i30 Owners Club

My first 1000km tank

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Today marked a big milestone for my i30. Covering 1011.7km before filling up!

I'll have to check my records but I'm pretty sure it was my 7th tank and the car is now around 6400km on the clock.

Consumption according to i30 trip computer was 5.6, SG was 5.4, I haven't pulled a calculator out to work on the figures (Although I think theres a good chance the pump was dodgy SG expected 54.5lts, bowser said 55.54lt........

This new tank is also the Vortex diesel. I got it in Wollongong on my return from NYE celebrations on South NSW coast. So it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Give it a few more thousand clicks and I'll be coming after you Thumper!!!  :D :lol:  :wink:

Personally I don't think the 30+ degree weather has been helping the economy, in this weather IAT cruising on the highway is around 50C. From what I've been able to see, I get the best LHK when IAT is in the low to mid 30's. Normally the only time I achieve this is at night going up/down the F3 currently.

Regards

Daniel

Daniel

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Bring it on!  :twisted: :twisted:

Seriously though, you should see better economy as the temps rise, not the other way around!  :eek:

Normal driving should see IAT around 4-7 degrees C higher than ambient air temp. (It will go higher the more you work the engine in the higher RPM range)

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Yea I don't know what's going on.

Normally when ambient is in the low 20's and IAT is showing low 30's seems to be when I get the best figure so far.

Compared to you it's nothing to write home about, but I do between 4 and 5 LHK on the F3.

Yesterday and Today on the Princes Hwy on South Coast ambient was 30-35 and IAT around 50. I was getting between 5 and 6 LHK.....

I don't get it..........

I've been meaning to ask about your comments about 'warmer' air being better for economy. What sort of IAT do you actually mean? As I'm sure everyone has a differing view on what cold, cool, warm and hot are.

Cheers

Daniel

Regards

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
Yee haa!  I just got my first 1000+ Km tank.  1010.5 Km off 59.82 L for a consumption of 5.9 L/100Km.  I drove like a nervous granny on a Sunday afternoon for the whole tank (4 weeks).  Apologies to all those who got stuck behind me for those 4 weeks.  :lol:  It was really hard to do I tell you.  This tankful I am going to drive how I want to drive and we'll see what the difference is.   :twisted:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Hey many kms total have you got on the odo Middy?

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yee haa!  I just got my first 1000+ Km tank.  1010.5 Km off 59.82 L for a consumption of 5.9 L/100Km.  I drove like a nervous granny on a Sunday afternoon for the whole tank (4 weeks).  Apologies to all those who got stuck behind me for those 4 weeks.  :lol:  It was really hard to do I tell you.  This tankful I am going to drive how I want to drive and we'll see what the difference is.   :twisted:

Hi Middy,

Congrats on the 1000+ Km but...You shouldn't have to drive like nervous granny to get 5.9 LPHK. I drive fairly normally most of the time with the odd "fang" and average 5.4-5.5. I don't usually go over 1000km between fills (although I have a few times) because I don't like making people wait at the bowser while I let the froth settle....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Hi Middy,

Congrats on the 1000+ Km but...You shouldn't have to drive like nervous granny to get 5.9 LPHK. I drive fairly normally most of the time with the odd "fang" and average 5.4-5.5. I don't usually go over 1000km between fills (although I have a few times) because I don't like making people wait at the bowser while I let the froth settle....

That's how I drove to work this morning, some fanging thrown in for good measure.  I couldn't resist a peek at the L/100Km when I reached work, it was on 5.3 L/100Km.    :rolleyes:   No more nervous granny on sleeping pills for me.   :lol:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I think the LEAST I have put in the tank has been 45lts............

The most being 57.71!!!!

But back on topic it all depends on how new the car is. It took me quite a while to break the 1000km and I had similar consumption. Now I'm on 5.3LHK using air con sparingly, shifting before 2500rpm (most of the time).

Now I've broken the 1100km mark, although I don't this current tank will make it, way to much 'city' driving.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
@ middy

What's "fanging"  :question:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Another Aussie term Shambles.

It means 'putting your foot down' 'going fast' 'driving like crazy' etc etc

Regards

Daniel

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

@ middy

It means "to drive in a spirited manner, sometimes causing the outside scenery to warp like a spaceship entering hyperspace if one has one's lead filled space boots on."   :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It means 'putting your foot down' 'going fast' 'driving like crazy' etc etc
It means "to drive in a spirited manner, sometimes causing the outside scenery to warp like a spaceship entering hyperspace if one has one's lead filled space boots on."   :D

Ah... I have some learning to do :lol:

Over here we say "gunning it" :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Giving it some "poke" is a term I've used
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Ahhhhh, that'll be the lead welly syndrome then :lol:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Giving it some "poke" is a term I've used

:eek: I use that word for something else  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

• Rides: i30 crdi SLX white
@ middy

It is reputed that the term is derived from the name of one Juan Manuel Fangio

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal