i30 Owners Club

new game

Offline kickininthefrontseat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle NSW
leaving home on a public holiday for a 300km trip with just over 1/4 of a tank

adds some spice to the trip, will it last, will a service station be open in a tiny rural town late on a public holiday

fuel light came on with 10km to go, did it easy

did sweat a little then the gauge went from 1/4 to 1/8 as soon as i started to go up a mountain range, gauge never did go back
  • White 2011 CRDi 6sp man sx + spider

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob2: :goodjob:

We did something similar once in our 2008 CRDi. We left Devonport to go to Launceston (200 kms return) looking for something for the wife. Couldn't find it so on a whim we kept going to Hobart another 400kms return... Plus some other driving ended up dooing over 700kms that day...

The thing was, as we were only originally going to Launceston we thought nothing of setting off with only 3/4 of tank of fuel...
and the fuel light only came on as we approached our home street...

Try that in a Chook tin or Commondore ... :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Did something similar yesterday actually.
Set off from home heading for Baldivis (probably @ 80 kms away) with @ 140 kms to go showing on the trip computer.
I fully intended to refuel down at Baldivis for the trip home but the more I drove the more the range stayed the same (for a while anyway) so I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a go.
I ended up not refuelling until I got home again.
Gotta love these i30s  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Don't you guys down under have 24 hours service at the servo's.. :question:

Here we can pay with cards at the pump on, well maybe not all servo's, but then 98 % of the servo's.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't you guys down under have 24 hours service at the servo's.. :question:

Here we can pay with cards at the pump on, well maybe not all servo's, but then 98 % of the servo's.

Probably only one 24 hour servo in most medium towns over here.. There are also one or two 24hour card operated facilities in places the size of Devonport where we live (25,000 people) but you need to set up an account to use those...

So basically only around 1 in 10 "servo's" would fit your description...(in Tassie anyway)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Probably only Dazz can relate to this one but back in 1999 we drove our (well, Ggodyear's Commodore) to Melbourne and across to Georgtown on the Devil Cat.
We stayed one night in Georgetown and set off to Launceston and on to Devonport and Burnie where we stayed overnight. I re-fuelled in one of the latter two towns but forget which now. However,we then set off for the West Coast but with a detour to Cradle Mountain. Then back and down to Zeehan and Strachan (the jumping off spot for the Gordon below Franklin Reserve). Stayed overnight in Queenstown and early in the morning, set off for Hobart, intending to fill up before we left Queenstown.
Nothing open, only about a quarter of a tank. The map doesn't look encouraging but we perservere.
The orange light was on for a llooonng time before we found some tiny little township - Derwent Bridge - just near the turnoff to Lake St Clair.
I have never been so sure i was going to run out of petrol.
Oh well maybe the time I ripped the drain plug out of my Renault 12's tank way up in the extremities of a State Forest while surveying for a rally. But that's a story for another time.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I can relate to that Trev  :Shocked:  Where Trevor is talking about is very isolated (we are talking maybe 100, 150 Kms between fuel stops on winding fairly deserted roads..) :whistler:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Strange.

In my little town of 1800 people, we have 2 servos with 24 hour service. Shop is open from approx 6-22 on both stations, but pumps are open 24/7

You can pay with all major creditcards at the pumps. You can also create an account and then pay once a month with no interest.  :razz:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Tasmania's total population is only around 500,000 spread over 26,000 square miles, so I think that is part of the reason (economies of scale) Do you have a lot of people travelling through your town?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I can relate to that Trev  :Shocked:  Where Trevor is talking about is very isolated (we are talking maybe 100, 150 Kms between fuel stops on winding fairly deserted roads..) :whistler:
Just had a look at some of our stuff from that trip.
We actually last filled up in Launceston so on those winding and hilly Tasmanian roads (which I love BTW) we travelled 534 klms (not counting tootling around in each town).
In an auto 6 cyl VR Commodore.

Now that's nothing much on the Pacific Hwy between Sydney and Brisbane but down there, WOW.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That was a good effort Trev.. :happydance:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Tasmania's total population is only around 500,000 spread over 26,000 square miles, so I think that is part of the reason (economies of scale) Do you have a lot of people travelling through your town?

Yes we do, and that's propably one of the reasons for the 2 servicestations, but it of course it is of the benefit for us with the competition. The price here in town is often lower than in the nearby bigger town with 12000 people.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes we do, and that's propably one of the reasons for the 2 servicestations, but it of course it is of the benefit for us with the competition. The price here in town is often lower than in the nearby bigger town with 12000 people.

Because Devonport is a port and one of the places fuel comes in to Tassie through (I think that is the reason) We usually have some of the lowest fuel prices in Tasmania  :happydance: (still high in comparison to some other parts of OZ though)  :rolleyes:

Currently around $1.49.9 for 91 unleaded less 8c for shopper docket

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

That's a lot of space for few people. No wonder you have long distances.  26000 square miles = 67340 km2

I Denmark there are 5,4 mill people on 43.090 Km2
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a lot of space for few people. No wonder you have long distances.  26000 square miles = 67340 km2

This is an interesting link Asterix (and others) has Population, Areas and Pop Density of Australian States... :goodjob:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_list_of_Australian_states_and_territories

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Because Devonport is a port and one of the places fuel comes in to Tassie through (I think that is the reason) We usually have some of the lowest fuel prices in Tasmania  :happydance: (still high in comparison to some other parts of OZ though)  :rolleyes:

Currently around $1.49.9 for 91 unleaded less 8c for shopper docket

That's nice prices for fuel.

Just passed the servicestation on my way home from spinning  :sweating:

Petrol 92: DKK 11,10  AUD 1,85
Diesel       DKK 10,32  AUD 1,72

That's cheap today, it often cost more.  :(

When we bougt the i30 we saved approx DKK 800,-  AUD 133,- a month on fuel, compared to the petrol car.  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I haven't noticed the diesel price for the last couple of weeks but mostly the same as Unleaded or sometimes up to 10c p/l dearer..

Did you see the other link about Australia I just posted Asterix?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

This is an interesting link Asterix (and others) has Population, Areas and Pop Density of Australian States... :goodjob:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranked_list_of_Australian_states_and_territories

That's interesting.

Just found this:

Rank State/Territory Population % Comparable Country
2 Victoria 5,547,527 24.8%  Denmark
The state of Victoria has the same population as Denmark, but the state is more than 5 times bigger than DK. And Victoria is apparently one of the smallest states.  :Shocked:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

And as you can see the population density varies a lot between the States  :eek:

(Sorry for the off topic - folks)

Back on topic.. you can see why good range in the i30 is treasured  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal