i30 Owners Club

2013 i30 GD DIESEL two wks review

melfes · 21 · 23212

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Hi all,

Got the diesel active on 28th June and would like to contribute some thoughts on this car:

Pros in addition to those have been commonly mentioned:
1, Cruise control really handy. Sometimes I get a situation where I floor the gas but no instant response; yet if I use cruise control to increase, I do get an increase almost instantly, even in high speed.

2, Long service interval and very few items to be serviced. Reoccurring Just Engine oil, oil filter, fuel cartridge, cabin air filter and air filter.
Im coming from a Hyundai 1998 where every two service you need to replace clutch oil, brake oil, steer oil and coolant, none of which is required in i30 as far as the Manual writes.

This totally blows me away as I didnt know before buying except the long interval or maybe this is a norm for nowadays cars? 

A few Cons that I have noticed:

1, The biggest gripe: Horrendous throttle response. Foot down then sometimes you get to wait a few seconds for the car to suddenly wake up and rev up.
Its not the turbo lag, its just poor throttle control.

2, Speed not displayed digitally

3, Somehow my Boot interior lamp is not working..just two wks. Only noticed when I came back from Kiama and it was dark.

4, When you turn off the touch screen, it will be waken up by any steer mount controls like volume + . Personally I'd expect the screen to stay off for these common and frequent tunes. At least this is what you get from the phone when listening to mp3. screen stays off so you dont have to turn it off over n over and saves energy.

For fuel consumption:

I took a trip to Kiama on Sat from Syd.
Fill up the tank (Voltex premium), drove return for 300KM and the avg is 4.9L/100KM, which i think its pretty good as there are still some traffics out n back in town.

Conclusion,

For the money, its a great car despite those cons. They will be icing on the top if fixed tho.
Hope the quality holds up in the future

• i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If you're critical of throttle response, you need to simulate your actions exactly in a similar car, to prove yours is in need of attention.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
melfes,typical small diesel,if you want great throttle responses,you can't let your revs drop below 2000 rpm,there is a an old saying,for driving any diesel,if you want preformance,you have to drive it like you stole it,any time I have poor throttle responce is simply I am off the boost point,both my diesels are adequate,Cyril the poverty pack we have is the better as I have had the ECU tweaked(by Hy),

Unless Hy has drastically changed it's servicing requirements,all the oils still have to be changed on certain services,I must admit the screen turning back on when you use the wheel controls is annoying,I clearly know what I am doing when I press the control,I don't need to be reminded visually.

Enjoy your new car
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
To your observations I would add dead steering. Its no fun on the twisty bits which is hardly surprising I suppose. But I continue to suspect better tires might help a bit.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Pip
Its not the turbo lag...
Yes it is.

To your observations I would add dead steering. Its no fun on the twisty bits which is hardly surprising I suppose. But I continue to suspect better tires might help a bit.
And a stiffer rear roll-bar. Won't fix the dead steering but it will go around corners better. :goodjob2: At least in my FD is did. New one has different suspension (in OZ) so dunno. :undecided: It might not even have a roll-bar because the suspension is designed as a virtual roll-bar anyway.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Keith, I've seen your comment about this before. My steering is positive and responsive. Coming from two Subarus before it, that's high praise in my book. I love driving it on twisty bits.
Is it possible your steering is different because it has a heavier (?) diesel engine? What do other drivers think?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Coming from Holden's (one not power assisted), I find the FD steering very nice indeed. However if you're coming from something European, it could be possible to be slightly critical.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
My steering was really good until the recently posted problem with it.
I cancelled its booking as I wasn't happy with where the dealership was going with it but it is something that needs to be addressed  in my car.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
What's your next move :question:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I think I'll try another dealership.
I have a couple of warranty issues that require attention.
Firstly the steering, secondly an oil leak around No. 1 cylinder.
I had to put 1 litre of oil in a couple of days ago between services.  :disapp:
I just don't feel confident trusting Hyundai dealerships.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
While I think the steering is a little vague in the straight ahead position, in corners I find it quite fun....there's no way I would call it "dead".....   :undecided:

ouri30
I think I'll try another dealership.
I just don't feel confident trusting Hyundai dealerships.

:undecided:  I can understand your apprehension.  If I had been stuffed around in my warranty and service then I would feel the same.  Fortunately, my dealership has been tops.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
What's your next move :question:

Depends on which direction his steering pulls him... :whistler:

It is all a bit sad Dave (these issues at an early stage)  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Time to replace, Alan likes his car :exclaim:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I don't see them as major issues.
It just depends on the "will" of the dealerships to fix them.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
i can understand that the steering lacks "feel" and will to resume aft turning.

two questions:

1 do you guys let the engine idle for a while to cool off after normal (non-highway and not towing) driving, like urban driving, stop and start?
The manual only says that it requires a minute after high-speed or engine is heavily loaded.

2, The ECO mode, what is the trick it employs to be economical? Lower Revs sacrificing performance ?
 Would it be bad for quicker sludge deposit?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:25:42 by melfes »
  • i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I always idle mine down a bit (how long depending on conditions).

As far as the Eco button goes, as I understand it, it just alters the shift points to change to a higher gear at lower revs thereby theoretically conserving fuel.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I do not idle down, unless as advised by the manual.

Offline pug20g

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
4, When you turn off the touch screen, it will be waken up by any steer mount controls like volume + . Personally I'd expect the screen to stay off for these common and frequent tunes. At least this is what you get from the phone when listening to mp3. screen stays off so you dont have to turn it off over n over and saves energy.

Agree with your gripe - I think Hyundai could program it in such that it dims back after 5 or 10 sec - enough time for you to visually confirm the change if you wish.
  • 2014 Hyundai i30 GD Trophy CRDi

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Great write up and I agree with all of it.

Fit a superchip or similar and that removes most of the lag.
  • i30 CRDi Sport

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Does the 2014 GD screen stay in night mode when put into it?

The i40 did and the Cee'd does, it is odd the little things that you would expect to be the same but are not, for instance does any of the i30 range have automatic folding mirrors with proximity sensing or puddle lamps or illuminated door handles?
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal