ...... is for the foam tray that the jack & wheel brace etc sit in, and that sits inside the spare wheel. 
In my own case, the insert tray from inside my space saver spare will not fit into either the 16" alloy wheels that came with the car, or the 15" OEM alloys that I also have shod with winter tyres.
I too yearn for a spare wheel that can go over 50mph.  Not got there as yet though.  I resort to carrying one of my winter wheels in the boot if going far.
Another tip - as I hate dirty spare wheels in the boot - is to carry a bin liner with the spare.  Not only can you kneel on it when changing the wheel but the dirty (punctured) wheel can go into it to keep the boot contents clean.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Another tip - as I hate dirty spare wheels in the boot - is to carry a bin liner with the spare.  Not only can you kneel on it when changing the wheel but the dirty (punctured) wheel can go into it to keep the boot contents clean.

Great tip.

I could have done with one when I had my flat last week.

Used an old coat I keep in the boot to kneel on.

Had to wash the tyre down with clean water when I had the original repaired as it was caked in mud...
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Oh yes - thanks Eye30 - my wife also tells me that I am full of bright ideas!
On subject of bin liners & bright ideas - I find that those wheelie bin liners (ie great big bin liners) are ideal for protecting (=keep clean & dark) 4x winter wheels /tyres or indeed summer wheels when not in use.
And looking outside today and at the outside temperature yesterday maybe time to get those winter wheels fitted.
Ed

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal