i30 Owners Club

Tyres need replacing

Guest · 66 · 22494

mick55
I just took our cw in for 30,000km service, all OK except the standard Hankook  tyres need replacing fairly soon. I was slightly shocked I used to get around 50,000km out of Bridge stones on a V6 Magna wagon. Is 30,000 reasonable? As I'm planning a changeover in two years I'll probably replace with same tyres or are there better alternatives? Comments and advice please.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
When I was younger and drove a lot harder i used to only get 30K out of a set of tyres, but I got around 55K out of the first set on our 2008 CRDi Hatch and nearly 50K out of the first set on the Hybrid, so 30K seems very low for a "mature" gentleman in an auto wagon   :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
When I was younger and drove a lot harder i used to only get 30K out of a set of tyres, but I got around 55K out of the first set on our 2008 CRDi Hatch and nearly 50K out of the first set on the Hybrid, so 30K seems very low for a "mature" gentleman in an auto wagon   :confused:
But about the same as "My" Hankooks Dazz.
Which, compared to my current tyres and those on my previous Impreza are wearing fine.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Which, compared to my current tyres and those on my previous Impreza are wearing fine.

But you are an ex rally driver who admits to some spirited driving  :whistler: (and yours is a manual)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

But you are an ex rally driver who admits to some spirited driving  :whistler: (and yours is a manual)
Yes but I didn't drive the Impreza any differently, nor the i30 with the current tyres on it. So there, Mr Smarty Pants.
Explain THAT. :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes but I didn't drive the Impreza any differently, nor the i30 with the current tyres on it. So there, Mr Smarty Pants.
Explain THAT. :happydance:

I don't think I babied our CRDi either  :undecided: (With that great engine the tempation to hoon a bit and "go the long way" was always there...) Because they were noisy I thought they were fairly hard wearing  :-[

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I've got nearly 42,000k's on my original Hankooks and I usually corner pretty hard so I'm thinkin' 30,000k is a bit ordinary.... :eek:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've got nearly 42,000k's on my original Hankooks and I usually corner pretty hard so I'm thinkin' 30,000k is a bit ordinary.... :eek:
There's no doubt it's ordinary Rusty. Which is why I can't recommend Hankkoks to anyone. A fair proportion of that distance was highway driving, too.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
But then there's others that get great mileage out of them.... :eek:

While mine haven't got a great amount of tread left, there's enough there that I'm gonna drive to Townsville on them later this year...... :undecided:

While on the subject of tyres, what do you think of GT Radials?

I see their "Champiro 228" came out on top in a "Choice" comparison recently....

Offline ryane

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney: Blue mountains
I got 40k out of my first set. Didnt really take it easy on them.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
About to replace mine at 60k, that said, that's all 5 wheels used up.....

I just think there an average tyre. I got 80k out of my last set due to the amount of highway driving I do.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's not unusual for different drivers to get widely varying distance out of similar tyres. But it is extreemely unusual for one driver to get dud mileage out of one set of tyres. When combined with other drivers getting good mileage that's about the only true indication of some variance in the factory of manufacture. (tread compounds, different carcass construction etc).
An extremely unusual situation. And one the tyre manufacturers will never admit to.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I got 68,000 kms out of my first set (four tyres) and the current ones (kumho again) are up to 64,000 kms and still have a few thousand left in them.
My spare is unused.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Surferdude, What's the maximum safe life of a spare, that doesn't go on the road  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Mine have always been quite safe until car trade-in time.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Oh and the second half of the tyres life seemed to vastly exceed the life of the first half. If you know what I mean.

I thought I would be lucky to get 45, but got to 60 quite comfortably. If I didn't have the replacement set sitting in the garage, I would probably get to 65.

Oh and with all the rain going around up here, it was a good test of the tyre as it was getting towards the end of its life. It would be fair to say that there is no difference in the tyres performance even when getting close to the dreaded tread bar.

That said, would I buy another set? No thanks.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Surferdude, What's the maximum safe life of a spare, that doesn't go on the road  :question:
They say 6 years. But that has only come in over the last few years. I feel it's a bit of marketing combined with some fact.

There's no doubt tyres get harder as they age which increases the risk of serious structural failure due to reduced flex and the chemical breakdown of the components over time. Having said that I've seen tyres last for years longer than that however I've also seen failures which are due to older tyres which have had an "easy" life being asked to suddenly deliver a big mileage or consistent high speed.

So I'm happy to see people do 5 wheel rotation and get all the tyres off at about the same time.
I've never been a fan of using the best tyre as a spare because it can sit there for years then get put on the car during a trip when the car is loaded up with passengers. luggage and even a trailer. Almost guaranteed to fail in those circumstances.

Also, a big warning to people who have a 4WD with the spare mounted on the back, in the sun. Those tyres have a much higher failure rate when fitted on the vehicle after 3 or 4 years. That observation helped me solve a problem a guy had with a tandem boat trailer not long back. 2 failures on the one side of the trailer which we established was parked in his back yard for weeks at a time with those two tyres in almost full sunlight all day.

Oh and the second half of the tyres life seemed to vastly exceed the life of the first half. If you know what I mean.
That's normal beerman because, the more tread depth you have, the more "flex" in the blocks and "flex" equals scrubbing.

Oh and with all the rain going around up here, it was a good test of the tyre as it was getting towards the end of its life. It would be fair to say that there is no difference in the tyres performance even when getting close to the dreaded tread bar.

I found that too with the Hankooks. It's unusual, to say the least, but I put it down as much to the neutral handling of the i30 as much as to the tyre performance.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I guess we'll find out at the end of the second set!

But I suspect your right.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
This is slightly off-topic but indirectly related.

I found some years ago a brand and type of shoe that I found the best mix of style and comfort. They have a moulded all-in-one sole and heel made of some plasticy rubbery composite material not unlike a tyre tread.

A few years back I found that a pair of my shoes that I had worn only a few times had badly cracked soles and I sent them off to the manufacturer to complain. I was advised that the manufacturing date was stamped inside the heel under the insole and that the shoes were 7 years old. It was explained that the non-leather parts of the shoe were bio-degradeable using the same technology as commonly used in the car tyre industry and the soles would start to degrade after about 6 years.  This was a bit of a shock because I have the same brand shoes in several styles and colours - some of which get worn very rarely and would be regarded as vintage by my wife. 

This thread reminded me about this experience and I have just spent an hour rummaging through my wardrobe. I found 2 pairs of shoes with signs of cracks in the soles - one pair are 6 years old and the second pair 8 years old. It seems that I will have to reduce my shoe stock and just keep a few pairs which are worn regularly to get my monies worth.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You might have to keep your shoes in the fridge, Alan.... :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That is interesting Alan.. I have a bit of a shoe fetish  :-[  (I have about a dozen pairs) fortunately I am also tight so none were expensive... Sounds like I better start rotating them more often  :whistler:

I am hard on shoes (often they only last 3 to 6 months if I wear them regularly - maybe their age is part of the reason) It is also one of the reasons I don't buy dearer shoes (because I still ruin them just as quickly)  :confused:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
This is what to look for

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

There's nothing much worse than a crack in a sole.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My shoes often split across there (I always blamed it on crouching down)  :undecided:

I also wear the heal unevenly and it is not really worth paying nearly as much to put a new heal on as they are worth..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Get an alignment !!
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Get an alignment !!

I asked for that ...  :rofl:

...and back on topic.. Nice  :D

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I thought about saying something similar but then thought I'd tread carefully.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline sheepman

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Peebles
I'm on my 4th set of front tyres on my i30 premium and it's only done 43thousnd miles last two sets were kumho nd now tring Yokohama both sets kumho had bad inide wear completely bald fter 9 thousand mile rear tyre are still the original hammocks ,is it just me or is this normal seems pretty ubbish to me
  • 2 litre diesil crdi premium

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm on my 4th set of front tyres on my i30 premium and it's only done 43thousnd miles last two sets were kumho nd now tring Yokohama both sets kumho had bad inide wear completely bald fter 9 thousand mile rear tyre are still the original hammocks ,is it just me or is this normal seems pretty ubbish to me
Hi sheepman, if the tyres are wearing on a shoulder (in your case, the inside) there is definitely an alignment issue. Someone is setting it up wrongly. They should be taking your tyre wear into account and adjusting accordingly.
Unless you are mustering the sheep in it. :whistler: :wink:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal