i30 Owners Club

21,500km in 8 months and counting!

Offline mimico_polak

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Toronto, Ontario
Hello everyone,

I've not been very active in responding / posting on the forum but frequently go on to see what's going on, what's being said about the car, and what modifications have been performed with the results of the mod.

I bought my 2012 Elantra Touring GLS AT (Canada spec) in August of 2012 and have already put on over 20,000km within this time (where do the miles go!?) and I must say I'm very impressed with the car overall. The car just seems to be good at everything, but great / superb at nothing (except the capacity for cargo).

fit and finish is clean and minimalistic which I really like
drive of the car is comfortable, but on a recent 1,050km day with my gf to Algonquin Park and back the seats did get rather tiring on our behinds
engine hums along happily on highways and side roads with minimal drama
transmission could definitely use another gear for highway cruising
my fuel consumption is around 7.5-8.5l/100km depending on how I feel that week
my gf's fuel consumption is around 6.5-7l/100km (fairly new driver so careful)
visibility is great except checking blindspot on the left hand side
bluetooth is fairly good but would prefer one that goes through all of the speakers and automatically shuts off the radio
I could transport a 24” stove!

I've recently gone through the exercise of looking for a replacement car, but no matter what I drove (A3, Optima (Turbo and non-turbo), Sonata, Elantra (new style), Focus, Fusion, Charger, 3-Series, etc.) I just have not been able to find the right mix of price, features, and style that I really liked. In the end I cancelled the sale of my car to a buyer because I couldn't find something that balances all of my needs in a vehicle...especially at the price that I paid for this car brand new (under $20k with taxes).

Having gone from the Genesis Coupe 3.8 MT everyone said I was crazy and nuts for going to such a practical vehicle. And for a while I believed them...until I actually looked at my usage of the vehicle and what I want...vs what I need. And this car meets all my needs, and some wants (cargo). Obviously I miss the power, cornering, and fun factor of my previous car but really how often do I get to use that during my daily drive. I have a motorcycle to fill that void and spring is slowly coming to Toronto!

The things which I think will make me even more happier with the vehicle is some minor mods to just spruce it up a bit. I'm looking at doing the following (and this is what I've been focusing my research on the forum):

installing the factory rails (damn you Hyundai Canada for not having this stock)
installing a lowering kit on the springs (just don't like how the car sits on the 17”s – seems very high)
possibly installing an in-dash navigation unit (can't seem to locate the ones that have been installed by others on the site)
possibly installing radio controls on the steering wheel

And that's it. I like the car. I hated it for a while and did everything in my power to get rid of it, but ones I took a step back, and looked at it again it's a great car. It serves it's purpose fantastically and does everything I need and want it to do well. My biggest regret...not buying the manual transmission. I looked into it, and the costs don't justify it. Hell it's easier to sell this one, and buy a used manual transmission one in it's place.

Anyway that's enough of that, just wanted to share my thoughts on this great vehicle, and I wish we had more options for wagons in Canada as they truly are the best of both worlds...the handling and efficiency of a car and the utility of an SUV.

p.s. If anyone has recommendations on lowering kits / factory rails and whether they are available for purchase/install in Canada I'd highly appreciate a quick note and chat about it...yearly bonus is here tomorrow so may find the $ for something :)
  • 2012 Elantra Touring GLS

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi

Agree with you. There's a lot of cars out there that's better looking an more fun to drive, but at the end of the day, it fulfil my requirements.

Your car looks great in that colour, a lowering kit would be awesome.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Excellent posting .. I think most would get a sore behind (in any car) doing over 1000kms in a day ..

Does look very nice in that colour  :mrgreen: (see welcome section for how to host/post bigger pix)  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Amended by Phil.
Hello everyone,

I've not been very active in responding / posting on the forum but frequently go on to see what's going on, what's being said about the car, and what modifications have been performed with the results of the mod.
Looks like you made up fr it today. :D
I bought my 2012 Elantra Touring GLS AT (Canada spec) in August of 2012 and have already put on over 20,000km within this time (where do the miles go!?) and I must say I'm very impressed with the car overall. The car just seems to be good at everything, but great / superb at nothing (except the capacity for cargo).

fit and finish is clean and minimalistic which I really like
drive of the car is comfortable, but on a recent 1,050km day with my gf to Algonquin Park and back the seats did get rather tiring on our behinds
engine hums along happily on highways and side roads with minimal drama
transmission could definitely use another gear for highway cruising
my fuel consumption is around 7.5-8.5l/100km depending on how I feel that week
my gf's fuel consumption is around 6.5-7l/100km (fairly new driver so careful)
visibility is great except checking blindspot on the left hand side
bluetooth is fairly good but would prefer one that goes through all of the speakers and automatically shuts off the radio
I could transport a 24” stove!

I've recently gone through the exercise of looking for a replacement car, but no matter what I drove (A3, Optima (Turbo and non-turbo), Sonata, Elantra (new style), Focus, Fusion, Charger, 3-Series, etc.) I just have not been able to find the right mix of price, features, and style that I really liked. In the end I cancelled the sale of my car to a buyer because I couldn't find something that balances all of my needs in a vehicle...especially at the price that I paid for this car brand new (under $20k with taxes).

Having gone from the Genesis Coupe 3.8 MT everyone said I was crazy and nuts for going to such a practical vehicle. And for a while I believed them...until I actually looked at my usage of the vehicle and what I want...vs what I need. And this car meets all my needs, and some wants (cargo). Obviously I miss the power, cornering, and fun factor of my previous car but really how often do I get to use that during my daily drive. I have a motorcycle to fill that void and spring is slowly coming to Toronto!

The things which I think will make me even more happier with the vehicle is some minor mods to just spruce it up a bit. I'm looking at doing the following (and this is what I've been focusing my research on the forum):

installing the factory rails (damn you Hyundai Canada for not having this stock)
installing a lowering kit on the springs (just don't like how the car sits on the 17”s – seems very high)
possibly installing an in-dash navigation unit (can't seem to locate the ones that have been installed by others on the site)
possibly installing radio controls on the steering wheel

And that's it. I like the car. I hated it for a while and did everything in my power to get rid of it, but ones I took a step back, and looked at it again it's a great car. It serves it's purpose fantastically and does everything I need and want it to do well. My biggest regret...not buying the manual transmission. I looked into it, and the costs don't justify it. Hell it's easier to sell this one, and buy a used manual transmission one in it's place.
Is the manual more expensive, in your country?
Anyway that's enough of that, just wanted to share my thoughts on this great vehicle, and I wish we had more options for wagons in Canada as they truly are the best of both worlds...the handling and efficiency of a car and the utility of an SUV.

p.s. If anyone has recommendations on lowering kits / factory rails and whether they are available for purchase/install in Canada I'd highly appreciate a quick note and chat about it...yearly bonus is here tomorrow so may find the $ for something :)

No car can fulfil everyone's expectations totally. I liked your post as you have balanced the good with the bad and I'm pleased the car appeals to you more as time goes by. Have any of your friends that said you were "crazy & nuts" voiced any more opinion on your choice of car. I take it they're into performance vehicles.

Don't be a stranger on here we always welcome other people's experiences with their cars.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Great post and I'm glad you're happy with your car.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline mimico_polak

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Toronto, Ontario
Hey guys,
Thanks for the posts, I appreciate it. As I said the car's great and I've put some effort into finding the right accessories for this. I like a nice clean look to a car, hence I've never modified a car from stock before. The mods I'm planning are (IMHO) a clean addition to the look/feel of the car without moving towards the boy racer route.
There's a pic of a lighter blue modded the way I want to do it on this forum ('lightly modified i30' or something along those lines) and I just love the clean look of the lowered springs, and the rails.

I've contacted a few dealers already and one has responded that he's not aware of any Hyundai rails for the Canadian spec, or the lowered springs beings offered from Hyundai...so looks like aftermarket is the route to go with. I'm not planning on drilling holes into my roof so if they don't fit...well then I guess I'm SOL!

Phil...they stick by their 'can't believe you bought this thing' comments but when we go for drives or anywhere they're quite impressed with the car and the features for the price. They're just used to me with different cars over the years. I'm just waiting for the calls to start to help them move with all that space! LoL

So...does anyone know if the rails from the US spec will fit on the Canadian spec car??? If I remove the striping on the roof are there screws there? Logically it makes sense not to change the design on Hyundai's part.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
So...does anyone know if the rails from the US spec will fit on the Canadian spec car??? If I remove the striping on the roof are there screws there? Logically it makes sense not to change the design on Hyundai's part.

You would suspect so. I would try and carfully remove one of the strips and see if there are threaded holes under them near each end .. If so, in my opinion you would be safe to import some rails ..  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mimico_polak

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Toronto, Ontario
Phil...sorry missed your second question. Yes the manual is cheaper in Canada than the auto versions...personally I prefer the manual much better but the SO has no clue how to drive it so for now I'll stick with auto. Much easier in Toronto traffic...but so boring!

Dazz, Yes I need to get those things pried up somehow...just worried about them a little bit. There are 2 roofs for that model vehicle according to the Parts Department at my local dealer, but they're not sure which one is which and what the difference are...go figure...I found a body shop that's willing to look into it, I just need to get them the VIN. And my cousin found some rails in Europe he can buy for me and ship or give me next time I go.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Reading your original text, indicates the manual is dearer,

"My biggest regret...not buying the manual transmission. I looked into it, and the costs don't justify it."

which is why I asked. The auto is always more expensive in other countries too.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :brilliant: posting mim.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:  I'm no boy racer,but my car looks like i am.  :snigger: :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline mimico_polak

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Toronto, Ontario
OK so here's the update, I found the following link:

http://www.jimellishyundaiparts.com/images/parts/Hyundai/fullsize/KHMAPJD0786-87202.jpg

which basically outlines every item required for installation of the rack system on this car. Now I'm awaiting their confirmation that the Canadian car has the same roof as the American/European car...I still haven't taken off the striping to verify the bolting underneath. Summing up all the parts it's about $550 for everything...plus shipping and install I'm probably looking close to 700-800 which is def higher than I want for a look. Hell I may order them in Europe and grab them next time I'm there. I'm sure they'd be much cheaper.

Phil, sorry what I meant was that the price to convert my car from auto to manual is too much to justify the expense.

2i30s...thanks! I'm def not a boy racer (never really was) I just want a nice clean look to the car...hopefully make the ride a bit crisp with the lower springs.

Offline mimico_polak

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Toronto, Ontario
Ok so here's the update...this is the following response from Hyundai dealer here in Ontario:

Good Morning

I looked at the link , we cannot source Hyundai parts from other countries
If you bought this item , it would be hard to install
The roof headliner must be removed from your car
Than holes would have to be drilled into the roof and they would need to be precise
It bolts from the inside .
You could always buy it from the dealer in your link
If you get their part number for the roof , it will be different because it will already have
Pre drilled holes in the roof

This is the roof I found on their site, which shows only one roof for the model...

http://www.jimellishyundaiparts.com/images/parts/Hyundai/fullsize/KHMAPJD0781-83002.jpg

And here are the rails:

http://www.jimellishyundaiparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1105509&ukey_make=1033&ukey_model=14681&modelYear=2012&ukey_category=19639&searchString=touring%20roof%20panel

So unfortunately it looks like I'm SOL on this one:( My buddy is convinced that the rails will mount, but he wants to take a look so I'll update if there's any change. We just need to remove the weather stiping on the roof to see whats under there.

Update....

Opened up the weather stripping on the roof...no mounting holes for the side rails :( Only the clips for the stripping. $700 saved! Although I can't believe they'd make such a change from the US to Canadian market...seems stupid to me to have 2 different roofs for the North American market...ah well.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 20:21:26 by mimico_polak »

Offline mimico_polak

• 1st Gear

• ca Canada
      Toronto, Ontario
in my previous post...damnit!

On Friday I wanted to go out for lunch and driving the car held first gear and BOOM it shifted into 4th. Wouldn't shit down while I went to Rona for a delicious hot dog! Afterwards the system seemed reset and once again BOOM! Held first up to redline and then dropped into 4th with a thud...Called the dealership and #1 they refused to give me a rental vehicle because I don't have the 'extended' warranty and a rental/loaner is not part of my warranty term. #2 out without a car all weekend (thank goodness for my motorcycle and no rain!) #3 this morning I find out I need a new transmission!

That's another 2-3 days without a car...not a happy camper right now. I always spoke very highly of the car, and believe it's got a ton of good features but I am shocked a tranny would fail under 26,000km...

Rant over, thanks for listening!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That is bad news indeed.  :fum:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Geez, these auto trannies are getting a reputation and it ain't good... :eek:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal