i30 Owners Club

When i get my car home? how do i crank the boost up?

Offline teamgeorge

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

• i30 CRDi sx Steel Grey 28/11/08
i dont intend on doing to straight away might wait 1000km then see what it can do, is it like a jap/turbo without an electronic boost controller? just get under the hood with an alan key?

a picture would be appreciated  :mrgreen:

is it 6psi/7psi stock (like jap cars) then turned up around 18-19psi i've read around here?...

Offline nizzkid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kalgoorlie
I think the variable vane turbo in the I30 regulate's boost via vacume pressure, not boost pressure like a normal turbo with a wastegate.

ouri30
teamgeorge,

Turbo in CRDi is controlled by a range of sensors that feed info to the ECU, so we have been led to believe.  I assume you have read the threads about reprogramming the ECU (Martin from DW Tuning).  From what I have gathered, reprogramming the ECU, or using a box like Shambles has installed, is the best way to change the boost / fuel delivery and to gain more power.  

I have fitted a Scanguage and can see the MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) as I drive.  MAP can be as high as 30+ psi when it needs to be (just plant your foot and the respose is evident), but it sits as low as 14.8 psi when idling.  I have also noticed that a 2-3 psi gain is evident when the aircon is operating.  This small boost in the MAP compensates for the A/C operating.  There may also be a change in fuel pressure / delivery tha I am not aware of.

Now, the turbo is variable vain and is, I assume, controlled by the ECU and the range of sensors, including the throttle.  So, what I gather is that the ECU delivers the precise amount of boost and the correct fuel ratio for the job at hand.  Messing with this balance is not something I would want to play with.

I reckon the best results would be had by either using an after market chip or a DW Tuning type reprogramming.  

Just my thoughts.  Others may have differing opinions or variations on the theme.

Bob

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
TeamGeorge, Bob has given you plenty of usefull advice, i just thought i'd ad that the Turbo is as Bob said two stage the primary is variable vane, i can see the vacume control for the variable vanes. also Thumper plyed with the vacume hose to turn off the vanes and stop them changing cavitation he gained a lot of fuel economy and lost a lot of low end grunt.
what Shambles has got seems to be the best value for $ and does not change the boost pressure and at around $200 AU its hard to beat. also easy to fit and easy to remove.

Offline teamgeorge

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

• i30 CRDi sx Steel Grey 28/11/08
ah thanks guys, makes sence to me.

if Shambles is only $200 AUD i will look into that... it needs to be posted from europe though? what website was it?

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "ouri30"
I have also noticed that a 2-3 psi gain is evident when the aircon is operating.  This small boost in the MAP compensates for the A/C operating.  There may also be a change in fuel pressure / delivery tha I am not aware of.

I was wondering what happened when I put the air-con on. Numerous times I've switched it on, and kep an eye of the rev counter - I've noticed no apparent drop of performance as the compressor kicks in, and rev's are unchanged. That answers a lot of my questions, thanks mate!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "ozsnowman"
Quote from: "ouri30"
I have also noticed that a 2-3 psi gain is evident when the aircon is operating.  This small boost in the MAP compensates for the A/C operating.  There may also be a change in fuel pressure / delivery tha I am not aware of.

I was wondering what happened when I put the air-con on. Numerous times I've switched it on, and kep an eye of the rev counter - I've noticed no apparent drop of performance as the compressor kicks in, and rev's are unchanged. That answers a lot of my questions, thanks mate!
ozsnowman i never notice  a loss in power or Tq with my v8 or with the 6 i had b4 that, but with some 4 cylinder petrols i have owned in the past i could feel them struggle when i turned aircond on. but the company toyota is 4 cylinder petrol and i can't notice that struggle with air cond on. but when i had the scangauge like bob i noticed how the boost went up if i was in 5th at around 1,600 going up a hill it would raise the boost i think it is done by lowering the manifold vacume as this changes the variable vane to cause it to boost more as the vacume goes up it lets the vanes go back then the center screw in the turbo takes over for revs.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal