i30 Owners Club

Crdi Auto fuel economy

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Filled up today having done 855km with 111km to empty on the trip computer.  Filled to the brim putting in 47.10 litres. That gives 5.6 l/100km. 

Vehicle is a GD CRDi Auto and has done just over 3000km.

After fillup, the DTE was 790km.

Quite happy with consumption to date.    :P

Wow, what was your average speed? That just seem like humanly impossible for an auto! 48L just did me 600km this week.. though my average is 25km/hr.

ouri30
Filled up today having done 855km with 111km to empty on the trip computer.  Filled to the brim putting in 47.10 litres. That gives 5.6 l/100km. 

Vehicle is a GD CRDi Auto and has done just over 3000km.

After fillup, the DTE was 790km.

Quite happy with consumption to date.    :P

Wow, what was your average speed? That just seem like humanly impossible for an auto! 48L just did me 600km this week.. though my average is 25km/hr.

The average was just over 70kph.

On the way home, about 65km, I sat on 90kph (on speedo) using cruise and managed 4.8 lph on trip computer which would be 5.0 allowing for error.  The average was almost 80kph on trip computer.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Latest fill, 33.08l for 480km 6.89, 41mpg. Again all round town driving. Using Shell fuel now, can't say I can tell from the seat of the pants-o-meter if its any better for performance. In any case, fuel consumption continues to improve as expected.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Appreciate its an old thread now but I've been maintaining an overall average of 6.7l/100 comprising of mostly round town driving. I'm over the obsession of how low can you go (about 4.8) and now fill up once a month whether the car needs it or not. Huzzah.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I note that 'Asterix' said they put a 1400kg caravan with car fully loaded and can climb the mountains... WOW!? I tow my 420kg~ boat/trailer combo on the back of my car and I can certainly notice it in both acceleration and stopping abilities. Id hate to put on three times that weight behind the car lol!!! I tend to hold the years longer and shift down well prematurely than normal when going up hill etc with the boat on the back. My car (a 2011 1.6L CRDi I30 MANUAL) goes very well with the trailer and boat but I never have considered my car to be a real tower...... 

OH!! and talking about fuel economy ... I just drove 600km return with the trailer boat on and it only killed my economy by 1.5l/100 which is fine.. I was sitting at the high 6's where I normally would get about 5.2l/100 highway/city combined.
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
With 1400 Kgs, I'm sure it's noticeable for Asterix as well. 420 kg is 4 or 5 extra people so I think we'd all notice a weight increase like that. However, the best indication of how your car deals with the weight is in the l/100 figure, which you say is still quite respectable. I'd be very happy with that figure too.

BTW, note the topic title.  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Now that we are a Little bit off topic  :mrgreen:

Yes it's noticeable. On our 3400 km summertrips we normally do 9,1-9,7 /100 km depending on wind and speed.

It's not that much the 1400 kg, but more the drag that increases the fuel consumption. My caravan have a huge front area, your boat is much more aero dynamic, thus the slightly increase in your economy.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline VinD

• 1st Gear
  • 2008 CRDi SLX Auto - blue

• au Australia
      Canberra
Just thought i'd add to the discussion. My 08 Diesel auto crdi with 80,000km on the clock consistently gets around 7.2l/100km as per the trip meter (not manually worked out). Just to and from work 60km driving but not overly start/stop. To be honest I expected better for a diesel but it's not too bad.
  • i30 crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yep those figures are about as good as can be expected from the auto. This box is only 4 speed like ours, but I find it pleasant to drive. To get into the high 4's, you need a manual gearbox and I don't want one of those.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Tourer_Guy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra, Australia
I've now had my i30 tourer for just over 2 months (crdi manual).  The last two tanks I've averaged 5.0l/100km on the trip computer (seems to be 5.1-5.2 in real life), and after fillingg up Monday morning am currently averaging 4.5l/100km after some easy runs to the office and back.

That said, I drive fairly gently and don't have many hills to deal with.

After two months and 3000km I am still extremely pleased with this car.
  • GD i30 Active Tourer CRDi

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Still running 5.4 after one month and 5500km. Hope my numbers keep going down.  :victory:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline TimH

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      The Ponds, Sydney
I've had my auto CRDi tourer for a month now and is at 2400kms.  Just did a Sydney-Newcastle run and the guage varied between 4.9 and 5.1l/100kms. Filled it up at 606kms and it took 36.01 litres giving an average of about 5.9l/100kms for the tank which included 240kms of around town driving. Happy with that. Roof bars and style visors are fitted too, not sure if they effect consumption
  • I30 crdi tourer

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Latest fill, 33.08l for 480km 6.89, 41mpg. Again all round town driving. Using Shell fuel now, can't say I can tell from the seat of the pants-o-meter if its any better for performance. In any case, fuel consumption continues to improve as expected.

Hi Keith, what is special about Shell Diesel? i just thought it was normal truck diesel? when i've used Shell my diesel's don't feel any different but on BP Ultimate they start to feel smoother after runing about 200k same with caltex vortex Diesel but have never noticed an economy gain they all seem to get same economy. i mostly use mobile truck diesel as i only get that or Shell where i am & mobile is 10 cents cheaper per L, my friend did 850,000k on a MB Sprinter van 2,2 common rail diesel never had to service or replace injectors or fuel pump never used injection cleaner & only used mobile diesel as it was cheaper. but he sold it at 850,000k & it needed new injectors then.

Offline Bushy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mordialloc, Victoria

• 2013 i30 Elite Tourer CRDI Auto "Cool Red"
Just filled up my CRDI for the fifth time since new.  Latest consumption figure was best yet at 5.6l/100km for a mix of city short trips, peak hour driving and 140 km round trip weekly drives to the country to visit dad.  First time I have registered under 6, so very happy.  Done 2750 Km so far.
  • 2013 i30 Tourer Elite CRDI 1.6L D Auto Red

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Good on ya Bushy! :goodjob2:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
After a gentle run down the highway on the weekend saw 4.6. Normally we see about 7.9 round town. This is on the Caltex soy bean enhanced diesel. No complaints here although I do catch the odd whiff of tofu from time to time.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD

Hi Keith, what is special about Shell Diesel? i just thought it was normal truck diesel? when i've used Shell my diesel's don't feel any different but on BP Ultimate they start to feel smoother after runing about 200k same with caltex vortex Diesel but have never noticed an economy gain they all seem to get same economy. i mostly use mobile truck diesel as i only get that or Shell where i am & mobile is 10 cents cheaper per L, my friend did 850,000k on a MB Sprinter van 2,2 common rail diesel never had to service or replace injectors or fuel pump never used injection cleaner & only used mobile diesel as it was cheaper. but he sold it at 850,000k & it needed new injectors then.

According to the MSDS Caltex has beans, its up to 10% biodiesel. Shell has none.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I note that 'Asterix' said they put a 1400kg caravan with car fully loaded and can climb the mountains... WOW!? I tow my 420kg~ boat/trailer combo on the back of my car and I can certainly notice it in both acceleration and stopping abilities. Id hate to put on three times that weight behind the car lol!!! I tend to hold the years longer and shift down well prematurely than normal when going up hill etc with the boat on the back. My car (a 2011 1.6L CRDi I30 MANUAL) goes very well with the trailer and boat but I never have considered my car to be a real tower...... 

OH!! and talking about fuel economy ... I just drove 600km return with the trailer boat on and it only killed my economy by 1.5l/100 which is fine.. I was sitting at the high 6's where I normally would get about 5.2l/100 highway/city combined.

I used to tow a 8X5 trailer with my first i30 CRDi 5 speed manual i had two big motor bikes on the trailer & a lot of gear , it would hold 5th gear with Cruise Control set at 110KPH up & down hill's impressed me. but economy was not as good as normal but never had a trip Computer on that one. the one i have now no town bar & not putting one on as saw all the support for the plastic rear bumper needs to be removed so will leave it.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

According to the MSDS Caltex has beans, its up to 10% biodiesel. Shell has none.

I thought they had to carry a warning if they were using biodiesel? Given that Hyundai warns against using more than 5% they would be setting themselves up for a claim if something goes wrong. The servo down the road carries warnings that they may contain 10% biodiesel and thats why I don't fill up there.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Fill up with Caltex Bio B5 Diesel or Caltex Bio B20 Diesel - Diesel enhanced with biodiesel

Caltex produces a range of biodiesel blends.

'Neat' or straight biodiesel is a diesel replacement fuel made from non-fossil fuel sources that can be mixed with ordinary diesel in any proportion.

Biodiesel is manufactured in Australia mostly from used cooking oil and animal fats (tallow). Caltex blends biodiesel with standard extra-low-sulfur petroleum diesel to create Bio B5 Diesel, a diesel/biodiesel mixture containing 5% biodiesel, and Bio B20 Diesel, a mixture containing 20% biodiesel.

These products, available only to commercial customers, are drop-in substitutes for regular diesel that can play a significant role in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and assist in providing long-term solutions to climate change.

Bio B5 Diesel and Bio B20 Diesel are available for commercial sale from our Sydney, Newcastle, Adelaide terminals and our Rocklea depot in Brisbane. While Bio B5 Diesel is the most widely used blend of its kind on the market, demand for B20 is growing rapidly because it further enhances the benefits associated with biodiesel usage.

All vehicles or machinery that normally run on automotive diesel can use Bio B5 Diesel with no engine modifications. The Australian Diesel Standard specifies an allowance of up to 5% biodiesel content.

http://www.caltex.com.au/ProductsAndServices/Pages/BioFuels.aspx

I am contacting Caltex to see whats in Vortex. I'll keep you posted.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Certainly sounds like there's no bio in our normal run of the mill diesel then...  :goodjob:

Here's hoping you hear back from Caltex confirming this...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
From Caltex via an email enquiry:

In addition to a straight diesel fraction, Vortex diesel's formulation allows for components such as lubricity additives, fuel system cleaner, defoamant, wax and up to 5.0% bio-component (FAME - Fatty Acid Methyl Ester) as per the attached sales specification (this means 4.9999r  - etc.) when the level actually reaches 5.0%, the product must be sold as B5 Diesel).. Typically, and depending upon the availability of bio diesel, premium diesels contain approximately 2% bio diesel.

There was a detailed technical specification attached to the email as well. It doesn't really add anything to the discussion.

Here endeth the mystery. Essentially a variable component of between 2 and 4.999% is biodiesel. If its 5% it needs to be sold as B5. Whether its beans or not is not stated. In Malaysia for example, i noted their FAME is palm oil based. However msds for some diesel products do indicate beans specifically.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 04:49:11 by Aussie Keith »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal