i30 Owners Club

New i30 Owner

Robbo123 · 13 · 14518

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite
Hi there!
Just taken delivery of my new i30 Petrol Elite! Really impressed with everything so far. I'm benchmarking the car against a Mazda 3 2012 model as that's what I have been driving for the last few years (I drove a 2009 Mazda 3 for most of that time).  The engine isn't amazing (but it's definitely not slow!). It has a metallic sound when accelerating, it's not very pleasant. The steering isn't as direct as a Mazda 3 either, but I expected that after reading many reviews online. BUT the features list is MUCH better than a Mazda 3. Auto this, dual that, heated this etc.

Here it is

This was also included in the glovebox. The dvd like oversized container only contained a sheet of paperwork (licensing stuff) and this 4GB USB drive with nothing on it. Does this hint at possible DIY map updates? The drive has "mapcare" written on the back of it. Anyone know?

I also got a whole stack of manuals for various things. So many in fact they wouldn't all fit in the logbook holder.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the feedback Jack.. Sorry but I don't know the story with the thumb drive  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My guess is that you will download map updates from the Hyundai web site to your PC - transfer the map file to the USB memory stick, and then update the car maps with it.

It's only a guess - but I can see no other reason.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite
My guess is that you will download map updates from the Hyundai web site to your PC - transfer the map file to the USB memory stick, and then update the car maps with it.

It's only a guess - but I can see no other reason.
That's my guess too, but currently Hyundai Australia only offer map updates via dealer services.

Offline Gericho

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Just wondering if you or anyone has experienced a flat spot at slow speeds in the new GD i30 auto? It has happened twice now when I try to apply power after nearly coming to a stop. Such a situation would be common in bumper to bumper traffic. I suspect the the computer thinks the car is accelerating but  u slow suddenly and then try to power on again at low speeds Perhaps the car in a wrong gear and needs time to adjust. Any comments?

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite
Just wondering if you or anyone has experienced a flat spot at slow speeds in the new GD i30 auto? It has happened twice now when I try to apply power after nearly coming to a stop. Such a situation would be common in bumper to bumper traffic. I suspect the the computer thinks the car is accelerating but  u slow suddenly and then try to power on again at low speeds Perhaps the car in a wrong gear and needs time to adjust. Any comments?

I have only done about 60km in the car so not incredibly familiar with it, but I can't say I've noticed that problem. I just took it for a trip around my suburb and tried to replicate the issue with no luck. Might be something to mention at your first service. Is it possible you could check something for me? I noticed my "glovebox cooler" vent has very little coming out of it, even if the aircon is on high. Is this the same for you? It's quite a weak flow of air.

Other another note, my car has fold flat seats! What the? According to Hyundai Australia, only the Premium has fold flat seats. These are where the "bum cushion" pulls up, then the rear part of the seat comes down. Whilst they're not completely flat, that's what Hyundai call flat seats. Anyone else with an Elite have these seats? You'll notice a loop on the bottoms of the rear seats if you do.

Another thing I've noticed is this:

It's a stitched loop which has been added to the original belt!I had no idea what it was. It's only on the passenger seatbelt, the drivers seat has the normal black plastic rivet. After some googling, apparently it's there to stop the belt bouncing when not in use and rattling agains the pillar! Hence it's to reduce the annoyance and noise. What a great idea!

Lastly I've been thinking I might upgrade the speakers in the car. They're not terrible, but the Mazda 3 had better speakers. I'll have to have a think about the best options (I have already read some others changing them here!)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Interesting feedback and observations thanks  :goodjob2:

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Sorry, have not notice that either. Gearbox is functioning very well in our GD and i am in start stop traffic everyday. Car has now done about 3500kms.

Offline Robbo123

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite
Just an update..the car now has 300km on it. I have discovered the brake pedal is squeaking at slow speeds. I took my shoe off thinking that was the problem, but it appears it's the actual braking mechanism. I hope it's nothing major, I'll mention it at my first service.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That loop is interesting. I searched for the slight bumping noise for ages until I discovered the seat belt knocking on the pillar.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just an update..the car now has 300km on it. I have discovered the brake pedal is squeaking at slow speeds. I took my shoe off thinking that was the problem, but it appears it's the actual braking mechanism. I hope it's nothing major, I'll mention it at my first service.

I doubt it is anything to worry about.. :goodjob:

That loop is interesting. I searched for the slight bumping noise for ages until I discovered the seat belt knocking on the pillar.

Yes, I agree good idea. The passenger's belt buckle knocks in both our cars if not placed correctly after use  :rolleyes:

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
 :wss: totally agreed.  that's what I thought & experienced.  :goodjob2:

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW

I'm experiencing flat spots but not like how yours is? I've been experiencing it during changing low gears, more detectable when i'm accelerating slow in gear 1 on to 2 or 2 on to 3. It feels like i'm going in to N gear for 0.1 sec just before the gear shifts up. If I accelerate fast like go beyond 2500rpm, i don't feel it much.. I've done 1150km and about to go do a quick service for it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal